Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order I-Pace but now delivery date is March-April 2019. So I'm thinking that maybe I should wait 2020 model if 3-phase charger is available then. But is it coming? I've seen hints that JRL has promised it but can't find any concrete info. So has anyone real info of 3-phase charger or is it just wishful thinking?

Stacie from JRL said in July: "Unfortunately we are unable to provide any comment on future programmes. "
https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=344

G

·
No company releasing a new product to market will talk about features in upcoming products.

They may make comments like "we would love to introduce this feature in future updates" ... or " It's something we are looking into" ... but they will never commit and never give a date. That's common sense and good business.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Product Font Material property Magenta Parallel

this was posted elsewhere on here by somebody else; no idea if it's genuine or not.......

also heard a rumour today that 3p might appear in a MY 2019.5 update; and a story that Audi had pre-ordered all the 3p onboard chargers whilst JLR had beaten Audi by pre-ordering all the batteries !

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Billy Bunter said:
jaguar ipace 3 phase acdc charger tbc.jpg
this was posted elsewhere on here by somebody else; no idea if it's genuine or not.......

also heard a rumour today that 3p might appear in a MY 2019.5 update; and a story that Audi had pre-ordered all the 3p onboard chargers whilst JLR had beaten Audi by pre-ordering all the batteries !

·
Registered
528 Posts
R32Paul said:
When is the MY 19.5 update?
no idea. Just referring to the next update which I suppose will be next year.
Someone told me that JLR normally do this in the Summer, but it may be a completely different story for iPace.......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Talked last weekend at an event to an engineer of JLR. He couldn't give a release date but he mentioned that they had problems with the supplier of the 3P in-car charger. He confirmed that it will come and he confirmed that it will be possible to install it in already delivered cars. This is different to what my dealer said, he told me that I will not be possible to install the 3P charger in an already delivered car. So far so good, don't know what's true

·
Registered
528 Posts
d111112 said:
snip ...he mentioned that they had problems with the supplier of the 3P in-car charger....
sort of consistent with the story I heard about Audi above...

d111112 said:
snip ...He confirmed that it will come and he confirmed that it will be possible to install it in already delivered cars.
that would be great news !
In some ways they will be crucified if they dont find a way to make this backward compatible for all those first buy customers (who should probably be the ones most deserving of better treatment).

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
d111112 said:
He confirmed that it will come and he confirmed that it will be possible to install it in already delivered cars. This is different to what my dealer said, he told me that I will not be possible to install the 3P charger in an already delivered car. So far so good, don't know what's true
Keep us updated - so far all information I got from anyone in Jaguar (dealer, Stacie & customer relations) is that building in 3 phase loader after car is build is not feasible as it is a closed electric circuit. Indicating that many things would require to be replaced/adjusted including software.

So maybe technical it is possible but the price tag far exceeds the cost of a Setec converter or even a home DC charger.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Billy Bunter said:
jaguar ipace 3 phase acdc charger tbc.jpg

Was me. Got it from Jaguar Switzerland and was told back then that order post June will be del as of March 2019 in 3 phases.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
snip... so far all information I got from anyone in Jaguar (dealer, Stacie & customer relations) is that building in 3 phase loader after car is build is not feasible as it is a closed electric circuit. Indicating that many things would require to be replaced/adjusted including software.
Just thinking about this......

They must be able to replace a broken 1P converter
The physical size of the 3P converter must be compatible with the general design of the car
The output of a 1P converter is DC, the same as a 3P converter
The external connections already support connecting a 3P converter
--> So physically it must be relatively easy to install a 3P converter in the same space as a 1P converter

The unknown is whether they designed the electrics to be compatible with a 3P converter already ? ie:
from input plug to converter (all phases wired with sufficient capacity)
from converter output to the internal DC interface (which has to carry 3x the DC current)
and if there's different additional logic circuitry associated with the 1P charger

If the design was always built to be forward compatible (saves on tooling costs and design changes) then it is possible that most of this is already in place, though it's possible that there are specific components that are 1P specific. The difficult things would be if they have hard-wired some bits as "1P only" to save production cost on the first models - then it might not be feasible.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Max69 said:
Got it from Jaguar Switzerland and was told back then that order post June will be del as of March 2019 in 3 phases.
Checked yesterday with Italian jaguar dealer and I was told 3 phases charger won't be available until 2020..,

·
Registered
730 Posts
johnd said:
kermit68 said:
Checked yesterday with Italian jaguar dealer and I was told 3 phases charger won't be available until 2020..,
Is that 2020 or MY20? Could be quite a difference.
He told me deliveries in 2020. I presume early 2020 deliveries, but on this point he was not so sure. Bottom line is that there is no point in expecting 3 phases charger in 2019, at least according to what he told me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still hard to believe that the Jaguar design department did not do the benchmark with Tesla on 3 phase charging. The latter is an absolute prerequisite for "Destination Charging" . Here in NL most Public charges are now providing 22kW AC charging power. This means a Tesla will add about 80km/ hour during a charging session. This is in most instances enough to return home without additional charging stops after having for example a business meeting, diner or visiting friends.

Looks like the Jaguar application engineers are not yet up to speed with all the ins and outs of EV driving even after Tesla being now on the market for over 5 years!. In my humble opinion Jaguar MUST make a 3 phase charging upgrade available for existing owners to make this car a practical every day use EV.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sikko said:
Still hard to believe that the Jaguar design department did not do the benchmark with Tesla on 3 phase charging. The latter is an absolute prerequisite for "Destination Charging" . Here in NL most Public charges are now providing 22kW AC charging power. This means a Tesla will add about 80km/ hour during a charging session. This is in most instances enough to return home without additional charging stops after having for example a business meeting, diner or visiting friends.

Looks like the Jaguar application engineers are not yet up to speed with all the ins and outs of EV driving even after Tesla being now on the market for over 5 years!. In my humble opinion Jaguar MUST make a 3 phase charging upgrade available for existing owners to make this car a practical every day use EV.
Fully agree with you however realize that Jaguar is British and 3 phase connections are nearly non existing in UK for private homes. In UK you easily get 60-80A single phase connection at little extra cost so a 1 phase 32A charger makes perfect sense for UK customers in the head of those engineers stupidly not realizing that all of continental Europe started moving to 3 phase connections decades ago.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Sikko said:

Fully agree with you however realize that Jaguar is British and 3 phase connections are nearly non existing in UK for private homes. In UK you easily get 60-80A single phase connection at little extra cost so a 1 phase 32A charger makes perfect sense for UK customers in the head of those engineers stupidly not realizing that all of continental Europe started moving to 3 phase connections decades ago.
Although, for which market are they building..? UK only..??

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
In France their was a lot of 3 phases in the past but it tends to disappear in now days houses. The subscription is more expensive and all modern devices doesn't use it

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Bart said:
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Sikko said:

Although, for which market are they building..? UK only..??
Unless you have a car that can do both it is probably better to err on the side of caution and safety and for a first release go with single phase.
That is more common across the world in homes than 3-ph beyond the fuseboard/breaker box.

I'm sure that in time it won't be an issue. We have to remember that this is JLR 1st EV. Things will get better.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts