Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning

My brand new (200 miles) I-Pace was recovered to the dealer yesterday and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem?

Driving along and brake warning lights (orange and red) and loss of traction control (makes sense if brakes are not working). This resulted in the brakes not working and only avoided another car with regenerative braking.

Vehicle Car Speedometer Trip computer Odometer
Jaguar assist sent out normal AA man that took one look and said not trained on that, next day Jag technician out who said brake sensor failure which in turn means no brakes.

Given parts back order and NYE no idea when i will get my car back☹☹☹

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I suppose this is more a general brake failure rather then EV-specific?

Raises a good point though. When contacting Jag Assist, make sure they send an EV-qualified tech, not just an "ICE" man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No EV specific as on an ICE car you still have manual braking on the I-Pace when the brake sensor goes you have nothing☹

Jaguar assistance should know to send a tech skilled to the car😎

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought the brake pedal was still physically connected to a brake servo. So even with no electronics you can push (hard) and the normal brakes will still work. Otherwise, the safe to drive with caution message is a bit off message.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought the brake pedal was still physically connected to a brake servo. So even with no electronics you can push (hard) and the normal brakes will still work. Otherwise, the safe to drive with caution message is a bit off message.
Yeah. Would like confirmation on this. Hard to believe an electronic failure could mean death. Super dangerous otherwise.

Reactions: symos

·
Registered
22 Posts
No EV specific as on an ICE car you still have manual braking on the I-Pace when the brake sensor goes you have nothing☹

Jaguar assistance should know to send a tech skilled to the car😎
This is pretty scary if correct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AA Jag tech he said if brake sensor goes then no brakes..I challenged this and was told same as an ICE card if the servo goes?

Can confirm my car had no brakes with these wanting lights on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is a super serious fault if true. No brakes? Seriously? You could have ploughed into a group of people killing dozens! 😱

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good morning

My brand new (200 miles) I-Pace was recovered to the dealer yesterday and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem?

Driving along and brake warning lights (orange and red) and loss of traction control (makes sense if brakes are not working). This resulted in the brakes not working and only avoided another car with regenerative braking.

View attachment 7131 Jaguar assist sent out normal AA man that took one look and said not trained on that, next day Jag technician out who said brake sensor failure which in turn means no brakes.

Given parts back order and NYE no idea when i will get my car back☹☹☹
Let me get this straight

You are driving along Guildford Rd and both the amber and red brake warning lights come on.
And your response is to keep your foot on the gas (that's a lot of power being applied according to the gauge) and grab your phone to take a picture.

Online manual clearly says if red light comes on to "safely bring the vehicle to a stop, as quickly as possible"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the back up battery / capacitor wasn't doing its job.

Had similar twice on my car - first when brand new, and the for some reason the "braking system auxiliary battery" wasn't charging. The first time was just the warning messages. Then again a couple of weeks ago, when it started the same, but as the battery drained, things got progressively worse until there was no brake assistance at all - ie servo assist stopped. I drove home pretty slowly, with Regen working fine, it was only when I was crawling downhill towards a junction when the last bit of regen wont actually stop the car, that it took all my effort stood on the brake pedal to actually stop the car - a very scary and downright dangerous experience! Luckily this was literally by home, so I was able to pull into my drive. At that point the dash came up with a snail symbol and the car would only do 1mph along my drive.

JLR tech came out, ran diagnostics which confirmed the same auxiliary battery was flat. He traced it back to an ABS module software update that had switched off the charging - he switched it back on , and car was instantly fixed!

He told me that a redesign on the Gen 2 cars replaced the auxiliary battery with a capacitor to prevent this happening.

I am not particularly happy that the car can be completely disabled by a software update that I have no control over as the car nears the end of its warranty period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts