Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My I-Pace hit 90,000 miles yesterday, and still giving me good range.
I don't think I will hit the 100K as I think my new car should arrive by then, but in this current world of shortages and delays, who knows?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
68 Posts
My I-Pace hit 90,000 miles yesterday, and still giving me good range.
I don't think I will hit the 100K as I think my new car should arrive by then, but in this current world of shortages and delays, who knows?
View attachment 7421
That‘s really encouraging. What proportion of your charging is at home vs. fast/rapid charging and do you typically charge to 80% as per Jaguar recommendation?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That‘s really encouraging. What proportion of your charging is at home vs. fast/rapid charging and do you typically charge to 80% as per Jaguar recommendation?
In those 90,000 miles I have only ever charged away from home 5 or 6 times, and even then it was only on 50kWh chargers.
Charged every day, and always to 100%.

·
Registered
102 Posts
do you typically charge to 80% as per Jaguar recommendation?
Paul - Where does Jaguar recommend charging to 80%? A lot of people seem to believe it but there’s no evidence to support the notion as far as I can see. The car is designed to charge to “100%” and Jaguar recommends plugging the car in overnight so you start the day with a full charge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's awesome. It seems to confirm that the I Pace does a good job of maintaining the health of the traction battery. Just curious ... are you on your original 12V batteries?

Paul - Where does Jaguar recommend charging to 80%? A lot of people seem to believe it but there’s no evidence to support the notion as far as I can see. The car is designed to charge to “100%” and Jaguar recommends plugging the car in overnight so you start the day with a full charge.
I think the 80% charging preference is from two sources: (1) extrapolation from the fact that the car reduces charging speed when on a Level 3 charger at 80% and above; and (2) the reduced regenerative braking when at a SOC above 90%.

I don't think that extrapolation from level three charging behavior to level two charging is born out by empirical evidence (see OP), or at least it isn't measurable. Also, there may be some rebalancing benefits to charging to 100%. There are charts floating around that suggest the car rebalances when it hits each 5% mark on the SOC, but it appears that the there is a more significant rebalancing at 100%.

I generally keep the car between 50% and 85% SOC for my regular routine and py ump it up to 100% whenever I go on longer trips. I doubt that it matters much on the I Pace.

ETA: I think folks are also extrapolating from experience with other devices. My MacBook Pro, for example, automatically stops charging at 80% because I'm rarely off the plug for long. My routine of keeping devices between 50% and 80% has certainly increased the battery life on my personal devices (phone, iPad), compared to my wife who charges her phone to 100% multiple times each day. Again, I don't think that this extrapolation to the I Pace is supported by the data, but I can see why folks may follow the same charging patterns on their I Pace in an abundance of caution.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome. It seems to confirm that the I Pace does a good job of maintaining the health of the traction battery. Just curious ... are you on your original 12V batteries?
Yes, original 12v battery

·
Registered
68 Posts
it’s in the EV menu it suggests a charging limit for daily driving and only charging to 100% for trips.. but given Pacesetter’s experience I’m now wondering if it’s necessary to follow this approach.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
MY19, Yulong White Metallic, Siena Tan, 20" Black, Pano.
14 Posts
That is remarkably encouraging. JLR should bring you to the mountain top and celebrate your experience. You have proven out the I-Pace technology, and your story should be told worldwide. So many EV fans would welcome hearing it. JLR...are you listening?

·
Registered
544 Posts
MY19 and MY21 use the same tech (battery, modules, …). So if JLR ( or LG because, bottom line this is LG who will honor the warranty) think we should stop at 80%, they should push an update on InControlTouch Pro system, otherwise that does not make sense. And what about cell balancing ? Only when we charge at 100% ? If yes, those who stop at 80% will never get through the cell balancing phase ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
90k Is very respectable, nearly the battery warranty max. Will you sell this jaguar?
It's on a contract hire so will go back to the lease company.
How's the rest of the car wearing at 90k leather ect?
All seems to be standing up remarkably well. No saggy seat, no signs of wear on the leather, nothing falling off etc.
Apart from the fact that I never clean it, you wouldn't look inside and be able to guess the mileage.

Reactions: TheRonin

·
Registered
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 18in wheels, Fitted Mirror dashcam
500 Posts
Thank you for posting this, it's very interesting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had mine since July 2019 ... I charge to 100% at home about 95% of the time ... the other time I cut it short for several reasons ... I have not seen any battery fall-off except in temperature extremes ... I live in Houston TX so we have high heat and high humidity about 6 months out of the year ... the other 6 months are relatively good ...

I do remember reading something a while back that said even when you show 100% ... the battery system is only charged to 84% to 89% ... something with the software and keeping cells in reserve if you do develop a few bad cells the system will compensate ... I'm not 100% sure but I remember reading it in a tech document somewhere ... please let me know if this is correct ...

Tony C.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I am only at 16000 miles over 3 1/2 years but it is looking good.
Product Font Communication Device Material property Magenta

I do not normally charge up to 100% regularly but there is a lot of sun about recently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts