Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29th July 2022

Does any know if the cars 4G internet connection can (1) be used as a regular WiFi hotspot (MiFi) and (2) if so are there charges to use it while travelling in the EU? At the moment I use a 5G unlimited dongle that I had before I got the iPace which is reliable but I may not take it abroad with me and was wondering if I could connect my iPad to the cars 4G service to use it as a moving map?
What do you guys use for digital maps in your cars?

·
Registered
304 Posts
It can be used as a hotspot, you just look for the internet connection called JAG*** and join it. If it asks for a password it will be in the connectivity section (all setting/connectivity).

No idea on the roaming part but my son will let me know if we ever go over the border between North/Rep of Ireland and it fails :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It can be used as a hotspot, you just look for the internet connection called JAG*** and join it. If it asks for a password it will be in the connectivity section (all setting/connectivity).

No idea on the roaming part but my son will let me know if we ever go over the border between North/Rep of Ireland and it fails :D
Hi ICDP_EV

Thanks for the feedback ICDP_EV. As I’ve been using my Dongle I didn’t think about the 4G connectivity of the vehicle as Google Maps was on the iPad using the Dongles WiFi. I haven’t really thought about the cost or subscription charges but apparently it comes under the 3 year warranty. Come to think of it…I have no idea who is paying for the 4G connection at all?!! I thought it was just for SOTA? I’ll have to find out about the roaming as now I know I can connect my iPad I can use Goodge maps and leave my family with the Dongle.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That's very interesting.... But did you purchased the Hotspot option for PiviPro? Because I didn't (according to the manual it should have been possible to use a owner sim under the armrest) and I was never able to use the car connectivity for my tablet

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's very interesting.... But did you purchased the Hotspot option for PiviPro? Because I didn't (according to the manual it should have been possible to use a owner sim under the armrest) and I was never able to use the car connectivity for my tablet
Hi Kermitt68
My vehicle is a June 2020 iPace with Touch Pro Duo. There is a SIM in the slot under arm rest but it’s never been touched by me and was there when we bought the vehicle from the vehicle. I just spent 10 minutes in the car and connected my iPad to the Vehicles HotSpot without issue but it said ‘no internet connection’. I made sure my phone was set to aircraft mode so the car couldn’t connect to it and I selected mobile data on the TouchPro screen and it provided a 4G signal and I was able to use Google Maps and find the BBC news web page. In the top left corner of Infotainment screen it showed it searching for a signal and then 4G popped up. I have no idea if this is the sim it is using or if it is already paid for or comes as part of the TouchPro Connectivity package but it’s there and works. It’s definitely not my sim and I have no contract with any network for the car. Sorry I can’t provide more information but that’s as much as I know at the moment. The car was bought 2nd hand at 18 months old from JLR dealership.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No there is no Hotspot option in my InControl profile. All I can confirm is when I did a search for WiFi connection on my son's iPad it came up JAGxxxxxxx and it let me join.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No there is no Hotspot option in my InControl profile. All I can confirm is when I did a search for WiFi connection on my son's iPad it came up JAGxxxxxxx and it let me join.
Yep…same here. Settings/Connectivity/Hotspot and it displays HOTSPOT ID JAGF2674AA and the Password and I just connected. Then I turned on the cars Mobile Data.
I would like know if there is some hidden subscription or charge somewhere? I haven’t been offered anything to read about prices or terms and conditions. All I know is it works.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ICDP_EV and Kermitt68 it would seem that under the 3 year warranty you get 500mb of data per month allowance as part of the Connectivity service. I found that from an old thread. The information may not still be valid and may have changed but would explain why I have an internet connection.

I have no idea how long 500mb would last for navigation using Google maps but I made the mistake of leaving my mobile on entering Switzerland 2 years ago and it cleaned £10 of my account in 2 hours. After 2 hours into a four hour journey from Basel to Chiasso it said ‘no internet connection’ and my balance was £0. I rang the phone company baffled as to why it worked and then stopped and they told me Switzerland had different charging prices as a Non EU country. That’s was with O2. With EE Switzerland is part of the EU for UK mobile phone roaming. I won’t make that mistake again! Luckily this year I have 600gigabytes of roaming data for my Europe trip.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would imagine the hotspot data is quite limited and if 500mb per month is true, then they may as well not have included it quite frankly. More importantly the Jaguar site says the traffic data is unlimited for my 3 year ownership period. I only tried the hotspot feature briefly before turning it off. Not because of space but because I have a decent data package with my mobile phone already.

Music streaming is also unlimted according to the Pivi Pro site, though I rarely listen to music in the car if I am on my own. I much prefer silence and have been told I am OCD about creaks and squeaks in cars but it's not OCD, I just hear them all because I drive with no music. One of the first settings I turned off was the dynamic sound that pretends to be a very cheesy ZX Spectrum game engine noise.

Hmmm, maybe I have an undiagnosed ism. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would imagine the hotspot data is quite limited and if 500mb per month is true, then they may as well not have included it quite frankly. More importantly the Jaguar site says the traffic data is unlimited for my 3 year ownership period. I only tried the hotspot feature briefly before turning it off. Not because of space but because I have a decent data package with my mobile phone already.

Music streaming is also unlimted according to the Pivi Pro site, though I rarely listen to music in the car if I am on my own. I much prefer silence and have been told I am OCD about creaks and squeaks in cars but it's not OCD, I just hear them all because I drive with no music. One of the first settings I turned off was the dynamic sound that pretends to be a very cheesy ZX Spectrum game engine noise.

Hmmm, maybe I have an undiagnosed ism. :)
Every time I take a sharp 90 degree left turn with a speed hump on it I hear this creak from the back of the car… makes me wonder if the chassis is bending?

I’ll have to find out more about the traffic data and which bits are unlimited and not.

·
Registered
852 Posts
On Pivi Pro or Touch COntrol Duo? What MY is your car? Because models MY19/20 have Touch Control Duo and as far as I remember from my first I-Pace, you have to put your own sim under the armrest in order to have traffic info and a working wifi hotspot with data.
On MY21/22 (Pivi Pro) it's different: you always get traffic info thru one e-sim of the car (3 years subscription with car purchase) and you only get wifi hotspot if you selected such option when purchasing the car. If you succeded in getting a working wifi hotspot on a MY21/22 withtout having the option activated it means JLR has changed something. Or they did mess up someting with the wireless Android Auto release enabling by mistake the wifi option too .... :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
MY2022 with Pivi Pro.

Just had my first traffic jam today and the I-Pace "traffic info" showed nothing but clear roads. Not impressed and checked my settings are OK.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Hi Kermitt68
My vehicle is a June 2020 iPace with Touch Pro Duo. There is a SIM in the slot under arm rest but it’s never been touched by me and was there when we bought the vehicle from the vehicle. I just spent 10 minutes in the car and connected my iPad to the Vehicles HotSpot without issue but it said ‘no internet connection’. I made sure my phone was set to aircraft mode so the car couldn’t connect to it and I selected mobile data on the TouchPro screen and it provided a 4G signal and I was able to use Google Maps and find the BBC news web page. In the top left corner of Infotainment screen it showed it searching for a signal and then 4G popped up. I have no idea if this is the sim it is using or if it is already paid for or comes as part of the TouchPro Connectivity package but it’s there and works. It’s definitely not my sim and I have no contract with any network for the car. Sorry I can’t provide more information but that’s as much as I know at the moment. The car was bought 2nd hand at 18 months old from JLR dealership.
The accessible SIM requires an account with a service provider. It came with a UBIGI 500mb SIM which was provided with the car but only valid for three years. If the account has not be started then you will have no connection. I did not bother with the Ubigi but bought myself a '3' data card for £10 a month for 10 Gb of data.

·
Registered
852 Posts
MY2022 with Pivi Pro.

Just had my first traffic jam today and the I-Pace "traffic info" showed nothing but clear roads. Not impressed and checked my settings are OK.
It's a little bit strange: it maybe not as fast as Google in showing traffic jams but in my experience it's quite reliable. Did you get "4G" on the car signal panel? Can you see any red line (traffic jam) in the map in any location?

With regards to Wifi Hot spot, I checked on my car Pivi Pro connectivity setting page but I couldn't find any password for the Wifi. Would you mind to post a picture of your setting page? Just to let me know if we have different configurations (maybe hotspot is a standard feature on MY22 ...) or if I'm looking in the wrong spot ...

Reactions: electric beagle

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is no option to display traffic info on map within my navigation settings. 4G is on and I am able to get weather updates for example.

For password info on Pivi Pro check out the 1m mark on this video. It's a different vehicle but should be the same.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The accessible SIM requires an account with a service provider. It came with a UBIGI 500mb SIM which was provided with the car but only valid for three years. If the account has not be started then you will have no connection. I did not bother with the Ubigi but bought myself a '3' data card for £10 a month for 10 Gb of data.
Afternoon elbocko

I suspect then that the UBIGI 500mb (hardly worth it installing) must have been activated by the previous owner or dealership. Luckily I have an Unlimited 5G data plan for £20 in the UK that comes with 600GBs of roaming data so I’ll probably stick with the dongle I have.

I was just curious about the cars Hotspot capabilities and wondered where it was getting its 4G connection from. Our dealership never explained anything about the Connectivity system or services.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is no option to display traffic info on map within my navigation settings. 4G is on and I am able to get weather updates for example.

For password info on Pivi Pro check out the 1m mark on this video. It's a different vehicle but should be the same.

That is a really lovely infotainment screen! It looks so much larger than in my iPace and so much better laid out… that’ll be on the wish list!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks. My screen shows only "Connectivity" while the one in the video shows "Hotspot/Connectivity". I guess I'm back to my starting point: not having purchased the Hotspot option I'm not getting that available. Thanks anyway.

With regards to traffic info, have you selected something like "City Map 3D beta" (or similar, my menu is in italian)? It prevents traffic from being shown when you are in an area with 3D buildings on the map.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep, 11.4" vs 10" in the I-Pace

Do you have the option for Traffic Displayed On Map?

It is missing in mine and I just had to endure a 50 minute traffic jam because my Sat Nav showed clear roads. Or so I thought.

3D buildings are off and I do have 4G etc, verified by looking at live weather.

Font Gadget Electronic device Display device Electric blue

1 - 20 of 25 Posts