Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally charge my i-pace at home with my solar panels on a zappi charger but occasionally I have to use the zappi alone when solar is not available. I have had the car 5 months and in that time I have only used public chargers on 5 occasions. Having planned a longer trip for a Wedding Reception in Cheltenham, I had to include a stop at Gloucester Holiday Inn so as to use the 50kw Polar charger to replenish my battery.

I duly had the car charged to 100% and pre-conditioned for a 6.30 early start to allow for perhaps having to wait to be able to charge the car on arrival. I arrived at approx. 8.30 am at the charger and was pleased to see it was not in use. I had used about 70% of the battery power to get there as there were 4 adult occupants and we travelled in constant rain so I would need to replace that 70% plus extra for commuting between Cheltenham and Gloucester a few times with relations. I calculated, with a little contingency, that I would need 90%+ to get back to South Yorkshire later that day.

Having plugged the i-pace in and started to charge I double locked the car and headed for reception to register the car at the desk. We took this opportunity to include a toilet break and, because of the amount of charging needed we sat down and had a pot of tea. Whilst we were in the Hotel, I constantly monitored the charging with my jaguar app on my smart phone. When it approached 90% we made our way back to the car to stop charging and disconnect. When I approached my car I noticed a Nissan Leaf parked at the side of my car and when I approached it I was greeted by the irate driver who pointed out how much charge I was putting in my car and accused me of HOGGING the charger. I tried to reply politely and explain why I had put this amount in the battery but he was having none of it, so I bit my tongue, unplugged the car, handed him the lead and drove away. I realise that from his point of view it looked unnecessary but what was I supposed to do. I drove back home that day with the 90% charge level to arrive home with only 9% so surely this justifies what I did. Has anyone else experienced this or was I just unlucky?

Davesjag :?:

·
Registered
141 Posts
The standard etiquette view (I believe) is that you should not charge to more than 80%, as the charging rate drops right off.

On my few longer trips, I have only gone to 80% before moving on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am a very polite, patient (most would say nice) guy who will do anything to avoid confrontation but I have to admit I find it very hard to understand some of these etiquette "rules" and people's opinions.

Surely if you are going a long way and you need to stop and you need a full charge then you need a full charge - end of!!!

If you had an ICE car and you were going on a long journey would you only fill the tank up to 80%? Of course not - you would fill it right up.

If I need to stop and charge and I need max range I charge to 100%!!!!!!

The Nissan guy would have had a piece of my mind if he had behaved like that to me - and I would have made him wait until I had 100% charge!! :mrgreen:

Reactions: markyjj and SLG275

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charging speed drops off so much above 80% that you are better off not waiting past 80% and pushing on.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Not true. The Jag maintains a decent charge rate up to 90%. On an InstaVolt I was still getting 40kw at 87%. Even if it dropped off to 30 kw approaching 90, that's as fast as some Ecotricity "50 kw" chargers give at any point in time. So by his logic, I assume mr leaf will never charge at a 150kw charger as he will be hogging it for 3 times as long as someone who can take that speed of charge? This kind of thinking is idiocy. You charge until you don't need to. Nobody can tell me what my needs are and nobody knows what my intentions are. He wasn't annoyed because you were breaking some sort of rule. He was annoyed because he's one of those snowflakes who thinks he is the most important person in the world and therefore his wishes always outweigh anyone else's needs.

Should have told him to go and buy an EV with a decent range so he wouldn't feel the need to hog a charger every few miles.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Couldn't he just have plugged into one of the other chargers? Oh wait a minute...….. Tesla Superchargers :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would have also done the same to 90% for that reason. In fact, I did so recently at an Ionity station just so I could make the next one and skipping the unreliable 50kw charger halfway en route in France (one stall, don't work half the time). Also; we are talking what, 10 minutes extra?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The only person that didn't keep charging etiquette is the rude Nissan Leaf driver. You are perfectly in your right to charge to 90% - I would not charge beyond 90% unless you are at your car and nobody is waiting.

If you were on a 50kW charger it takes approx 11 minutes to charge from 80% to 90%. What I expect is that the Nissan Leaf driver had been waiting for a while and they are not used to charge for an hour because their batteries are much smaller and just used the "90%" as an excuse to vent some frustration.

Would he also have been angry if you arrived with 15% and charged to 80% (+/- 64 minutes) as that would have taken longer than charging from 30% to 90% (+/- 60 minutes) - I guess he still would have been very angry but then didn't have something to accuse you off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I would like to make a comment about only charging to 80%. The fact that charging to 90% got me home in one, why would I want to charge to 80% and then to have to stop again to put 10% in to get me home? People are always finding it a good experience talking to other ev owners I would have liked to have had a chat with the leaf driver but it was obvious this wasn't going to happen. I think when turning up to charge his car he was a little annoyed I was already plugged in and looking at the charge level, made the wrong assumption that I was charging unnecessarily (hogging the charger).

I discussed the events in our car as we drove away and I said that if we had arrived together I would have asked if he was only charging for 10 or 15 minutes that I would have allowed him to charge first as I needed a long charge. I did apologise for inconveniencing him but this fell on deaf ears.
dwg (davesjag)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
dwg said:
I did apologise for inconveniencing him but this fell on deaf ears.
You only inconvenienced him by having an EV, and one far superior to his, no need to apologise. ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a couple of thoughts:

I presume that iPace will charge much the same rate 80%-90% if it is only connected to 50kW charger? So personally I think charging to 90% is moot.
One thing that I think could be helpful is to leave a note on dashboard for when you will return. "My car is predicting that I will have enough charge to complete my journey at 09:30" ... then if someone arrives at 08:35 they will know it is worth their while to find a different charger, and if they arrive at 09:25 they can decide to wait for 5 minutes.

If you were prepared to be interrupted for a short charge - e.g. 10 minutes - then you could leave your phone number too (I believe there are websites where you can just leave a code [or a QR bar-code maybe?] and the person can communicate with you, rather than you having to publicise your phone number)

dwg said:
why would I want to charge to 80% and then to have to stop again to put 10% in to get me home?
If there was taper, on a much faster charger, then I agree 80% limit is best

Once there are plenty of 100+kW chargers available, then the journey will be shorter to only charge up to "taper", drive "fast", and stop again to charge. The combined charge time will not exceed the saving on journey time from driving faster ... but it needs 100+kW charging to make the maths work ... and the stalls need to be available, and working, when you get there of course ... roll on improved infrastructure.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sorry Dave, but you need to stop apologising to morons like this. He had no more right over that charger than you. You were the current customer and (presumably) paying for the energy. (Even if you weren't, it's irrelevant.)

I'd have told him where to go. To me, personally, as long as the car is charging there's no foul. If your car was sat there at 100% SOC for hours on end and this was the only available charger then yes, you absolutely would deserve an earful, but that wasn't the case and you were charging your car to a specific amount for a specific reason.

Rest assured that you've done nothing wrong and I personally don't think this even breaks "etiquette".

Quite who even created said etiquette nobody knows. It seems to be an ever stricter set of rules devised by a bunch of uptight internet snowflakes.

The etiquette should be:

*Don't park on a charger if you're not charging - it's a fuel station, not a privileged parking spot.
*If your car reaches 100% whilst hooked up, move it to a regular spot. It's your responsibility to be aware of whether or not this is likely to happen during your time in said spot.
*If you have a PHEV and BEVs need to charge, get your ass outta the way!

I don't think there's ever anything inferred that I should sit like an obsessed nerd watching my battery percentage from my phone and then run out to the car the moment it touches 80%. You could even make the claim that the app wasn't working or something. How would they know whether you were able to remotely monitor it or not?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
RJUK said:
Sorry Dave, but you need to stop apologising to morons like this. He had no more right over that charger than you. You were the current customer and (presumably) paying for the energy. (Even if you weren't, it's irrelevant.)

I'd have told him where to go. To me, personally, as long as the car is charging there's no foul. If your car was sat there at 100% SOC for hours on end and this was the only available charger then yes, you absolutely would deserve an earful, but that wasn't the case and you were charging your car to a specific amount for a specific reason.

Rest assured that you've done nothing wrong and I personally don't think this even breaks "etiquette".

Quite who even created said etiquette nobody knows. It seems to be an ever stricter set of rules devised by a bunch of uptight internet snowflakes.

The etiquette should be:

*Don't park on a charger if you're not charging - it's a fuel station, not a privileged parking spot.
*If your car reaches 100% whilst hooked up, move it to a regular spot. It's your responsibility to be aware of whether or not this is likely to happen during your time in said spot.

I don't think there's ever anything inferred that I should sit like an obsessed nerd watching my battery percentage from my phone and then run out to the car the moment it touches 80%. You could even make the claim that the app wasn't working or something. How would they know whether you were able to remotely monitor it or not?
The Nissan Leaf driver UT :lol:

I don't think you did anything wrong either, you needed the charge so you charged, its not your problem that your journey required a 90% full battery, Mr Nissan Leaf driver would have probably needed a couple of charges so hogged chargers twice to do the same trip. Not worth worrying about, there are too many numpties about that think they know best. :roll:

·
Registered
365 Posts
From what I've seen Leafs charge reliably at Ecotricity so problem solved, "Ecotricity Off my good man....". He'd have probably thought you were being polite with it...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
RJUK said:

The etiquette should be:

I've said it before - when we get posts like this we need a "Like" button on the forum. I know it's lazy and detracts from conversation, but it would still be nice to have.

·
Registered
477 Posts
RJUK said:
Sorry, can't agree with this elitist view.
He's as entitled to try saving the planet by NOT burning oil as you are. You have no right to force him into unnecessary pollution.
We're all trying to do our bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently encountered a PHEV wanting to charge whilst I was plugged in, I arrived with 9% charge after a 180 mile trip. The area I was in is South Manchester where there is only 1x 50KWH (a free one also) within 10 miles of my parents.

I was at 60% when he arrived - he asked how long I was going to be and I said another 20% (I intended to granny charge overnight the remainder), I enquired how far away he lived to get home on battery and was answered with 4 miles. It was at this stage I pointed out he has an engine to get home to charge, was answered that he could get home without having to use his engine - simply wanted a free top up, I can guarantee if it was paid then he would not have used it. Based at a Lidl to entice shopping, which I also did, unlikely this gentleman does on a regular basis.

My need was greater than his and I did not have time the next day to return to charge - simple. There are no rules to charging, had I been near home, I would have simply unplugged and moved on allowing him to use it.

I have a free rapid charger 2 miles from home and only use this when necessary for a quick top up if I am low and need the range soon. Also at a Waitrose and whilst charging I do the shop whereby most of the time it is taken up by others just wanting a free top up and quite often at 100%. This makes my blood boil so I remove the charger myself and then plug in. Not sure if this is allowed, but have had no complaints.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Willster said:
I recently encountered a PHEV wanting to charge whilst I was plugged in, I arrived with 9% charge after a 180 mile trip. The area I was in is South Manchester where there is only 1x 50KWH (a free one also) within 10 miles of my parents.

I was at 60% when he arrived - he asked how long I was going to be and I said another 20% (I intended to granny charge overnight the remainder), I enquired how far away he lived to get home on battery and was answered with 4 miles. It was at this stage I pointed out he has an engine to get home to charge, was answered that he could get home without having to use his engine - simply wanted a free top up, I can guarantee if it was paid then he would not have used it. Based at a Lidl to entice shopping, which I also did, unlikely this gentleman does on a regular basis.

My need was greater than his and I did not have time the next day to return to charge - simple. There are no rules to charging, had I been near home, I would have simply unplugged and moved on allowing him to use it.

I have a free rapid charger 2 miles from home and only use this when necessary for a quick top up if I am low and need the range soon. Also at a Waitrose and whilst charging I do the shop whereby most of the time it is taken up by others just wanting a free top up and quite often at 100%. This makes my blood boil so I remove the charger myself and then plug in. Not sure if this is allowed, but have had no complaints.
You get selfish prats driving every type of vehicle, ICE, HEV, PHEV or BEV.
I naively thought when I joined an EV forum in 2015 that it would be a community of like-minded, eco-aware concerned citizens of earth.
Not a chance.
Exactly the same cross section of every character type you'd find in any other random community.
I just don't like the assumption that all drivers in one category are better or more deserving than another.
We shouldn't assume the worst motives of strangers or make prescriptive "etiquette rules" which cannot possibly account for all circumstances.
I have, once, unplugged a GTE which was attached to the only working charger but not charging, but I did leave him a note to explain that his charge had either finished or failed, so there was no point leaving him plugged in.
Luckily it was a "dumb" charge point with no cable locking otherwise I'd have had to do the return trip burning petrol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is this a thing we are all going to experience more of in the future, especially in more popular built-up areas?

The reason I pose that thought is as more and more EVs hit the road, is the rate of available charge points keeping pace? More so, are the available amount of charge points at the same location being addressed. I've seen some locations myself where there are on two chargers available, but being a popular location, placing 4 or 6 chargers, would be a better amount for that local demand.

If locations are not upgraded in terms of either available chargers or improved charging speeds, then I fear "charger rage" maybe become a thing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
aquiss said:
Is this a thing we are all going to experience more of in the future, especially in more popular built-up areas?

The reason I pose that thought is as more and more EVs hit the road, is the rate of available charge points keeping pace? More so, are the available amount of charge points at the same location being addressed. I've seen some locations myself where there are on two chargers available, but being a popular location, placing 4 or 6 chargers, would be a better amount for that local demand.

If locations are not upgraded in terms of either available chargers or improved charging speeds, then I fear "charger rage" maybe become a thing.
This may well happen at some point, I agree.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts