Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
A lot of Tesla owners laughing and 'worrying' about bad Jaguar range and screen issues on the Tesla owned forum: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/jaguar-i-pace.88572/
Interesting to read how people oppose to competition by telling eachother how well their own car is. I think we owe Tesla huge for breaking the ICE car market and I hope that all other car makers will help making the future better by building BEV's for everyone's taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Agree to. A lot of Tesla owners are American and like for apple they are fan boy of their brand and so a bit blind and not fair with others brands.
Anyway they are EV drivers so not so bad :)
Thx Tesla for waiking up others car manufacturers .
Without them we maybe couldn't buy an electric Jaguar in 2018.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I've read a comparison somewhere else, it was something like:

- ICE drivers think the iPace is an amazing car. Because its 'a car' with a better drivetrain. It looks like a car, it has an infotainment system that is comparable to other cars, etc, etc. Its more silent, better acceleration, etc, etc. Lots to like! Not really anything to dislike compared to a similar ICE.

- Tesla drivers think that the energy consumption of the iPace is bad (in comparison to Tesla) and the infotainment system is way worse than Tesla's. Lack of charging infrastructure and lack of 3-phase AC charging are major issues. However, we all do agree that the Jaguar is a car that has a better build quality. Less rattles, less issues. Perhaps even some other improvements over Tesla such as the one-pedal-driving to full-stop and 90 kW regen.

I personally agree with this. Tesla's infotainment system is light-year's ahead from any other other brand's offerings. Tesla's energy consumption is clearly better. However, I must also admit that I have some technical issues with my brand new (5 months old) Tesla that disappoint me somewhat. The issues I have are nothing new, all very common Tesla issues. It disappoints me that these issues still haven't been fixed. These are small, some just cosmetic, issues that do not affect the car's ability to drive. But still, shouldn't be on a brand new 150k car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Which matters the most is that ICE drivers think the iPace is an amazing car, because BEV s has only 1% market share.
RegardingI-Pace range the good news is Ionity boosting its superchargers deployment plan in Europe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Just received a Tesla marketing email and followed the link to 'Design Yours' https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/modelx/design. I tried to build a model X model 100D with a spec as near as possible to the HSE I-Pace I have on order and noticed a few things;

:eek: Although I am very unimpressed with the JLR colour choice Tesla only offer 5 colors
:shock: There is no HUD option - That's a 'must have' for me
:eek: The wheel choice is boring
:eek: A set of winter tyres adds £2,600 to the price (I did not specify them in my build) but presumably, you get them INSTEAD of the standard fit. I would expect to pay less than £1,000 for a set to put on my F-Pace.
:eek: The cash price worked out more than £21,000 more than my I-Pace spec at £98,800
:shock: Tesla are very clever to encourage you to allow for fuel savings and a £7,000 p.a. London Congestion Charge when calculating the cost of ownership
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Thincat said:
Just received a Tesla marketing email and followed the link to 'Design Yours' https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/modelx/design. I tried to build a model X model 100D with a spec as near as possible to the HSE I-Pace I have on order and noticed a few things;

:eek: Although I am very unimpressed with the JLR colour choice Tesla only offer 5 colors
:shock: There is no HUD option - That's a 'must have' for me
:eek: The wheel choice is boring
:eek: A set of winter tyres adds £2,600 to the price (I did not specify them in my build) but presumably, you get them INSTEAD of the standard fit. I would expect to pay less than £1,000 for a set to put on my F-Pace.
:eek: The cash price worked out more than £21,000 more than my I-Pace spec at £98,800
:shock: Tesla are very clever to encourage you to allow for fuel savings and a £7,000 p.a. London Congestion Charge when calculating the cost of ownership
If you want to compare apples to apples you should compare the I-Pace with aTesla Model S 75D. The X is much more a SUV compared to the Jag, it's much larger and seats up to 7 people. So obviously, it's much more expensive. The S75D's price tag is give and take comparable with a same-loaded I-Pace. It has a smaller battery, but a longer actual range and a decent 3ph on-baord charger (compared to the Jag). You could even seat 7 (including two kids) in the S75D - at extra cost for seats. And the Tesla European Supercharger (4000 chargers at 426 locations) and Destination Charger network (app. 7.000 chargers at hotels, resto's etc) - alle free of charge - are currently invincible. Also the autopilot-function (at extra serious costs) is just amazing

I own a Tesla S100D (2018) and P85 (2013) - driven over 250K km since 2013 - and agree fully on the much better build quality of the Jag (the Tesla is American..), Tesla colors are a bit dull (but mine is lovely blue), there is no HUD (don't care). I buy (winter) tyres much cheaper at the tyre shop, I drive 50K km and save €7.000 per year on gas (cheap home-charging electricity & free supercharging). I use the autopilot on a daily base. I welcome all EV's - looked at the I-Pace, love Jaguar (owning an E-type 1.5) but have no doubts whatsoever about not buying an I-Pace...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Autopilot is just useless in Europe for now because u have to keep your hands on the steering wheel. So not a real advantage.
Tesla is a car for streight American roads. Not fun to drive like the I pace.
It's longer and whider, not adapted to small European roads and parkings.
So ok u go a bit farther with a charge but boring.
So have no doubts whatsoever about not buying a Tesla.

At least their are differents EV for différents ppl :) and both are far batter than ice for towns pollution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Tophe74 said:
Autopilot is just useless in Europe for now because u have to keep your hands on the steering wheel. So not a real advantage.
Tesla is a car for streight American roads. Not fun to drive like the I pace.
It's longer and whider, not adapted to small European roads and parkings.
So ok u go a bit farther with a charge but boring.
So have no doubts whatsoever about not buying a Tesla.

At least their are differents EV for différents ppl :) and both are far batter than ice for towns pollution.
That's your personal opinion and that is great. Just don't generalize your views on the rest of us.
Autopilot is a safety feature, it is not perfect but helps preventing accidents. It's technology is superior to I-Pace (as is Volvo, Audi etc.)
The Tesla drives just fine, also in corners it's fun. Maybe not as much as I-Pace but certainly not dull.
Yes, Tesla is larger. You get more car for the money than I-Pace.
Yes, you not only go farther with the Tesla, but you charge faster getting to your destination faster (and safer with autopilot).

I know rational / objectivity is out the window, with cars in the pricebracket of 70k+. I get people wanting to justify their purchase to themselves and other but Tesla is objectively the better car and value proposition. It's the reason they are benchmark.

Still great people dare to choose differently, as variety is great and drives innovation!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Found the following comparison between I-Pace and X75D. Still the X is a larger car, but comparing these two (instead of X100D) makes more sense given that the actual range of both cars is approximately the same. Otherwise 75D and 100D are exactly the same cars except that the price is 20K lower. Of course this list is not complete.

<TWITTER id="1052601886224916481" url="https://twitter.com/VGrinshpun/status/1052601886224916481"> </TWITTER>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Raeth said:
That's your personal opinion and that is great. Just don't generalize your views on the rest of us.

I know rational / objectivity is out the window, with cars in the pricebracket of 70k+. I get people wanting to justify their purchase to themselves and other but Tesla is objectively the better car and value proposition. It's the reason they are benchmark.
But you are generalising your views on the rest of us and trying to justify your purchase.

I drove a Tesla s 90D and loved the drive. The car isn't anything special looking, lower to the ground than I like, poor quality interior and has reliability issues.
I drove the I-Pace and loved the drive. The car is pretty stylish and I especially love the front end. It sits a bit higher which I like, the interior is vastly superior.
I have an SUV if I want to transport larger items and my current daily driver (Audi Q3) has less room than the I-Pace without issue.
My longest trips are to an airport around 120miles away and if I was to go further then I would factor in stops. I don't drive a long distance for work. It's actually been a few years since I have driven further than 200 miles in one day and it would be an adventure.

I have a Jaguar dealer within 30 miles. The closest Tesla Dealer is around 90 miles but the one I have been to and would have used is around 120 miles in the direction I would normally travel.

The Jaguar is cheaper and has a better quality feel.

Can't you see why I would favour the I-pace?

I never understand why people would go onto a car forum for a certain car and try and tell them they are all making a mistake and should buy the car that you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
hereu said:
Raeth said:
That's your personal opinion and that is great. Just don't generalize your views on the rest of us.

I know rational / objectivity is out the window, with cars in the pricebracket of 70k+. I get people wanting to justify their purchase to themselves and other but Tesla is objectively the better car and value proposition. It's the reason they are benchmark.
But you are generalising your views on the rest of us and trying to justify your purchase.

I drove a Tesla s 90D and loved the drive. The car isn't anything special looking, lower to the ground than I like, poor quality interior and has reliability issues.
I drove the I-Pace and loved the drive. The car is pretty stylish and I especially love the front end. It sits a bit higher which I like, the interior is vastly superior.
I have an SUV if I want to transport larger items and my current daily driver (Audi Q3) has less room than the I-Pace without issue.
My longest trips are to an airport around 120miles away and if I was to go further then I would factor in stops. I don't drive a long distance for work. It's actually been a few years since I have driven further than 200 miles in one day and it would be an adventure.

I have a Jaguar dealer within 30 miles. The closest Tesla Dealer is around 90 miles but the one I have been to and would have used is around 120 miles in the direction I would normally travel.

The Jaguar is cheaper and has a better quality feel.

Can't you see why I would favour the I-pace?

I never understand why people would go onto a car forum for a certain car and try and tell them they are all making a mistake and should buy the car that you have.
You misread and/or misunderstood my post.

I merely call out some of the generalizations made by others and raise a few objective facts as a counter.

I understand (potential) buyers typically don't want to hear counter arguments to their decision, we seek reinforcement of our choice (that typically goes for everybody and is good life strategy). From that perspective I also get why you (wrongfully) assume that I own a Tesla or haven't ordered an I-Pace.

If I wasn't interested in this car, I wouldn't be on this forum. I just have rational view on its capabilities. It's not a game changer and it doesn't have to be. It's a good car in it's own right and I really hope it succeeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
by hereu » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:55 am

Raeth wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 am

I never understand why people would go onto a car forum for a certain car and try and tell them they are all making a mistake and should buy the car that you have.
That is a good point. There are several possible reasons.
One is insecurity. You are not sure of this thing so you keep telling everyone at every opportunity that this 'thing' is the greatest thing ever.

Then there are those that truly believe that their leader is the new Messiah despite that person saying that he's just a pretty normal person.
These are the true disciples and their way is the only way forward and everyone else is an unbeliever.

It is much the same with Football Supporters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Like Apple fan boys their are a lot of Tesla fan boys that are persuaded they did the right choice and all others are wrong
That's it, it's life, it's human. As long they don't change my life I don't care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Tophe74 said:
Like Apple fan boys their are a lot of Tesla fan boys that are persuaded they did the right choice and all others are wrong
That's it, it's life, it's human. As long they don't change my life I don't care.
Indeed, that's what being a fanboy is about, being it for Tesla, Apple, JLR, McDonalds or any other brand.

As long as they don't presume to speak on my and/or our behalf, I have little issue with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I was all ready to buy a Tesla as I was ready to move from my 3 yr old ICE Mercedes 350GLE diesel primarily because I simply couldn't live with myself owning a diesel and living in central London. Diesels are definitely yesterday's technology in almost very way.
I spend a lot of time in the US so I know a thing or two about driving American cars of all shapes and sizes. Like so many US cars the Tesla X I test drove was the nearest thing to driving a boat on dry land. It was HUGE and wallowed in a soft cushiony way round corners and the steering felt about as disconnected from the human behind the wheel as possible. In shirt it felt like a hundred different large US cars from GM, Chrysler and the rest from back in the 70's. and that's before I even got into the build quality and general interior feel which a lot of people have already conceded, whether they are Tesla fanboys or not.
When I then test drive the iPace it was like being back in my 20's when I owned a series of different sports cars before I became a family man. It was direct, with a teal feel for the road and though large, I never felt like I was navigating the Queen Mary through the streets of London. And the comparison with the Tesla's interior was chalk and cheese. I admit I hated the rear visibility which is negligible and I recognised that it really wasn't a spacious SUV when it came to cargo space but without really researching further -which I have now done by becoming a devotee of this forum - I traded in my Merc there and then for an iPace due to be delivered in January.
Yes, the range is clearly not as previously advertised, the infotainment is apparently not anything like as good as the Tesla's and I never experienced anything like the issues with my Merc that I now see some people complain of with the rear camera which where I live is an accessory I now believe I can't do without, but anyone who was perhaps once a bit of a secret petrolhead will perhaps understand that I fell in love with this car when I had finished my test drive.
These things are not rational decisions for those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to affor these incredibly luxurious indulgences. If it was a purely rational decision I would be buying a Leaf or something else at half the price. It is pure and simple a personal indulgence which my wife kindly suooorts me in.
If we all were a little less emotional in our defence of our respective vehicle choice and simply accepted that whatever decision we made was not just about rational decision making maybe these discussions would be a little more tolerant and amusing.
How does that sound Tesla/Jaguar fanboys?
By the way, my wife and I have iPhones while my two sons have samsungs. Same debate there really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
My views exactly.
How are you managing to get an I-Pace so quickly?

I ordered in mid October and the dealer had a build slot available for a customer who had cancelled their reservation so I could take their slot. I ordered before the reduction in the government grant down from £4,500 to £3,500 which was helpful, and finalised all the details almost immediately, although I added surround sound in early November. I think the car was due to go into build on something like 14th November and is due for completion on 8th December with delivery to the UK round about 18th December and available for me to collect on January 4th. Let's see if that actually happens in the real world, especially given Christmas and new year intervening.
It is definitely worth asking your dealer if they have any build slots available for cancelled orders. Another dealer out of London offered me the same facility. In my case the fact that I didn't need to wait until April or May was a real clincher though I probably would have bought an i-pace anyway. The Tesla just didn't do it for me and the fact that the i-pace was considerably cheaper was an undeniable factor though i was also looking at a used 1 year old Model X with less than 5,000 miles which I could afford.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top