Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
deanio said:
I have the carlinkit 2. It has a different connection screen than on your video. I had no problem connecting it for the first time and it connects straight away each time I use the car within around 15 seconds of starting the car. A very stable connection
I've checked this with Carlinkit. They say there are two interfaces, but it doesn't affect the performance. The hardware is the same, and so is the performance. They just have two different user interfaces. Yours is actually the newer one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just thought I'd update my experience with the carplay2air. I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 13 pro so thought I'd give it a go again in case my phone was the issue.

Unfortunately at first I had just the same problems - it would connect maybe one time in three.

Having not used the device for several months I thought I'd give it one last chance and do a firmware update. Turns out it needed two new versions installing. After about ten minutes I'd got it up to date with the latest version… lo and behold, it now works perfectly!

I've connected maybe 15-20 times since the update and it's worked perfectly every time - finally!

No idea what was wrong but I can now happily jump in the car and CarPlay pops up after a minute or so. It works like it should do!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've just bought the Carlinkit 3.0 (Red Interface) from Amazon and it installed and configured first time. It did lock up after I ran a CarPlay settings change on my iPhone but after disconnecting from the car's USB port and reconnecting it worked fine, including the settings changes I had made. Early days but looks to be reliable and relatively responsive and certainly much better than the native infotainment system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
&roid said:
Just thought I'd update my experience with the carplay2air. I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 13 pro so thought I'd give it a go again in case my phone was the issue.

Unfortunately at first I had just the same problems - it would connect maybe one time in three.

Having not used the device for several months I thought I'd give it one last chance and do a firmware update. Turns out it needed two new versions installing. After about ten minutes I'd got it up to date with the latest version… lo and behold, it now works perfectly!

I've connected maybe 15-20 times since the update and it's worked perfectly every time - finally!

No idea what was wrong but I can now happily jump in the car and CarPlay pops up after a minute or so. It works like it should do!
Hey thank you for this!!! Having to plug in the phone every time I get in the car is a bit frustrating because I know that messes with the battery charging cycles, so this would be perfect if it now works. Am I right in assuming the car just behaves as normal, i.e. you get the little CarPlay symbol on the screen - no extra button presses or options? If its a seamless as that its worth the ££ I think.

I presume this is the one you bought? https://cplay2air.com/products/cplaystreamer-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay-android-auto-module-and-mirror-link-feature

Thank you for persevering!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey thank you for this!!! Having to plug in the phone every time I get in the car is a bit frustrating because I know that messes with the battery charging cycles, so this would be perfect if it now works. Am I right in assuming the car just behaves as normal, i.e. you get the little CarPlay symbol on the screen - no extra button presses or options? If its a seamless as that its worth the ££ I think.

I presume this is the one you bought? https://cplay2air.com/products/cplaystr ... nk-feature
Yes, the CarPlay screen pops after 30-40 seconds without any intervention.
I use the Cplay2air (from this link: https://cplay2air.com/) in both our JLR vehicles for a year now and it worked very well all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
FWIW there is a £25 tick box discount on Amazon for the CarlinKit 3.0 & ADDs code stacks on top for a total cost of £105

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
kitenski said:
FWIW there is a £25 tick box discount on Amazon for the CarlinKit 3.0 & ADDs code stacks on top for a total cost of £105
In case it's of any interest, I've just uploaded a new video on the CarLinkit 3.0. It includes a discount code. Combined with the other offers on Amazon, it lets you purchase one for £80.99. Check the show notes under the video for full details on the discounts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So just to clarify before I order one of these that the latest Jaguar software update doesn't add wireless CarPlay? I was under the impression that the latest update added the wireless….. if not I'll order one!

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Update… I added all codes and ordered for 80.99 a moment ago.

Many thanks to AD Dude as always for the excellent videos. Subscribed and liked.

I wanted to know if it allows more than 1 phone connection or if you can switch connections on the fly…… and if the audio sound quality was in anyway compressed or compromised……but then decided that it's Amazon and if I don't like what I get I will return it without quibble….. they are excellent in that regard so I'll work out the details when it arrives tomorrow.

I added car play to my Discovery 4 and have got quite used to using it instead of the Land Rover UI. I'm really looking forward to ditching the Jaguar UI in favour of CarPlay. Yes after 5 months I can get around the Ipace interface but as we all know it's not very intuitive and quite clunky. I think the days of on board sat Nav are over as they can't keep up with an online mapping solution. (Google, Apple, Waze, Tom Tom etc. )

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
The one you want is the second one. It's the newest version. If you use the discounts detailed in the show notes of my video above then it will cost you £81.
Thanks, returned the other one and got the newest version. Mostly seems ok, but I've tried twice now to use Waze voice input for a location and it doesn't appear to pick up my voice? Does voice work for you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For anyone thinking of getting on of these, you might want to hold off for a bit. Carlinkit are sending me a review dongle to test out. Once I've done a video on it, they'll send me a discount code which you'll be able to use. It's not identical to the cplay2air. They tell me Carlinkit has a more stable chip, but I can't confirm that yet. My review one should come tomorrow. Will obviously take a bit of time to get the review done.
I’ve just got the latest unit. Just brilliant thanks so much. Clive.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Gadget

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hmm thanks, what have you used successfully and I'll give it a try!
I just use Apple maps and Siri. But if you want to use Waze you can set it as your default mapping app. Then any Siri command along the lines of “hey Siri take me to the opera house” should bring up the route on Waze instead of Apple Maps.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts