Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest concern for a successful launch of the I-Pace are the batteries!

With 25 000 preorders, how will Jaguar secure the supply of this big battery packages?

Is there any input in which LG Chem factory the batteries should be built?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My thoughts the that the spec for the batteries has already been completed as part of the production process.and probably the least of jags issues...I think the delays are more around getting the infrastructure in place to build the cars, I.e the MLB platform 'so to speak'.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible. But I still think it is the batteries!
Jaguar knows how to build cars. Electric cars are different, but not that different.
But the experience to build a 90 kWh battery and the capacity of the factory to do that is a different thing.
Do we know if the battery pack will be produced in Poland?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

Initially it appears that batteries will be made in Austria (not by Magna Steyr) initially and in the future the UK.

"The Coventry plans include test centres and research facilities, and in the longer term, a manufacturing site which would include a battery production unit as well as additional production lines for cars. It is the initial phase that is projected to give rise to the 10,000 new jobs, as well as an estimated 100,000 in the supply chain.

WMG is currently developing the batteries for JLR's new electric vehicle, the Ipace, although these will be produced in Austria (the car itself is being made by a third-party producer called Magna). According to Speth, the company is looking at conventional lithium ion technology and new solid-state technologies for its batteries; he also stated that Germany and the UK are "in a race" to be the leader in electric vehicle technology. By 2020, the company expects that 40% of its vehicles will feature electric powertrain options
."

from: https://www.theengineer.co.uk/jlrs-electric-vehicle-expansion-plans-to-bring-jobs-to-west-midlands/

Cheers,

Dieter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Dieter

This was a plan. But it has changed. It is now confirmed that LG Chem is producing the battery pack for the I-Pace. But the question is where? As far as I know they do not have any factories in Austria, but in Poland. But from Poland they want to supply other manufacturers, too ( Renault... )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.