Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Picked my Ipace up yesterday , love the car!!

I have been searching to find out how to adjust the charge I,e set to 80% lets say.

It would appear that you can not? Seems odd as we all know that charging to 100% all the times isn't advisable. The only way
I can 'set' is to use the timer to limit the time charging

Thanks

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Have to say the sections below support everything I thought about charging and would suggest that an ability to place a cap on charging would prolong the ipace batteries.

Not sure what you're saying about the article that suggests we don't benefit from limiting the upper charge level?

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Paul J. said:
There are a lot of myths being promulgated on this site surrounding charging of the batteries. The battery management units are configured to achieve the optimum performance characteristics, removing the need for the user to 'self-medicate'. This site is worth a read: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries.
Well, agree and disagree! Agree that there are many misapprehensions being broadcast - not sure I'd call them myths, but they may well be accurate information for the original context, but being used out of context. That link seems to relate to content written 8 years ago and, very likely, not in the context of modern EV batteries.

We do know that there are many variants of 'lithium' battery chemistry and even amongst newer EV designs there are variations in chemistry. On top of that, different manufacturers and models each have their own charge/control circuits with different characteristics and protections. So it may be very difficult to generalise about the best charging strategy.

Also, it seems likely for instance that the available capacity of the I-Pace battery is only 90-95% of its nominal 90kWh capacity. IIRC Bjorn reckoned that the capacity was 81.5kWh. Assuming that the 'spare' is split between top and bottom ends then it may be that it's impossible anyway to charge the I-Pace battery beyond 95% of its nominal capacity (though it's not clear what happens if you leave the charger connected for an extended time after capacity shows 100%).

There's a lot of data out there on how users have arrived at what they consider to be the best charging strategy for various Tesla models and it's clear that routinely charging to 100% is not recommended (quite apart from the practical issue of the disproportionate extra charging time that it takes to get from 90-100%). It would be surprising if there weren't strong similarities between Tesla and I-Pace batteries, though the fine detail may well be different.

What's missing at present IMHO is a clear technical note from Jaguar as to what they recommend as the optimum routine charging strategy to optimise battery life and performance. Owners really ought to be pressing JLR for more detailed information on this aspect, even if it does get tweaked down the road as more information and experience accrues.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Agree with that. A definitive statement would help a lot. But while the I-Pace is young and a relatively unknown quantity I for one would rather err on the side of caution. One thing I'm certain of is that charging to 80% will Not make matters any worse, but charging to 100 repeatedly may or may not cause more rapid degradation. I'd rather not find out the hard way until there is strong empirical evidence to support it. I plan on keeping my I-Pace for a long time if I can, so I have a real vested interest in maintaining battery performance for as long as I can.

As I say, I'm happy to be proven wrong in time, but I'd rather be given an option whereby I don't have to take the chance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What's missing at present IMHO is a clear technical note from Jaguar as to what they recommend as the optimum routine charging strategy to optimise battery life and performance. Owners really ought to be pressing JLR for more detailed information on this aspect, even if it does get tweaked down the road as more information and experience accrues.This is a short video on the USA YouTube channel that 'sort of' seems to be the JLR official comment on 80% or 100% charging:

Not the greatest. I agree JLR needs to put out a recomendation

·
Registered
16 Posts
I posted elsewhere that I was told by the head of Jaguar's ipace project when I collected my car (yes, he was there) that there is no problem with regularly charging to 100%. Their battery supplier, LG, has warrantied the batteries for this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Robert said:
I posted elsewhere that I was told by the head of Jaguar's ipace project when I collected my car (yes, he was there) that there is no problem with regularly charging to 100%. Their battery supplier, LG, has warrantied the batteries for this.
Problem? No. Advisable? Who knows in case of the I-Pace? The fact that LG guarantees the batteries says very little: they probably consider 5% degradation annually (or whatever) "normal" and as such not a case for the warranty. Even Teslas can regularly charge to 100% without issues, it's just that to reduce degradation, they advise you to typically avoid charging above 90% if you don't need the range. And from experience, where we rarely charge the Tesla above 85%: we have had a total degradation of c. 2-3% over nearly 5 years of ownership. Whether this has been disproportionally helped by not overcharging, or the batteries perform better than expected (we were told to expect c. 3% p.a.): I don't know. But why not provide the option in the I-Pace?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts