Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I start the ball rolling, albeit with a question that may not be easy to answer:

One of my main concerns with iPace is not so much range anxiety as such, but the uncertainty of knowing where I can be sure of getting a recharge if I'm on a longer trip. I've heard that all JLR dealers are likely to get charging points fitted in the near future but (i) it would be good to get confirmation and any estimate of timescale; and (ii) are there likely to be enough charge points at each dealer to enable one to be free much of the time?

And, related, given that Jaguar dealers are thin on the ground in some parts (eg Norfolk, where AFAIK there's only Norwich in quite a big county) it would be reassuring to hear that JLR is involved with some initiatives to help build out public fast chargers at locations other than JLR dealers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
johnd said:
Can I start the ball rolling, albeit with a question that may not be easy to answer:

One of my main concerns with iPace is not so much range anxiety as such, but the uncertainty of knowing where I can be sure of getting a recharge if I'm on a longer trip. I've heard that all JLR dealers are likely to get charging points fitted in the near future but (i) it would be good to get confirmation and any estimate of timescale; and (ii) are there likely to be enough charge points at each dealer to enable one to be free much of the time?

And, related, given that Jaguar dealers are thin on the ground in some parts (eg Norfolk, where AFAIK there's only Norwich in quite a big county) it would be reassuring to hear that JLR is involved with some initiatives to help build out public fast chargers at locations other than JLR dealers.
Good afternoon Johnd,

Thank you for your comment.

I have had a look into your query and I have been advised that our retailer network will have charging points for Demonstrator, courtesy and handover vehicles only.

At present there are no plans to make charging points available for I-PACE customers to use except for when the customers are visiting a retailer.

In relation to the charging points Chargemaster have maps available to help locate their chargers. These are also available via their website and on smartphone apps. The location of Polar chargers will be built into the SatNav on the I-PACE as Points of Interest.

Thanks, Stacie

G

·
Shame Jag can't provide this service as Tesla do, Porsche will, and even Nissan do too at a lot places.

I'm also sure Merc / VW / Audi will do too when they start mass producing EV for the UK.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the answer Stacie, although disappointing to some degree it is very understandable.

Fortunately I think the real answer will come with the IONITY network, rather than Chargemaster, and even though IONITY is jointly owned by BMW, Daimler, Ford and the Volkswagen Group, they are manufacturer agnostic in terms of use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, thanks Stacie, we appreciate your answer. It's not a technical question, but just a comment that you might be able to pass on:

I'd echo the comment that it's rather disappointing that Jaguar are effectively leaving I-Pace owners on their own when it comes to recharging facilities and not even encouraging the use of JLR dealer rechargers.

Understanding how recharging is going to work on longer trips is, I suspect, a major issue for many prospective I-Pace owners. The whole topic of en-route charging is foreign territory to those like me who have never owned an EV before. I can understand the difference between AC and DC chargers, but everything beyond that is unknown and a potential cause for concern.

Which fast chargers am I physically going to be able to connect to? What are the main charging networks that I should be investigating as suitable for use with I-Pace? Eg aren't Polar actually owned by Chargemaster or is Polar only one subcategory of Chargemaster rechargers, but maybe the only one compatible with I-Pace? Ionity sounds like a great idea but seemingly minimal progress on the ground so far, at least outside of the main urban centres like London and major motorway routes; presumably this will change and hopefully quite quickly, but still a leap of faith for prospective buyers.

It would have good to have seen Jaguar taking the initiative to encourage the build-out of chargers and also making more efforts to explain this rather alien landscape to new I-Pace owners.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can connect to any CCS fast chargers. Most rapid chargers have this and Chademo as an option. CCS is mandatory standard for all EU fast chargers installed from now on (ie must have at least CCS option)

·
Registered
133 Posts
johnd said:
Yes, thanks Stacie, we appreciate your answer. It's not a technical question, but just a comment that you might be able to pass on:

I'd echo the comment that it's rather disappointing that Jaguar are effectively leaving I-Pace owners on their own when it comes to recharging facilities and not even encouraging the use of JLR dealer rechargers.

Understanding how recharging is going to work on longer trips is, I suspect, a major issue for many prospective I-Pace owners. The whole topic of en-route charging is foreign territory to those like me who have never owned an EV before. I can understand the difference between AC and DC chargers, but everything beyond that is unknown and a potential cause for concern.

Which fast chargers am I physically going to be able to connect to? What are the main charging networks that I should be investigating as suitable for use with I-Pace? Eg aren't Polar actually owned by Chargemaster or is Polar only one subcategory of Chargemaster rechargers, but maybe the only one compatible with I-Pace? Ionity sounds like a great idea but seemingly minimal progress on the ground so far, at least outside of the main urban centres like London and major motorway routes; presumably this will change and hopefully quite quickly, but still a leap of faith for prospective buyers.

It would have good to have seen Jaguar taking the initiative to encourage the build-out of chargers and also making more efforts to explain this rather alien landscape to new I-Pace owners.
Good morning Johnd,

Thank you for your reply.

I will ensure that your comments are passed onto the relevant department for their consideration.

Jaguar are aware that there is already a well established public charging network in existence. As charging networks expand ad become more widely available Jaguar Land Rover believe it will be better to support these networks rather than trying to establish our own network.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me and I will look to answers these where possible.

Thanks, Stacie

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hello Stacie,

First of all thank you for taking our questions and trying to provide answers, a real good addition to this Forum (well done Mark T).

In an earlier answer you indicate:
"Jaguar are aware that there is already a well established public charging network in existence. As charging networks expand and become more widely available Jaguar Land Rover believe it will be better to support these networks rather than trying to establish our own network. "

It is true that there is a large network of public chargers, in the Netherlands I believe there are 35,000 charging points. However 95% of those are AC chargers which makes Jaguar unfortunately decision not to provide the I-pace with 3 phase charger even more strange. Considering that the I-pace has 1 of the largest batteries of all BEV available and at same time nearly the worst fuel economy per kwh it is rather odd to leave I-pace owners trying to charge a 90kw battery at 7kw an hour.

Would you please pass above message to Jaguar I-pace developers hoping that Jaguar realize their mistake and introduce the 3 phase charger much earlier than current schedule of 2020. It will certainly be too late for the early I-pace pioneers but it is currently in my view the biggest flaw in the I-pace design.

Best regards
Jelle

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, it's the reason for a client of mine to buy a Tesla. Overnight charging with 3,6 kWh (the effective charging rate from a 3 phase 16A connection which most of them have) is to little for owners who make a lot of miles. Perhaps Stacie you can asked Ian why they went for a single phase charger. Possibly the choice was a 3 phase 16A or a 1 phase 32 A. Then a lot of people with 1 phase 32A would be crying out loud in case of a 3 phase 16A charger. The best charger would be a 3 phase 32 A.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Hello Stacie,

First of all thank you for taking our questions and trying to provide answers, a real good addition to this Forum (well done Mark T).

In an earlier answer you indicate:
"Jaguar are aware that there is already a well established public charging network in existence. As charging networks expand and become more widely available Jaguar Land Rover believe it will be better to support these networks rather than trying to establish our own network. "

It is true that there is a large network of public chargers, in the Netherlands I believe there are 35,000 charging points. However 95% of those are AC chargers which makes Jaguar unfortunately decision not to provide the I-pace with 3 phase charger even more strange. Considering that the I-pace has 1 of the largest batteries of all BEV available and at same time nearly the worst fuel economy per kwh it is rather odd to leave I-pace owners trying to charge a 90kw battery at 7kw an hour.

Would you please pass above message to Jaguar I-pace developers hoping that Jaguar realize their mistake and introduce the 3 phase charger much earlier than current schedule of 2020. It will certainly be too late for the early I-pace pioneers but it is currently in my view the biggest flaw in the I-pace design.

Best regards
Jelle
Good afternoon Jelle v/d Meer,

Thank you for your comment on the thread.

I will ensure that your comments are passed over to the product and design team for their consideration. Should I receive any further information I will post this to the thread.

Thanks, Stacie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.