Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late order for a pre-configured SE, collected mid Sept :) What can I tell you?

- 20" wheels, no air suspension: much firmer/sportier than my previous S claass Merc. I would have gone for air suspension if I could

- Several Tesla drivers have had a drive in it: consensus is that a) the I-Pace doesn't rattle like the Tesla b) Jaguar build quality is way better and c) Tesla software is light years better

- Best? The look, the power, the quietness as you glide around car parks, the looks of admiration and surprise, the feeling of righteousness... Great to drive, comfortable, safe, good sound system, integrates well with my iPhone for Spotify/calls

- Worst? Harsh ride on bumpy back roads, s l o w response on software, complicated apps that aren't that consistent or reliable or easy to use, massive use of data (which having bought loads of extra Gb of, I've now turned off - so no traffic info or live feed stuff :-( ). I wish someone in s/w design at Jaguar would buy a Tesla and learn... Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took delivery of my I-Pace on 22 Sept and had used up the free data allowance on the complimentary JLR sim by September 23rd. I think it has more to do with your phone using the car as a Wi-Fi hotspot. You have to turn the hotspot on to first enable the online traffic for example, but need to turn it off afterwards or make sure your phone doesn't connect to it. At least that's what I think has happened.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Neilkmorgan said:
I took delivery of my I-Pace on 22 Sept and had used up the free data allowance on the complimentary JLR sim by September 23rd. I think it has more to do with your phone using the car as a Wi-Fi hotspot. You have to turn the hotspot on to first enable the online traffic for example, but need to turn it off afterwards or make sure your phone doesn't connect to it. At least that's what I think has happened.
What is the free data allowance on the JLR sim? We are switching from a Tesla (where such things are never considerations) and are admittedly a little surprised by "old" feel that the tech solutions by JLR are giving off. Slow, un-intuitive and now silly things like a data limit. Are we really going to have to buy our own larger data allowance for the car to work as intended? Just silly and old fashioned thinking...

Much like the 1-phase charger and the (to date) much higher energy consumption we've been reading about - so less efficient or fast without a true solution for longer drives where it actually becomes more of an issue (let's rely on someone else's charging network).

Jag appears to have built a great car but executed the whole EV-thing poorer than Tesla - who started 6 (!) years ago with the above. It can't be a surprise to JLR...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi KafkaH, 500mb per month for the warranty of the car. I have had the car for 2 weeks & still have lot left over. TBH nowadays your own phone contract come with what I feel is enough data that you hardly use the one provided.
Regards.

G

·
So is the 'trick' to make sure that the car is plugged into a mains supply, and connected to the local WiFi network whenever parked up, so that OTA updates can bypass the onboard SIM?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes I guess so according to JLR staff I met at the Paris Motor Show

·
Registered
34 Posts
nipri said:
Hi KafkaH, 500mb per month for the warranty of the car. I have had the car for 2 weeks & still have lot left over. TBH nowadays your own phone contract come with what I feel is enough data that you hardly use the one provided.
Regards.
I agree, my phone contract comes with unlimited data throughout Europe. So my personal phone is not the issue, but then again: 500mb is next to nothing nowadays - particularly if OTA updates eat into it. There is no guarantee that my car will be within range of WiFi when it is updated.

I really like the look of the car, I am convinced it drives better than the Tesla and is made of better materials. Jag has developed a great car. Just not so sure it's been able to develop a great next-gen connected EV... Lots of apparent legacy car maker things, it appears!

Of course, the real test will be when we take delivery of ours in December. But, contrary to our previous thinking, we may keep the Tesla a little while longer!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today received letter from my dealer.
They claim you'll need minimum 1Gb data subscription.

Databundel
Het is belangrijk dat u een micro-simkaart met data (minimaal 1 GB) in uw I-Pace plaatst, zodat wij 'over the air' uw auto up-to-date kunnen houden. Naast updaten op afstand beschikt de auto ook over veel handige apps waar u data voor nodig heeft.

U kunt deze simkaart toevoegen op uw huidige telefoonabonnement. Voor vragen kunt u terecht bij uw provider van uw mobiele telefoon.
Don't ask me why!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Strange because it is better to upgrade using WiFi and as far as navigation is concerned the IPACE navigation system will not give the chargers status in real time - but only their locations . Should you use Carplay or Android Auto you need your phone data plan .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Denlas said:
Today received letter from my dealer.
They claim you'll need minimum 1Gb data subscription.

Databundel
Het is belangrijk dat u een micro-simkaart met data (minimaal 1 GB) in uw I-Pace plaatst, zodat wij 'over the air' uw auto up-to-date kunnen houden. Naast updaten op afstand beschikt de auto ook over veel handige apps waar u data voor nodig heeft.

U kunt deze simkaart toevoegen op uw huidige telefoonabonnement. Voor vragen kunt u terecht bij uw provider van uw mobiele telefoon.
Don't ask me why!
So a data only SIM is sufficient? In another threat somebody claimed that you also need voice for the on call and emergency aid system or is that handled via a built in SIM?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You can access the emergency aid system from your phone InControl JLR app

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just added some 60% at a Fastned 175kwh charger on the A2 near IJsselstein after driving 130-150 km/hour with lots of fast accelarations 😁. Loading capacity sofar about 82kw/hour. Works good. Would be nice to charge at 125kw speed. Still, some time to learn all settings is also good for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Actually your car charged 33KWh in 25,5 minutes which represents about a 78KW speed
or am i missing something ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts