Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a thought, the regen is so good on the I Pace (when set to max) that the car slows down really quickly, when driving a demo car for a few hours at the weekend, I hardly had to use the brakes at all, so I wondered, when the car is slowing down using the regen only, do the brake lights come on to show drivers behind you that your are slowing down? not having had an EV before, the thought just crossed my mind when driving my own car today.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Gdank said:
Yes the brake lights come on when using heavy regen braking
Which is going to make some folks behind you think you drive like an old lady or a nervous newby :D

Continuous hitting the brakes if something happens in front of you - instead of letting go of the gas pedal and see what happens. Now in reality that is what I-pace drivers will be doing but in the I-pace letting go of the gas pedal = hitting the brakes in an ICE car.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Tophe74 said:
Bah my e-tron already does that since 2015 so people know me has "the old lady" :) I prefer to call that eco driving :)
Oh it certainly is Eco driving but the majority of folks behind you is thinking the opposite - that idiot is braking instead of coasting - wasting energy :?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol: thanks guys!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Tophe74 said:
Bah my e-tron already does that since 2015 so people know me has "the old lady" :) I prefer to call that eco driving :)
Oh it certainly is Eco driving but the majority of folks behind you is thinking the opposite - that idiot is braking instead of coasting - wasting energy :?
Not so much I think. The I-Pace (as well as the e-tron) probably show the brake lights only above some defined rate of deceleration. That's what my VW Gold GTE does. On higher regen setting, lifting foot from pedal can light the brake lights, but only when lifting the foot enough to engage enough slowdown. Your brake lights will engage a bit more often (or sooner) than with a traditional ICE car, but not as much and as frequently than you might think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I read somewhere the brake lights are activated at 0.1g retardation.
But yes, I too think we'll look odd to those following

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think low regenerative braking is more energy efficient than high regenerative braking.

Regenerative braking converts kinetic energy for 30 % in to electricity. So 70 % loss. Beter is to use really anticipating driving, and release the "gas" and let the car roll out to the max. Than kinetic energy is converted in to "distance" (just rolling-resistance and drag, not waste in dynamo, converter charger etc.).

There are some informative video's of nissans which showed that low regenerative braking (when possible) is more energy efficient than high regenerative braking.
Positive side effects: (1) passengers don't get car-sick and (2) your fellow drivers don't think that you drive like an old lady (with regard to the braking-lights.

Would like to see a comparison between high and low regen braking in the i-pace.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Bart , are you sure about the 70% loss ? Where does it come from ?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Confirmed today at the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour that the brake lights do indeed come on when using regen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That came up today when we went to the Art of performance tour. I was told it monitors the g force during slow down and puts the lights on when that goes over a predefined threshold.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is exactly what happens with my i3. Not sure if there is a govt regulation but deceleration above a preset g triggers the brake lights

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Bart said:
I think low regenerative braking is more energy efficient than high regenerative braking.

Regenerative braking converts kinetic energy for 30 % in to electricity. So 70 % loss. Beter is to use really anticipating driving, and release the "gas" and let the car roll out to the max. Than kinetic energy is converted in to "distance" (just rolling-resistance and drag, not waste in dynamo, converter charger etc.).

There are some informative video's of nissans which showed that low regenerative braking (when possible) is more energy efficient than high regenerative braking.
Positive side effects: (1) passengers don't get car-sick and (2) your fellow drivers don't think that you drive like an old lady (with regard to the braking-lights.

Would like to see a comparison between high and low regen braking in the i-pace.
Having dynamically adjustable regen is one thing that I'm going to miss when moving from my Outlander PHEV to the I-Pace. On the Outlander, there are flappy paddles either side of the steering column that control the regen. you can tailor it to the exact situation you are in. That also means that you can introduce high regen gradually which would reduce the incidents of travel sickness for passengers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is this "favorite" button (4) on the steering wheel which can be programmed with different functions from the infotainment system.
White Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

I'm wondering if it would be possible for Jaguar to add the Regen settings as an option to this button.
Right now it's not possible... I tried

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts