Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

has anyone experienced a battery drop over night - first noticed this during the extremely hot weather where it was more noticable at 6-8% drop per evening.

At the moment it is closer to 3% which does seem to lend itself that it could be heat related. I do not have pre-conditioning or anything else switched on.

As an example:

18.45 Sunday Evening

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Steering part Motor vehicle

8.00am today (Monday Morning)

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am guessing its the temperature of battery dropping, therefore capacity/range

·
Registered
340 Posts
In the 3.5 years of ownership I've never experienced any overnight drop in capacity.
Change in range can be caused by difference in temperature on the GOM

Reactions: razor777

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am guessing its the temperature of battery dropping, therefore capacity/range
I would expect a range decrease based upon the capacity and temperature, but not a capacity change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could this be because after the first photo was taken, the car's systems were still functioning for a while, cooling the motors/battery, recalibrating computers etc., before shutting down for the night?
Then you also have the potential effect caused by the reduced ambient temperature.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have never seen the % change overnight or even after a couple of days. The GOM yes up and down a few miles.

Reactions: razor777

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had exactly this 2-3% drop overnight some days before the 12-Volt battery died. The car had to be carried to the dealer and the 12-Volt battery was replaced. Obviously the main battery tries to charge up the small 12V battery. After the new 12V it never happened again and even in between some weeks of not driving the % was stable like a rock. I would let check the 12V block immediately. You could otherwise strand quite fast. It would be good to know if that was the problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers all, I was half hoping this was a normal issue during hot weather but if no one else is getting it then looks like a dealer call.

Could this be because after the first photo was taken, the car's systems were still functioning for a while, cooling the motors/battery, recalibrating computers etc., before shutting down for the night?
Then you also have the potential effect caused by the reduced ambient temperature.
Hmm potentially.. but when it was mid 30s (temperature wise) it was dropping 10% points per night so would not expect any clean up activity to hit the battery that hard.

Reactions: AB-UK

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it's finally happened..

"Traction Battery Fault Detected" - looking at some of the horror stories on this forum it's not something I'm looking forward to.

·
Registered
243 Posts
12 v battery problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It could be a failing/failed 12V battery and the car is continually trying to recharge it. This would draw power from the traction battery and cause the drop. If the LED light in the car's hazard switch doesn't go off after 10 minutes (doors locked) or 30 minutes (doors unlocked) the car is not completely powering off as it should. This will be a battery draining event.

The faulty 12V battery issue does cause the "traction battery fault detected" message due to the monitoring circuit components getting their 12V food. Their hunger condition causes them to be confused and issue an erroneous message but at least you get a message that something is wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It could be a failing/failed 12V battery and the car is continually trying to recharge it. This would draw power from the traction battery and cause the drop. If the LED light in the car's hazard switch doesn't go off after 10 minutes (doors locked) or 30 minutes (doors unlocked) the car is not completely powering off as it should. This will be a battery draining event.

The faulty 12V battery issue does cause the "traction battery fault detected" message due to the monitoring circuit components getting their 12V food. Their hunger condition causes them to be confused and issue an erroneous message but at least you get a message that something is wrong.
Thanks, now have it booked into a Jaguar garage but they can't see it for another 8 weeks.

That's right, 8 weeks. Trying to find an alternative.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers, so contacted Jag Assistance who are sending out a technician.

Also, 5am this morning the alarm went off and car was dead, though jaguar teletrac spotted the low battery from remote and placed the car in service mode which thankfully stopped the alarm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is what it turned out to be, however slight difference. Coding module was corrupt and decided to isolate the battery hence discharge, not sure what the reason was but a re-update of the software fixed the issue. The JLR technician/engineer also mentioned there were two recalls on the car which I've never received an email for. He did the recall updates and he also mentioned that recall updates are not done OTA and normally when at a dealer are they applied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts