Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Air Quality System - do you think it works?

13K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Solarius 
#1 ·
All i-Paces have Air Quality System as standard.
It is meant to keep the air that enters the cabin fresh and free from bad pollutions and bad smells. It detects high concentrations (ppm) of certain gases etc. and automatically acttivates Recirculation (i.e. it closes the air inlets). I had this in the past on several cars, e.g. Volvo XC70, and it worked perfectly. Never a bad smell in the car. But in my i-Pace I am not sure if AQS is really working. Often in busy traffic with old diesel cars in front of me, the diesel smells clearly enter the cabin. Also other bad smells from outside are not kept out. I also never have seen the recirculation being activated as a display indication. So hence my question: is AQS working properly? Or is this another i-Pace software problem? Do you recognise this issue in your i-Pace?

#6 ·
There might be an ionizer but nothing else. You either need a HEPA filter like Tesla has as an option or a carbon filter.

This really works as I had this in my last Mercedes. The I-Pace has no special filter. You maybe able to change the normal filter for the AC with a special carbon filter.

At least you could fart inside the car and blame it on the outside :D

CU

Jens

#10 ·
I also have the Ionizer. AQS and the Ionizer both didn't help at all to reduce smells in the interior until.... today!

Yesterday my i-Pace got an update of the software for the Body Control Module (BCM). This contains a fix for the climate system. Two things I have noticed so far:

- Air Quality System seems to really work now!! Drove more than 240km today, didn't smell any bad stuff today. Behind an old dirty diesel I did notice just a bit of it, but apparently the system reacted quickly enough and then it was ok.

- The climate system used to make quite some noise in the lower part of the dashboard. Now it seems to be much quieter. Not sure yet if there is really a change, but it seems so.

The BCM update also fixed another issue: the flashing reverse lights (see other topic on this forum).

#14 ·
The BCM software version is not knowm to the driver. Only the dealership workshop can read out the version and update it with their PathFinder tool.

#16 ·
Pseudonym said:
BCM stands for battery control module. Would think that only controls the battery and associated charging with it. They must have changed other software as well
No: BCM stands for Body Control Module.

The body control module regulates things like the climate system (incl. AQS), lights (incl. reverse lights, direction indicators, etc.) and I believe also things like the wipers etc.

The Battery Control Module is abbreviated as 'BECM' by Jaguar, which is in fact the BMS. The BMS indeed has not much to do with AQS.

#17 ·
Brushing the dust of this old thread.

I've also noticed that the Air Quality System doesn't seem to work as it should as mentioned in the other posts. Even when i manually activate the re-circulation button, I can smell the exhaust from outside when for example in a tunnel. I forgot to mention this problem to the dealer, and my 1 year old I-Pace is going in for the 228-update and some other things at the end of this month.

Does anyone have more information if this issue is fixed with a software update, a mechanical fix or is it still a problem?

#20 ·
Goshdarnit said:
Just to make sure, have you gone into the climate control settings menu and set filtration level to high?
I am a bit puzzled by this setting and the 3 modes (low, medium,high). Why would someone select low or medium? "oh I still want to breath a little bit of exhaust fumes"?

Do you know if there are any drawbacks in setting it to high?

#21 ·
I-Pace said:
Goshdarnit said:
Just to make sure, have you gone into the climate control settings menu and set filtration level to high?
I am a bit puzzled by this setting and the 3 modes (low, medium,high). Why would someone select low or medium? "oh I still want to breath a little bit of exhaust fumes"?

I've often had the same thought. In fact I think I said pretty much that in my car overview video way back when I started my channel. The only thing I can think of is that the HEPA filter may need replacing more often, but that's only a guess. Mine has been on high from day one.

#22 ·
I-Pace said:

It works by switching to recycled air when it detects bad incoming air, so if it's too eager you won't get as much fresh air. You're adjusting the balance between exhaust fumes and your own fumes...

#23 ·
+++
Goshdarnit said:
Thanks for asking, it's never wrong to check for the obvious user errors. Yes, it's been in the high setting since day one.
One thing is that the automatic feature doesn't work, but I'm more worried that manual selecting re-circulation have little effect. So maybe the automatic feature is active, but there's something wrong with the re-circulation mechanism. Hopefully software related.

I will alert the dealer of this issue and report back after I get it back in the end of November. Hopefully it will be solved. As a side note, I have already reported two other air condition related issues they will be looking into:
- high pitched hissing sound from the drivers footwell when AC is on (from 35 seconds in video)
- when smart climate is activated, the climate control blinks when driving with a passenger (video)

#24 ·
eyvind said:
I-Pace said:

It works by switching to recycled air when it detects bad incoming air, so if it's too eager you won't get as much fresh air. You're adjusting the balance between exhaust fumes and your own fumes...
Thank you! Makes sense. I will have to switch it to low from now on :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.