Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

AC charging at home with an extension cable

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  CRC@Jaguar 
#1 ·
Hi. I've intermittently used the 'granny' charger at home plugged into regular mains supply via a short (non-coiled) extension cable. It always runs a little warm with the 'temperature' light on the charging cable flashing but never cutting out. Last week the charging cable plug overheated to the point where I couldn't get it out of the extension socket. I broke it trying. Took it to Jaguar who now want me to pay £400+ for a new charging lead. Apparently I'm not supposed to use an extension cable. The engineer says he learned this on the iPace course. Clearly, I've not been on the course so I've asked them to show me the page in the user manual where it states not to use an extension cable -it may or not be in the manual? Do you use extension cables? Any advice re my discussion with JLR before I potentially cough up £400? Thanks.

#5 ·
#6 ·
From experience, whenever a reply starts with 'no offence but' there usually follows an offensive comment! If you have the tine to read, absorb and remember every page of the user manual .....perhaps tine to find an interest other than reading I-PACE manuals?! Given the issue I have I just wanted Jaguar to provide the proof that I should not plug into an extension cable given they want to charge me £400. I reached out to the I-PACE forum to see if anyone else had experienced this issue. Wasn't looking for sympathy. Thanks to those of you who offered constructive support and advice. Looks like I'll be coughing up £400!

#8 ·
MikeF said:
From experience, whenever a reply starts with 'no offence but' there usually follows an offensive comment! If you have the tine to read, absorb and remember every page of the user manual .....perhaps tine to find an interest other than reading I-PACE manuals?! Given the issue I have I just wanted Jaguar to provide the proof that I should not plug into an extension cable given they want to charge me £400. I reached out to the I-PACE forum to see if anyone else had experienced this issue. Wasn't looking for sympathy. Thanks to those of you who offered constructive support and advice. Looks like I'll be coughing up £400!
If you find my comment offensive then so be it. Did you even try looking? You could have saved yourself a lot of money and time if you'd spent 30 seconds like I did replying to your post. Your obviously not a previous EV owner so all the more reason to check the manual. You don't have to digest the whole thing but Jaguar kindly gave you all the answers you needed contained in the manual. I really don't see why you wanted Jaguar to prove anything when you haven't.

#9 ·
I used sometimes a 15m extension lead and had no problem at all. As long the cable can handle 2kw it's ok. Just use a good quality one with 2.5mm2 wires.
Why would it make a difference with the wires used to connect your wallbox ?

#11 ·
#12 ·
I use an extension lead when I use the granny cable. As long as it's correctly rated for 13 amp and the cable and socket are in good condition. I don't see any issue. The issue in using any extension lead is to protect jag as not many extension leads are rates 13 amp.

#13 ·
Good Afternoon MikeF,

Thank you for your post.

I am concerned to learn of your comments

I can confirm that it does in fact state in the user manual for I-PACE that an extension lead or multiple socket should never be used in order to extend the reach of a charging cable. This is advised for safety reasons, and the dangers of which have been made clear by your experience.

Should you have any further questions or require any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.