Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a very proud new owner of an I Pace, which I bought as an approved used car. Unfortunately I forgot to close the charging port door after charging the car and managed to snap the locking pin clean off. That’s OK I thought, you can just buy a new pin and all is good. But oh no, Jaguar don’t sell the pin (which was designed with a TX30 star driver hole to allow it to be replaced), I have to buy the whole charging port unit. At a cost of £60.

So, Jaguar, please allow me to understand:

Why I have to pay £60 for 362g of plastic when the 4g pin is clearly a part in and of it’s own being? And which was designed to be easily replace as the holder has a TX30 hole in the back and a ramp on the flap itself to secure it in place once turned.

Why, for other unfortunate folks like me but without the ability to fix things, do you not only sell them an expensive part but also charge them several hours of labour to fix a problem that’s a 2-minute fix? I’m sure you are aware that your service manual calls for both the wing and the door to be taken off to do so. This makes me wonder, do Jaguar mechanics actually take the wing off, knowing they can do the job jn 2 minutes without having to?

How you can justify to someone, who bought an EV to help the environment, that they have to buy 362g of plastic made in the Czech Republic and shipped to the UK and that will end up in landfill? And all the carbon footprint issues that creates?

This has soured my experience thus far of an amazing car. Maybe others reading this will take factors such as this into account when choosing a car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I bet no other manufacturer does thngs like that ....
Sure, they all do it but that doesn’t make it right. And there’s one thing selling overpriced parts, but another scamming people to pay for wings and door to be removed when a Torx screwdriver and 2 minutes does the job. My dealer said they had done 2 of these in the last week…..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On another forum I found out that Jaguar do actually sell the pin alone, and also that it’s the same part on an e-pace fuel flap. I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow…..
Grass Font Rectangle Ticket Event

·
Registered
32 Posts
Around a year ago, the lock on my car's charging port malfunctioned, and I couldn't open it to charge. Called Jaguar Assist, and after all sorts of attempts to free it, the AA man used a simple balloon with a pump attached to force the door open. Broke the locking pin off.

I did consider getting it fixed under warranty, but I was worried the fault would happen again. Two things decided me against it:

1- The door closes fine, and stays closed without the lock.
2- I can't see the purpose of a lock on the charging port - unlike an ICE car, no-one is going to be able to steal your energy source. It seems to me that the I-Pace designers carried forward a design feature of ICE cars that has no relevance whatsoever to an EV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Around a year ago, the lock on my car's charging port malfunctioned, and I couldn't open it to charge. Called Jaguar Assist, and after all sorts of attempts to free it, the AA man used a simple balloon with a pump attached to force the door open. Broke the locking pin off.

I did consider getting it fixed under warranty, but I was worried the fault would happen again. Two things decided me against it:

1- The door closes fine, and stays closed without the lock.
2- I can't see the purpose of a lock on the charging port - unlike an ICE car, no-one is going to be able to steal your energy source. It seems to me that the I-Pace designers carried forward a design feature of ICE cars that has no relevance whatsoever to an EV.
It’s true, the flap and pin are the same on the ePace. But on my iPace the flap didn’t fully close and I was worrried the rubber seal wouldn’t form properly and let water in. So for (as it turned out) £1.49 and 2 minutes of my time I replaced it

·
Registered
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 18in wheels, Fitted Mirror dashcam
506 Posts
On another forum I found out that Jaguar do actually sell the pin alone, and also that it’s the same part on an e-pace fuel flap. I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow…..
Thank you so much for posting this, I printed out your photo and was able to prove to the dealer that they were wrong in saying I had to buy an entire new flap assembly.

·
Registered
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 18in wheels, Fitted Mirror dashcam
506 Posts
How did you replace it? We have the part and just need to install it.
I managed to fit it in a couple of minutes (I think!). One end has two plastic lugs and they fit into the hole on the inside of the flap - only one way round. Once in you twist the pin to lock it in place. I have to admit that I'm not confident that I have got it all the way in and I'm going to keep checking it for a while to see if it falls out but at less than £2 it's not too expensive to replace if I lose this one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts