Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Battery Management...

12K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LowOnCash 
#1 ·
Hi Stacie,

Are you able to tell us about the battery management features of the i-Pace and recommendations for day to day charging limits?

With Tesla for example, owners are actively encouraged not to fully charge the car unless planning to use it the same day, and the car offers features to limit the charge to a specific percentage.

It has been suggested by some that it is not necessary to limit the maximum charge for the i-pace in this way, is this true?

Also, can we set a percentage limit on the battery charging if we wish?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Good afternoon Mark_t,

Thank you for your comment on the thread.

I am currently investigating your query with the Product Team as I do not have the information available that you requested. As soon as I have received a response I will be able to provide you with an update.

Thanks, Stacie

#4 ·
Good morning Mark_T,

I have taken the opportunity to liaise with the Product team in relation to your query and they have advised the below:

The "default" charge for I-PACE is to 80% of capacity, this does most to protect the battery, but also significantly shortens the amount of time the vehicle is on charge for as the last 20% of charge can take a long time.

By all means you can charge to 100% whenever you want, for example if you need to do a particularly long journey.

You will be able to set/override the default charge limit if they wish.

We recommend plugging I-PACE in each night and let it charge on cheap overnight electricity to 80%. If the vehicle is plugged in, then any cabin or battery pre-conditioning will then use main electricity rather than use energy stored in the battery which would reduce range.

I hope the above provides the answers you were hoping for.

Thanks, Stacie

#6 ·
I am having a 240vac/32 amp line installed in my garage prior to delivery late this year. Is the 32 amp controlled by the I Pace charger so that surges are controlled? In other words will a 32 amp breaker suffice or will I need a bigger breaker? Jim Antrim -Los Angeles

#9 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Good morning Mark_T,

I have taken the opportunity to liaise with the Product team in relation to your query and they have advised the below:

The "default" charge for I-PACE is to 80% of capacity, this does most to protect the battery, but also significantly shortens the amount of time the vehicle is on charge for as the last 20% of charge can take a long time.

By all means you can charge to 100% whenever you want, for example if you need to do a particularly long journey.

We recommend plugging I-PACE in each night and let it charge on cheap overnight electricity to 80%. If the vehicle is plugged in, then any cabin or battery pre-conditioning will then use main electricity rather than use energy stored in the battery which would reduce range.

Thanks, Stacie
Now that the car is out ... this appears not to be true at all. There is no % charge limit option that I have found, anyway. Am I wrong here?

#10 ·
WattAJag said:
CRC@Jaguar said:
Good morning Mark_T,

Thanks, Stacie
Now that the car is out ... this appears not to be true at all. There is no % charge limit option that I have found, anyway. Am I wrong here?
that post is quite old and from before production.
There are plenty of other more recent threads in the forum discussing this exact same topic; rather than repeating it all I suggest you do a search.

#11 ·
I don't agree with you Billy. I haven't seen this post before from jaguar with this clear statement. Among others my dealer is telling me to charge to 100% every time because "it likes that". Furthermore there is no way to charge to 80% like JLR seems to advice in this reply. So this seems like a bit of a screw up from their side, if you ask me.
In other threads there has been a lot of discussion about this 80%, but this is the first clear JLR statement if you ask me

#12 ·
don't understand what you disagree with ?
all I said was that the post from CRC was quite old (April).
Since then the car has hit mainstream production & there are lots of other posts from JLR stating the opposite (that there is no problem) which was also quoted at the open days.

I'm not stating whether it's good or not, only that the quoted post is probably an old opinion, so it could be misleading to revive it unless it's clearly mentioned that it's an old post. Personally I don't ignore it, but consider it in the overall context of many more posts stating the opposite.

#13 ·
Hi Jaguar customer relations:

I pose the question: What is the true world expected mileage range of the a jaguar i-pace first edition with the batteries showing 100% charge. The day I took delivery of the car it showed 269miles. From then until the cold weather started it dropped down to approx 219 miles. It now shows 187-193 miles.
Originally I thought it was because of my heavy right foot, but after a trip to Gatwick from my house, I'm questioning that position. On setting off it showed 193 miles range and the total distance is 174 miles. I wasn't worried because I intended to drive with slow acceleration on cruise control and keep to moderate speeds since I had plenty of time. I expected to easily improve on the predicted range because of my saintly driving and lack of accessories.

Not so, arriving at Gatwick I had approx 50% battery and had to stop on the way home to charge. This was a huge disappointment, and now leaves my fearful of longer journeys.

Should I be having the batteries checked under guarantee, or should I be complaining to Jaguar about miss-selling

#14 ·
Oily_rag said:
Should I be having the batteries checked under guarantee, or should I be complaining to Jaguar about miss-selling
You should be mainly checking the "Windy" app on your phone before heading out, today in NL there is so much wind that driving an EV your consumption depending on your direction will change completely, even more so if you keep to the speed limit. I think the UK counts as a windy country also, doesn't help especially not in the cold season. The GOM prediction doesn't measure wind (yet, unfortunately).

#15 ·
Oily_rag said:

I pose the question: What is the true world expected mileage range of the a jaguar i-pace first edition with the batteries showing 100% charge. The day I took delivery of the car it showed 269miles. From then until the cold weather started it dropped down to approx 219 miles. It now shows 187-193 miles.
Originally I thought it was because of my heavy right foot, but after a trip to Gatwick from my house, I'm questioning that position. On setting off it showed 193 miles range and the total distance is 174 miles. I wasn't worried because I intended to drive with slow acceleration on cruise control and keep to moderate speeds since I had plenty of time. I expected to easily improve on the predicted range because of my saintly driving and lack of accessories.

Not so, arriving at Gatwick I had approx 50% battery and had to stop on the way home to charge. This was a huge disappointment, and now leaves my fearful of longer journeys.

Good Morning Oily_rag

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to hear of the concerns that you have following your driving experience.

If you would kindly send me a PM with the following information I can look into these concerns for you.

Vehicle Identification Number or Registration
Your personal contact details

I look forward to hearing from you

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#16 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Oily_rag said:

Good Morning Oily_rag

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to hear of the concerns that you have following your driving experience.

If you would kindly send me a PM with the following information I can look into these concerns for you.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
One month to reply to a question. Do you consider that good customer support Dan?

I will come back mid-February for your reply.

Seriously though, there needs to be a way to officially report issues directly to Jaguar for the I-Pace.

#17 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
Oily_rag said:

Good Morning Oily_rag

Thank you for your post.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Hi Dan, Thanks for getting back to me. Apparently I'm too new to the forum to post a PM, and I'm fairly green at the forum etiquette since I usually avoid them like the plaque. Is it possible you could send me a PM including a contact email address to post the details.
If not I'll contact the administrator to get upgraded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.