Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been quite some speculation in he past, but today for the first time a senior Tesla executive (head of global charging infrastructure, Drew Bennett) confirmed that Tesla is to open up CCS fast charging for European Model 3, Model S and Model X. Including existing S and X providing an adapter.

"We'll be continuing to invest in our network - that's a huge part of the ownership experience. But we'll be enabling our owners to have access to the CCS networks that are starting to grow in Europe, so the Model 3 will have a charge port for the CCS standard and we'll also have an adaptor for Model S and X.".

Even more a reason for Ionity to speed-up implementation of their chargers.
see also: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/105236/tesla-to-open-up-ccs-fast-charging-for-european-model-3-model-s-and-model-x

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
EDi99 said:
There have been quite some speculation in he past, but today for the first time a senior Tesla executive (head of global charging infrastructure, Drew Bennett) confirmed that Tesla is to open up CCS fast charging for European Model 3, Model S and Model X. Including existing S and X providing an adapter.

"We'll be continuing to invest in our network - that's a huge part of the ownership experience. But we'll be enabling our owners to have access to the CCS networks that are starting to grow in Europe, so the Model 3 will have a charge port for the CCS standard and we'll also have an adaptor for Model S and X.".

see also: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/105236/tesla-to-open-up-ccs-fast-charging-for-european-model-3-model-s-and-model-x
Smart move of Tesla but really bad news for us - more competition for the CCS chargers. Still odd that Tesla doesn't open their Supercharger network for other EV's - not saying for free but they should allow others to charge there for a fee.

Tesla wants to be able to use the public Ionity network but is refusing to open up their supercharger network to other cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Indeed Jelle. I guess it's just a matter of time when it will be opened for other brands. Or maybe the European Union will force them to do so ;)

I read in the past that Tesla only can build new superchargers stations if they comply to the european fast charging standard ( CCS ). I think this was the case in Germany.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
EDi99 said:

Smart move of Tesla but really bad news for us - more competition for the CCS chargers. Still odd that Tesla doesn't open their Supercharger network for other EV's - not saying for free but they should allow others to charge there for a fee.

Tesla wants to be able to use the public Ionity network but is refusing to open up their supercharger network to other cars.
Yes I agree bad news for us. Tesla is actually not refusing to open up their superchargers , I heard Elon Musk saying that any car manufacturer is welcome,to join provided he is ready to pay a fair share of the costs. It should be a negotiation between Tesla and Ionity .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well - it seems it's a bit more subtile... The full interview can be found at https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/688/tesla-model-3-feature-ccs-charging-europe - I wonder if it's just Tesla to blame. Is there any car manufacturer actually willing to invest in the SuC network?

At least, by installing CSS cables at the Supercharger network the chargers are ready to be used by non-Tesla's.

You're going to be installing CCS cables across the Supercharger network: when will this process start?

"It'll start well ahead of [Model 3] deliveries. There's going to be a significant retrofit, we have a pretty good size network in Europe. The goal is to make sure for all the main travel routes as Model 3 launches that they'll be able to go anywhere in the Supercharger network. And we'll continue to aggressively switch from the single connector per post to the dual connectors per post.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
EDi99 said:
Well - it seems it's a bit more subtile... The full interview can be found at https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/688/tesla-model-3-feature-ccs-charging-europe - I wonder if it's just Tesla to blame. Is there any car manufacturer actually willing to invest in the SuC network?

At least, by installing CSS cables at the Supercharger network the chargers are ready to be used by non-Tesla's.

You're going to be installing CCS cables across the Supercharger network: when will this process start?

"It'll start well ahead of [Model 3] deliveries. There's going to be a significant retrofit, we have a pretty good size network in Europe. The goal is to make sure for all the main travel routes as Model 3 launches that they'll be able to go anywhere in the Supercharger network. And we'll continue to aggressively switch from the single connector per post to the dual connectors per post.
It is a clever move from Tesla since they have decided also to charge their customers for their superchargers

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
emgf said:
Tesla is actually not refusing to open up their superchargers , I heard Elon Musk saying that any car manufacturer is welcome,to join provided he is ready to pay a fair share of the costs. It should be a negotiation between Tesla and Ionity .
Well why could Tesla not just open it - why do manufacturers have to pay? Tesla is not paying for any of the public CCS chargers nor for those of Ionity. Tesla should open the Superchargers and charge non Tesla users for using them same as Ionity, Fastned and all other public CCS charger providers do.

So charger per kWh, per minute or per session - Elon Musk is asking the wrong party and I think deliberately to use that as an excuse to not open the Supercharger network to other brands.

People using it should pay not the manufacturer that build the car. That logic is like asking BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar etc to contribute to the cost o fuel stations.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jelle v/d Meer said:
emgf said:
Tesla is actually not refusing to open up their superchargers , I heard Elon Musk saying that any car manufacturer is welcome,to join provided he is ready to pay a fair share of the costs. It should be a negotiation between Tesla and Ionity .
Well why could Tesla not just open it - why do manufacturers have to pay? Tesla is not paying for any of the public CCS chargers nor for those of Ionity. Tesla should open the Superchargers and charge non Tesla users for using them same as Ionity, Fastned and all other public CCS charger providers do.

So charger per kWh, per minute or per session - Elon Musk is asking the wrong party and I think deliberately to use that as an excuse to not open the Supercharger network to other brands.

People using it should pay not the manufacturer that build the car. That logic is like asking BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar etc to contribute to the cost o fuel stations.
We're talking about participating in investments and risk - not operational costs. Currently Ionity has 120 (?) chargers at 21 locations. The Tesla SuC network is app. 20 times larger in # locations/30 times number of chargers. Actually - best would be if the two initiatives would become a joint operation. It's ridiculous to see Ionity chargers next to Superchargers at the same location like this one near Maagdenburg in Germany.
Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
EDi99 said:

This has to be good news for non-Tesla owners surely, as long as they adopt the second element of the EU directive and have a local card payment option, then, as the supercharger network gets upgraded we will have the TSC network as an option too.

....and in the UK at least, with Ecotricity having a monopoly at Motorway service stations this may be an elegant solution to circumvent that.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Tesla superchargers are included in the price of Tesla models. So maybe we should pay a right entry to use them, to be fair with Tesla owners.
Sure I would prefer to use them and pay each time for the KW I used but not sure Tesla is ready to open them because they will be less available for Tesla owners who already paid for it And Tesla would then loose the only advantage they have compared to other EV wich mean potentially less customers.
So like u I hope they ll open for all EV but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
EDi99 said:
We're talking about participating in investments and risk - not operational costs. Currently Ionity has 120 (?) chargers at 21 locations. The Tesla SuC network is app. 20 times larger in # locations/30 times number of chargers. Actually - best would be if the two initiatives would become a joint operation. It's ridiculous to see Ionity chargers next to Superchargers at the same location like this one near Maagdenburg in Germany.
Ionity is not the only Charging network in Europe. Other networks will be upgrading their 50kW CCS chargers to 100kW and above.

G

·
There is no way that we I.Pace owners are going to get access to the Tesla Supercharger network, unless Tesla cut it loose from their control/funding and wave it farewell. If Tesla choose to equip their Model 3 and then other models with connector types that enable them to access third party charging networks, then we should not object in the least - those networks are intended to be accessible to all, and if it increases demand, then supply will expand in response.

The Tesla network may today be the largest globally, but that is liable to change, as they limit expansion (either voluntarily or forced), and others expand to satisfy demand.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
mjc said:
There is no way that we I.Pace owners are going to get access to the Tesla Supercharger network, unless Tesla cut it loose from their control/funding and wave it farewell. If Tesla choose to equip their Model 3 and then other models with connector types that enable them to access third party charging networks, then we should not object in the least - those networks are intended to be accessible to all, and if it increases demand, then supply will expand in response.

The Tesla network may today be the largest globally, but that is liable to change, as they limit expansion (either voluntarily or forced), and others expand to satisfy demand.
I got your point but when JLR builds 2500 I-Paces in 3 months , Tesla makes almost 60000 M3 and they are coming to Europe in a few months . This is why Tesla adopts the CCS because they cannot cope with the superchargers demand

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Tophe74 said:
Tesla superchargers are included in the price of Tesla models. So maybe we should pay a right entry to use them, to be fair with Tesla owners.
Sure I would prefer to use them and pay each time for the KW I used but not sure Tesla is ready to open them because they will be less available for Tesla owners who already paid for it And Tesla would then loose the only advantage they have compared to other EV wich mean potentially less customers.
So like u I hope they ll open for all EV but I doubt it.
Tesla just changed that policy a few days ago

1 - 16 of 16 Posts