Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether to order an I-Pace. One of the options I'm struggling with is AAS together with Adaptive Dynamics and AdSR (do I need all three?). I know it will make to ride smoother but what will the passive suspension be like? So far, all test ride were with ASS it seems, so any verdicts on the passive suspension on the necessity of AAS?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't tell for the I-Pace, but I faced the exact same dilemma when configuring my Model S over 6 years ago, more than a year before it arriving in the showrooms. I ended up choosing for the passive suspension. I have driven versions with active suspension many times since, and in my experience, in daily traffic I'ld be hard pressed to tell the difference. If anything, it's a bit more precise.

Did I ever wish I'ld chosen active suspension? There were times. The Model S is a pretty low riding car - I keep being surprised every time I hear Ian Callum say that the batteries in the floor force the cabin and riding position upward, because getting in and out the Model S I sometimes wish it had a bit higher seating position. I guess the way they achieved that is by having relatively little ground clearance. In combination with the long wheelbase, this causes a mild "bottom scrape" every now and then on (speed)bumps.

But there was one time I really cursed myself for not having active suspension. I was in a narrow street where the houses had their garage under the house, with a pretty steep ramp going down from the street to the garage door. I needed to turn around, so I backed halfway onto one of those ramps, and just when I thought I was in enough to easily pull out and leave in the opposite direction, I heard an awful scraping noise. After that, the car was stuck on the ground, exactly in the middle of the car. The front wheels were tightly on the ground, but the back wheels just touched lightly, and on my (early) Model S, only those rear wheels are powered. No matter what I tried (and with the help of some of the street's residents we came up with quite a few ideas), I couldn't get away. In the end I had to be towed out - with a scraping sound that I'll never forget.

The I-Pace has a long wheelbase too. But I think it has a higher stance, and it is four wheel drive, so it probably won't get caught in a situation like that even with passive suspension. But for me, the experience was thus that I will from now on choose active suspension every time I have the the option.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks Pebell for your feedback - I am well familiar with the scraping sound on my current Skoda Octavia on sport springs which lowered the car 3cm and drastically improved corner handling for as far as corner handling goes in a Skoda.
My wife has been complaining about the negative effect where indeed steep ramps, speed bumps or driveway exits the scraping occurs although that is almost always the plastic flaps and not the actual bottom of the car.

See below pictures - the car is relative low to the ground with the lowest point just 75-80mm from the ground and as you can see in the plastic flap there has been some scrapping and even cutting but during the last APK of the car I and a mechanic checked the whole floor and all OK.
The Russian video posted yesterday showed the I-pace having something like minimal 15cm clearance so double of what I have today - speed bumps here I come :).

So although I would like active suspension (like multiple other options) my limited budget forced me to make choices and I preferred HUD, Electric Tailgate, heated windscreen & wipers & air ionization together over the active air suspension.

Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not so much worried about the ground clearance (although I also have a garage under my house) but more about the ride comfort. I used to have an Audi with S-type suspension and 18" rims and that was a pain when driving in Belgium (bad tarmac). I promised myself to stay away from sport suspension and big rims as long as I drive >50k per year and partially in Belgium.

But now the I-Pace comes with at least 18", thus I'm debating what to do. So far my must have list is:
- Adaptive Cruise Controle and Steering Assist thus Driver Assist Pack (and thus 10way adjustable seats and thus ebony leather)
- heated seats
- Adjustable lumbar support thus 18ways seats, thus Windsor leather
- DAB+

The drivers pack, 18ways seat+windsor on an S model plus DAB+ gets me at 90k. An HSE only needs DAB+ to get to the same level and gives my plenty of other goodies at 3k extra "only". So I'm leaning towards an HSE.

The AAS fits in my budget and so does the Adaptive Dynamics option and AdSR. But will Adaptive Dynamics bring additional comfort, or will the AAS suffice?

·
Registered
185 Posts
mca2 said:
I'm debating whether to order an I-Pace. One of the options I'm struggling with is AAS together with Adaptive Dynamics and AdSR (do I need all three?). I know it will make to ride smoother but what will the passive suspension be like? So far, all test ride were with ASS it seems, so any verdicts on the passive suspension on the necessity of AAS?
I think to answer the first question "do I need all three" ...... this is what I was told....... because the AAS has 3 (i think) modes comfort dynamic and normal that should cover most peoples needs, AD is really if you want to race your car round a track and configure individual elements of suspension steering etc and AdSR is if you need extra confidence in snow or mud.
So having arrived at the event thinking I needed all three ..... I've ended up just getting AAS.

Regarding AAS ..... whilst most people will tell you its hard to tell the difference I think thats because most people probably only have a short time to back to back. Having had a few cars with Air Suspension I would always choose it if its an option - for me the comfort mode is always cushier and more comfortable and the dymanic mode more controlled.
For me the AAS was a no brainer - and I'm glad I took advice on the other 2 options

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I have specified an SE with AAS and AD but not AdSR.
I was told that the Adaptive Dynamics package adds the electronic variable dampers which are
then adjusted dynamically and according to driving mode. I presume that without AD you just have
fixed damper settings (which aren't even effected by driving mode?).
I would be very interested to know whether or not this is true?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm probably going for steel suspension as I want a spare wheel and I understand that it can be fitted under a (raised) boot floor with steel suspension but would have to be in the boot with air suspension

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi MCA2

I would like to advice also include "winterpackage" to your wishlist.
ICE's are great at producing heat, with a little bit of torque. The EVs predominantly produce torque and no heat, so this leaves you with condensation on your windscreen.

Bart

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Bart said:
I would like to advice also include "winterpackage" to your wishlist.
ICE's are great at producing heat, with a little bit of torque. The EVs predominantly produce torque and no heat, so this leaves you with condensation on your windscreen.
Bart
I didn't choose for the cold package as I do not need heating steering wheel - I did choose the heated windscreen&wipers option (€356) which is slightly cheaper then cold package (€520).

Also discovered that in NL we are kind of getting screwed as the I-pace is more expensive then in Germany or Belgium, in NL base S version is €80,330 yet in Germany €77,850 and Belgium €78,990.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jelle, did you take into account that the VAT in Germany is 19% and Netherlands 21%? So the government is screwing you also..... The nett-price is in the Netherlands normally the lowest of Europe. Did you see the prices in the USA? Base S version $ 69.500,- But I thinks that's without federal taxes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AAS has the A from active and according to the folder it lowers the suspension at certain speeds. I agree that AD will most likely will do something additionally, but I hope AAS already has some profiles (sport, comfort). Btw AdSR is fairly cheap, so if I would include AD then most likely also AdSR.

And I will include something with a heated screen, either the package or screen only.

·
Registered
36 Posts
AdSR is nice to have in the snow. Do we need AWD in the Netherlands? I don't think so, but in wintertime it's so nice to have. And I think AdSR is such a gimmick. Very handy a couple of times a year. I would take it anytime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts