Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I expecting too much from the adaptive cruise system? In general it works reasonably well (although I do find it a bit clunky when it slows down behind a car turning off and then takes quite a while to speed up when the road ahead is clear.)

However my main concern is that if I am driving and then turn adaptive cruise on with no vehicle in front of me and, say 10 seconds later, I come up to a stationary vehicle ahead at traffic lights the car does not slow down at all. I have left it as long as I dare before braking but it is hairy! Am I expecting too much - can the software not recognise a stationary vehicle in this situation?

If the AC is on and has already caught up to a moving vehicle and then the vehicle slows to a stop the AC does work as planned. It is only if the very first vehicle it comes across is a stationary one?

Has anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Be very care if you are using one pedal driving, normally using the brake pedal to slow down cancels the cruise.
Picture a crossroads following a truck, truck turns left revealing a cyclist waiting to turn right, you havn’t seen him, the car won’t see him, but AC will accelerate. That was a near miss for me, one reason I don’t use high regen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Warning in owner's manual (taken from iGuide):

Adaptive cruise control does not react to pedestrians or objects in the roadway. Additionally, the system may not react to stationary or slow moving vehicles traveling below 6 mph (10 km/h), or oncoming vehicles in the same lane.

My advise to all drivers: Please read everything in the owner's manual and make no assumptions that the vehicle will operate 100% as you expect it to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adaptive cruise control does not react to pedestrians or objects in the roadway. Additionally, the system may not react to stationary or slow moving vehicles traveling below 6 mph (10 km/h), or oncoming vehicles in the same lane.
Aha thanks Ayepace, I hadn’t spotted that. I should RTFM a bit more 😀

·
Registered
14 Posts
ACC on other brands i had previous to my Ipace, audi/bmw, is similarly unable to cope with stationary cars, pedestrians and cyclists in the road. also lots of false positive collision warnings on my last car, bmw.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is a digital link to the I-Pace manual for those interested.

My own experience with adaptive cruise (on another car) is that it is more hassle than it is worth and only works in a very narrow range of driving conditions. I used it once and it got confused when the car in front left the motorway. I see absolutely zero point in a feature that requires you to always stay alert and be ready to take over when (not if) the system fails. I call that driving.

Flowing motorway traffic is fine as long as you are staying in the same lane, if you are using it on roads with junctions etc then you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll only use it on limited access, highways/interstates/turnpikes with relatively light traffic. I find it useful for (a) giving my right leg a rest or (b) I need to talk on the phone (even hands-free cell phone use is distracting).

If you know its limitations, the system works well enough.

Reactions: norfrode

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently used it in literally "stop and go" traffic going around Washington DC and found it to work very well bringing the car to a complete stop behind the car in front and pulling away as that car did. My only complaint being that the initial acceleration was a little harder than I personally would have performed manually and resulted in a slight jerk forward.

My guess is that the warning relates to the system not being designed, tested and certified for detecting stationary objects at a distance - it is not the emergency braking system.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Only time I ever use ACC is sometimes when approaching a traffic queue, and, yes, it will not pick up stationary traffic, so you need to remain in control at all times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll only use it on limited access, highways/interstates/turnpikes with relatively light traffic. I find it useful for (a) giving my right leg a rest or (b) I need to talk on the phone (even hands-free cell phone use is distracting).

If you know its limitations, the system works well enough.
Same here, observing the limited usage area and going with that. It also does not work with roundabouts.

I have a stretch of road to/from work where there is usually a bit of traffic which means the speed is uneven if you follow the car in front. ACC positions the car well in the moving traffic so I don't need to keep adjusting the speed manually. It also maintains the speed limit so if traffic in front speeds up too much I automatically get a bigger gap to the next car which tends to shrink back again at the end of this particular stretch, so with ACC I drive more evenly. I have noticed traffic behind me seems more relaxed when I do this as they will also end up driving more evenly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts