Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

5th Gear Clip

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Tophe74 
#1 ·

#8 ·
Last Saturday I had to park the car on a bumpy and very wet grassfield at a soccer club where my son had to play. I certainly wouldn't have dared that in my old Skoda Octavia.
After the match for sure I had the least problems of all visitors, not a single problem to get grip, it drove like it was on tarmac.
2 others cars needed a push and 1 had to be pulled out by local farmer.

That said I would not take my Blue Beauty off roading like Bjorn did, I also do not have air suspension. But driving on a dirt road, across a grassfield or up a snowy mountain should be little to no problem at all, certainly not when also activating ASPC.

#9 ·
I spent yesterday learning how to drive a £130k Range Rover off road at the Land Rover Experience at Rockingham! An amazing experience but not to take your own car on! It's very disconcerting to be leaning over at 30 degrees even though you are told it will take over 45 degrees!

However, I did find that you can go on specially organised 'green road' trips designed for 4WD cars led by an expert guide and staying on public roads although they involve many roads that ordinary cars could not get through. They are environmentally friendly and your normal insurance covers you. The one I saw photos of involved two days driving round North Wales.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thincat said:
I spent yesterday learning how to drive a £130k Range Rover off road at the Land Rover Experience at Rockingham! An amazing experience but not to take your own car on! It's very disconcerting to be leaning over at 30 degrees even though you are told it will take over 45 degrees!

However, I did find that you can go on specially organised 'green road' trips designed for 4WD cars led by an expert guide and staying on public roads although they involve many roads that ordinary cars could not get through. They are environmentally friendly and your normal insurance covers you. The one I saw photos of involved two days driving round North Wales.
I've done a few Land Rover Experience days in various cars RR's and LR's and also in my own Discovery Sport, it is amazing what these cars can actually do off road.

#12 ·
Cornishblue said:
It seems quite capable off-road according to reviews I've seen and read, including this

What's a little odd is that there should be another longish I-Pace episode from Fullychargedshow involving a European road trip and apparently filmed 6-8 weeks ago or more, but which I've still not seen released. Wonder what's holding it up?

#14 ·
johnd said:
Cornishblue said:
It seems quite capable off-road according to reviews I've seen and read, including this

What's a little odd is that there should be another longish I-Pace episode from Fullychargedshow involving a European road trip and apparently filmed 6-8 weeks ago or more, but which I've still not seen released. Wonder what's holding it up?
I think, that some episodes are being released to Patreon subscribers only at the moment, not sure if this is one of them, or if they then release them to everyone else eventually, but one I watched recently stated that Patreon subscribers would have access to a much longer episode.

Might be way off course with this theory, who knows?

#15 ·
ChrisMc said:
I've done a few Land Rover Experience days in various cars RR's and LR's and also in my own Discovery Sport, it is amazing what these cars can actually do off road.
We did a LR Experience day a couple of weeks after we got our first Evoque at Eastnor - quite amazing to see muddy water coming over the bonnet when you are in a river. For a Fashion accessory (a description often levelled at the Evoque) I couldn't believe it.

About 3 weeks later I was staying with a doctor friend when there was a knock at the door, someone had broken their leg at the top of a nearby mountain. Buoyed by my LR Experience Day I offered to take them up the mountain in our Evoque, my friend laughed (he had a Mercedes 4x4 - that was always getting stuck) - but they decided to give it a go, as we left the mud track up what appeared to be a wall of mud the car drove as if it was on rails - nobody in the car could believe it (including me).
I dropped the Doc and the friend of injured off, then went back to the bottom to wait for the ambulance.
When I got there the ambulance was stuck in the mud track.
The two ambulance men put all their stuff including some bottles of gas in the back of the Evoque and off we went again.
I waited up the top while all the medics did their stuff - they were debating whether to put the injured party in the Evoque to be taken down when the Ambulance Discovery arrived.
Needless to say they were rather surprised to see an Evoque at the top.

The fact that the I-Pace went through similar / same development and test procedures as other LR products fills me with a great deal of confidence knowing that most probably I will lose my nerve before the car loses traction.
Most owners will never get to see what an incredible machine they have - I feel very fortunate to have had a glimpse.

#16 ·
I also had an Evoque and did a LR Experience in it, its amazing what they can actually do, we even went up and down a flight of concrete stairs and the best was going down a steep hill with sets of rollers built into the face of it, the Evoque never wavered, came down with HDM on and didn,t skid once, took it all in its stride, so going up a muddy mountain is child's play :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.