Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
A little update on my experience...

As mentioned up thread, using Apple maps instead of google makes a massive difference to the gps. It's clearly passing the cars signal through. I'm much happier now, Apple maps is great so I'd be content to use this most days.

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version, nice easy process, took just a few minutes. Unfortunately, it's done nothing to help connectivity problems. When it works it's great and just takes a few seconds, but about half the time the Bluetooth connection to the car2play just won't hook up. Even resetting the unit doesn't seem to help, the only way to fix it is to forget the Jaguar B866 connection in my phones Bluetooth list and start again.

Very disappointed so far :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
&roid said:
A little update on my experience...

As mentioned up thread, using Apple maps instead of google makes a massive difference to the gps. It's clearly passing the cars signal through. I'm much happier now, Apple maps is great so I'd be content to use this most days.

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version, nice easy process, took just a few minutes. Unfortunately, it's done nothing to help connectivity problems. When it works it's great and just takes a few seconds, but about half the time the Bluetooth connection to the car2play just won't hook up. Even resetting the unit doesn't seem to help, the only way to fix it is to forget the Jaguar B866 connection in my phones Bluetooth list and start again.

Very disappointed so far :(
Same for me. I've been using the Car2Play unit over the last few days (prior to that I shoved it in a drawer in disgust) and I've found that when starting the car the car2play seems to connect to the infotainment system but that it doesn't see the Bluetooth link to the iPhone (IoS 14.3).

What I've been doing is unlocking my phone and opening the Bluetooth setting and manually connecting to the JagBxx. Once the connection is made it works fine. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Bluetooth, but I have other devices that seem to automatically connect to my phone without any issues whatsoever.

One thing that is quite interesting is once the Bluetooth connection is made and the Car2Play unit is working, the Bluetooth reading on my phone for JagBxx shows "not connected".

I still haven't been able to upgrade the firmware, as plugging the iPhone into the Car2Play unit (with the unit plugged into the car or inside the house into a usb power adapter) still doesn't do anything at all.

If anyone knows how to do a factory reset on these Car2Play units, or how to install the latest firmware, I'd be grateful if they would let me know.

Kind regards,
Nigel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting that it doesn't show as connected when it's working, I'll check mine today. I think I've only ever looked when it's not working and assumed that the Bluetooth was the problem as it wasn't showing as connected.

I managed to update the firmware whilst connected wirelessly. The next time you get a good connection in the car just go to the IP address in your phones browser. It brings up a really basic website that says there's an update available. A few minutes later and it was updated. Shame it didn't fix the problems!

·
Registered
134 Posts
&roid said:
Interesting that it doesn't show as connected when it's working, I'll check mine today. I think I've only ever looked when it's not working and assumed that the Bluetooth was the problem as it wasn't showing as connected.

I managed to update the firmware whilst connected wirelessly. The next time you get a good connection in the car just go to the IP address in your phones browser. It brings up a really basic website that says there's an update available. A few minutes later and it was updated. Shame it didn't fix the problems!
Thanks, will try logging into the IP address next time I'm out and about.

Just so that we are comparing like with like, when I'm in the car, my iPhone has Bluetooth on (obviously) and also a connection to Three, the phone and data service provider.

The iPace settings in the car are set to Data On, but Hotspot Off.

As mentioned before, I've had no luck whatsoever in updating when connecting the unit to my phone with a USB cable, but will give it a go wirelessly.

I sent an email to carplay2air, asking for the procedure to return the unit but never got a reply. A couple of days later I got a message from them asking me if I would like to post a review of the unit. I promptly submitted an honest review - it seemed rude not to!

Kind regards,
Nigel

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Nigel

I've just come in from the car and before I got out opened Safari on the iPhone and entered 192.168.50.2 in the Url bar. The result was a very basic web page with the option to update.
Even though I have found the dongle to 100% reliable in connecting, I bit the bullet and I went with it and lo and behold the device started the update procedure!
I looked at the LEDs on the dongle and the red and blue started to flash alternately which they did when I used the update on a USB stick loaded from golar3 download.
The message accompanying this was it would take some time! After a few minutes it announced 'update' complete'.
I then saw the Bluetooth bit of JJAGxxx etc. with ian's iPhone and Car Play was restored on the car's screen.
It was reliable before so I'll wait and see if it is as reliable now!

I wonder how many phones you have connected to the car, i.e. are there some legacy phones that could be deleted?
Bluetooth is very picky about the number of connections. So delete the ones on the car that are not used any more, similarly delete any unused ones on the iPhone. Start with a clean sheet.

My annoyance is that Waze takes the radio (DAB and FM) off and invokes the phones audio even though I don't want voice prompts and it is set off on the phone! The other apps don't do that!! Bloody Google who own Waze needs a kick! I bet Android Auto doesn't do that!

Stay safe

Ian

·
Registered
134 Posts
ianipace said:
Hi Nigel

I've just come in from the car and before I got out opened Safari on the iPhone and entered 192.168.50.2 in the Url bar. The result was a very basic web page with the option to update.
Even though I have found the dongle to 100% reliable in connecting, I bit the bullet and I went with it and lo and behold the device started the update procedure!
I looked at the LEDs on the dongle and the red and blue started to flash alternately which they did when I used the update on a USB stick loaded from golar3 download.
The message accompanying this was it would take some time! After a few minutes it announced 'update' complete'.
I then saw the Bluetooth bit of JJAGxxx etc. with ian's iPhone and Car Play was restored on the car's screen.
It was reliable before so I'll wait and see if it is as reliable now!

I wonder how many phones you have connected to the car, i.e. are there some legacy phones that could be deleted?
Bluetooth is very picky about the number of connections. So delete the ones on the car that are not used any more, similarly delete any unused ones on the iPhone. Start with a clean sheet.

My annoyance is that Waze takes the radio (DAB and FM) off and invokes the phones audio even though I don't want voice prompts and it is set off on the phone! The other apps don't do that!! Bloody Google who own Waze needs a kick! I bet Android Auto doesn't do that!

Stay safe

Ian
Hi Ian,

Just tried this. Went for a short walk with our dog this morning and drove a couple of miles or so to a local wood. On starting the car I had to fiddle around with the Bluetooth on the iPhone in order to get the CPlay2Air to connect wirelessly. Once connected it worked fine during our short drive. After our walk (approx 1 hour) we got back into the car and lo and behold the CPlay2Air started to play where we had left off.

When I got home I tried what you suggested and before getting out of the car (and whilst the CPlay2Air was still playing) I keyed the IP address for the CPlay 2Air and got a revolving circle, then a message saying that the firmware was up to date.

The latest Firmware I have is 2020.11.10.2137

I'm going to try just letting the CPlay2Air unit do it's thing and see if it will start connecting to my phone and see how it goes.

My wife didn't have her phone with her this morning, and I've deleted the Bluetooth connection between my phone and the Jag's infotainment system, so the only Bluetooth connection concerning the car is the one for the CPlay2Air.

I'm hoping that this unit will now become a bit more stable.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,
Nigel

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Nigel

Interesting.
I have to say mine has been 99% reliable. Yes sometimes it takes a bit of time to show the connecting screen, but it usually connects quite speedily. The times it has taken a bit more time are when I get in the car and immediately reverse out of a parking slot, then it does seem to take longer. Is the infotainment confused because I have instigated the rear camera? Maybe, using the camera twice in manoeuvring, and thus syncing up with the dongle is put on the back burner, I don't know.
We know the processor is at the limit on the MY20 cars, better in the MY21 with PiviPro.

In all honesty I can say I am very happy with the device, given these occasional glitches.
The Apple CarPlay screens are nice and colourful!
The one thing that does pi** me off is the way Waze grabs the audio and takes away the DAB radio that was playing! That is a Waze thing, even though it is set for no audio!
I first tried it to check the accuracy of the I-Pace speedo. At 50mph on the I-Pace speedo in an average speed section of the M27 the GPS speed was 47 mph, so at 54 mph I was really doing a legal 50mph!
The discrepancy is worse at 70mph, True 70mph is 75-76 on the speedo.
I have never understood why manufacturers have failed to link the Sat Nav GPS to the speedo, correcting it a bit like the MSF signal does on your radio frequency clock.

Stay safe

Ian

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
NigelC said:
Hi Ian,

Just tried this. Went for a short walk with our dog this morning and drove a couple of miles or so to a local wood. On starting the car I had to fiddle around with the Bluetooth on the iPhone in order to get the CPlay2Air to connect wirelessly. Once connected it worked fine during our short drive. After our walk (approx 1 hour) we got back into the car and lo and behold the CPlay2Air started to play where we had left off.

When I got home I tried what you suggested and before getting out of the car (and whilst the CPlay2Air was still playing) I keyed the IP address for the CPlay 2Air and got a revolving circle, then a message saying that the firmware was up to date.

The latest Firmware I have is 2020.11.10.2137

I'm going to try just letting the CPlay2Air unit do it's thing and see if it will start connecting to my phone and see how it goes.

My wife didn't have her phone with her this morning, and I've deleted the Bluetooth connection between my phone and the Jag's infotainment system, so the only Bluetooth connection concerning the car is the one for the CPlay2Air.

I'm hoping that this unit will now become a bit more stable.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,
Nigel
This may be unconnected but is it possible that you are connecting to the car's Bluetooth as well as the CPlay2Air? I wonder if it's some conflict between the phone decision which one it should pair with. Maybe disable the car Bluetooth profile on your phone and see if that helps? Unless it's not set up to pair with the car, in which case disregard!

·
Registered
377 Posts
My adapter has no problem linking to the car via the iPhone.
In an effort to try and sort this out I've just frozen my nuts off in the garage seeing exactly what happens when the phone is in the car and the ignition is switched on.

Gadget Communication Device Font Mobile device Display device

This the iPhone Bluetooth screen just before IGN turned on.

Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device Mobile device

The following sequence shows the car's Bluetooth connected.
Mobile phone Telephony Mobile device Portable communications device Communication Device
Then all connected.
And the the Jaguar screen hasn't yet booted up!
Gadget Font Output device Communication Device Tablet computer

The screen I really wanted to show comes after this - the dongle logging on so to speak was too quick to take a photo!

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Telephone

So what is giving the Apple carplay screen on the car?
Television Communication Device Gadget Output device Mobile device

Mobile phone Product Mobile device Portable communications device Communication Device

I then saw the Wifi setting on the phone has this.

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device

And if I turn the Wifi off I get this.

Trying to see what's going on with Bluetooth on the car I saw this.
Communication Device Gadget Font Output device Office equipment

So it would appear the Bluetooth connects the phone and car as normal, then the Bluetooth part of the dongle does its thing which would appear to initiate the Wifi part.

After handshaking the Bluetooth is turned off and the connection is via the wifi to the phone.
If any of trhis is helpful let me know as on my car and my iPhone it WORKS!

By the way mine is an iPhone 11 on iOS 14.3 and the car is on S20C and 19.2

Stay safe

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Three more photos to maybe help those who are not having total success with their CPlay2Air dongle.

I managed to get one shot of the screen as it went through its boot up sequence. There is a screen just before this, and when I manage to capture it I'll post it!!
Output device Gadget Automotive design Personal luxury car Display device

Next shot shows that the dongle Wifi is seen by the car.

Gadget Font Audio receiver Multimedia Display device

Lastly, have you made sure in the Car Play options on the car Connectivity - Apple users.
Make sure this is set up correctly.
Output device Gadget Communication Device Font Material property

I hope this all helps, as when it works it is rather good, Apple Car Play with all its advantages, Google Maps and/or Waze to help you on your way.

Stay safe

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Ian,

The information you provided is incredibly helpful.

The Carplay adapter in our car seems to get to the screen where it shows on your photos "Connecting to Ian's iPhone" then it moves onto a similar screen saying autoconnecting. The carplay then eventually comes on, but it can take anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes before the Apple Car Play in the car springs into life.

Out of interest, how do you get to the screen in the car for the apple device settings?

I'm using a iPhone XS with ios 14.3. Agree, that when it works it's really quite good!

Happy New Year, and thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough message.

All the best,
Nigel

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Nigel, a happy new year to you and your family as well.

Getting to the Apple Car Play screen is - Touch the cogs in the home page.
Next touch General.
This then 'should' give you 'Connectivity' if my old brain has remembered correctly!
That will bring you to the photo that shows Bluetooth as the first option, which in my piccie is the one that has 'Bluetooth setting not available. etc.

Scroll down this Connectivity screen until you get to Apple Users. and touch on that
and that 'should' show the screen I've photographed!

It maybe that in your iPhone you have the Wi-Fi settings slightly different to me.
In Settings' and Wi-Fi 'Ask to Join Networks' is 'Ask'
And in case it has something to do with it 'Auto-Join Hotspot' is set to Ask to Join

The sequence it all goes through is something like this:
Ignition on, detect phone via Bluetooth, Connect
Next the dongle has its turn with Bluetooth and that connects.
Now the really clever bit happens!
Via Bluetooth the dongle is told to send WiFi to the phone and through handshaking the Bluetooth for the phone and the dongle are told to release and use WiFi instead. Wifi can transfer far more data than Bluetooth can and gives access to the car's GPS signal for Google Maps etc.
So after the handshake the car and the phone are connected via Wifi, and all your phone calls, contacts etc. are now done via Wifi.
The car knows that for Car Play this will take place over Wifi between the iPhone and car and not the USB cable!

Clever isn't it?

The answer to that is YES when it works!

I had a word with mine and told it if it didn't play ball it was going in the bin, seems to have worked!!

Stay safe

Ian

·
Registered
134 Posts
ianipace said:
Hi Nigel, a happy new year to you and your family as well.

Getting to the Apple Car Play screen is - Touch the cogs in the home page.
Next touch General.
This then 'should' give you 'Connectivity' if my old brain has remembered correctly!
That will bring you to the photo that shows Bluetooth as the first option, which in my piccie is the one that has 'Bluetooth setting not available. etc.

Scroll down this Connectivity screen until you get to Apple Users. and touch on that
and that 'should' show the screen I've photographed!

It maybe that in your iPhone you have the Wi-Fi settings slightly different to me.
In Settings' and Wi-Fi 'Ask to Join Networks' is 'Ask'
And in case it has something to do with it 'Auto-Join Hotspot' is set to Ask to Join

The sequence it all goes through is something like this:
Ignition on, detect phone via Bluetooth, Connect
Next the dongle has its turn with Bluetooth and that connects.
Now the really clever bit happens!
Via Bluetooth the dongle is told to send WiFi to the phone and through handshaking the Bluetooth for the phone and the dongle are told to release and use WiFi instead. Wifi can transfer far more data than Bluetooth can and gives access to the car's GPS signal for Google Maps etc.
So after the handshake the car and the phone are connected via Wifi, and all your phone calls, contacts etc. are now done via Wifi.
The car knows that for Car Play this will take place over Wifi between the iPhone and car and not the USB cable!

Clever isn't it?

The answer to that is YES when it works!

I had a word with mine and told it if it didn't play ball it was going in the bin, seems to have worked!!

Stay safe

Ian
Hi Ian,

Tried your settings yesterday, and changed my phone so that it replicated your settings.

Connection still a bit hit and miss!

I'll send you a Private Message, with more screen photos.

Kind regards,
Nigel

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In case anyone is interested, ADD has done a video about CPlay2Air

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a dongle software update (ver. 2021.03.06.1343, size: 8.58MB).

How to install: after CarPlay initializes, make sure your phone is connected to the carplay2air's wifi network (should be something like JAGUAR R-6 etc.) and on your phone's browser go to 192.168.50.2 where the update should be available.

The manufacturer detailed in a message the various available settings:

-Synchronous mode (normal, compatible):
Default: Normal mode
Normal mode: Resolve instrument panel display problems.
Compatible mode: Resolves the issue of certain vehicles not connecting to the dongle.

-Media Sound (CD, DVD):
Default: DVD
DVD: better sound quality.
CD: solves the problem of certain cars having static/playback issues.

-Media Delay (300 to 2000 milliseconds):
Default: 1000
The greater the delay, the audio is less likely to stutter. The lower the delay, the music, and album art/images will be more synchronized.

-Background mode: Some cars will go black screen after connected, so try to switch on background mode will solve it.

-GPS: Turn on this function, the adapter will then help the iPhone to obtain more accurate positioning.

About startup delay, If you set it for 5 seconds, the adapter will start the system after 5 seconds of plugging into the USB port of the car (in case some car systems do not recognize the adapter, or the adapter works only when it's replugged).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Saw this post so thought I'd come back to this device and try again.

Sad to say it still doesn't work reliably :(

Really frustrating but it's a pretty pointless as it stands

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
&roid said:

I'd contact the company. I've had zero issues with mine. Works perfectly every time for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
&roid said:

I'd contact the company. I've had zero issues with mine. Works perfectly every time for me.
My Cplay2Air adapter works as follows:-

Really quick to bring up the Cplay2Air screen, the one that asks you to Click on a phone.

That screen can stay on anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes whilst Autosearching for a phone.

Sometimes pressing the Search button helps in connecting the phone.

Once the connection to the phone is made, it works great, good sound with very few stutters.

I've tried it with my wife's phone and the results are pretty much the same.

I've tried reinstalling firmware as per the download file link early on in this thread, and my phone says that the Cplay2Air unit is running the latest software (March 2021).

I sent an email to the company asking for a returns authorisation, but never got a response.

Whether the unit will eventually "autoconnect" with my front offside tyre remains to be seen!

So all in all its not been a great experience, but it kind of works. &roid, you are not alone.

Regards,
Nigel

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sounds like there may be a few quality control issues. Maybe like my Ecotricity charging I've been lucky again! Mine really has been impeccable. Can take up to a minute to connect (usually less than 30 seconds) and when that screen you mention comes up (the connect to phone one) it auto connects within a few seconds with no interaction from me. So it definitely sounds like there are a few faulty dongles out there. Sorry to hear company's comms haven't been great for you. That doesn't help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
Sounds like there may be a few quality control issues. Maybe like my Ecotricity charging I've been lucky again! Mine really has been impeccable. Can take up to a minute to connect (usually less than 30 seconds) and when that screen you mention comes up (the connect to phone one) it auto connects within a few seconds with no interaction from me. So it definitely sounds like there are a few faulty dongles out there. Sorry to hear company's comms haven't been great for you. That doesn't help.
Hi ADD,

That's where I got to - put it down to a dodgy unit. Usually it isn't an issue and usually connects in its own sweet time - but on the rare occasions when it doesn't connect it's very distracting trying to press different things on the screen whilst looking at the road.

There is one advantage though - when we set off, the auto connect screen is generally up and running and we're just waiting for Car Play to spring into action, you realise just how whisper quiet the I-Pace is!

On balance it's no big deal - you just get used to it. I'm hoping that another software revision might fix it.

All the best,
Kind regards,
Nigel

41 - 60 of 103 Posts