Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
aquiss said:
Is this a thing we are all going to experience more of in the future, especially in more popular built-up areas?

The reason I pose that thought is as more and more EVs hit the road, is the rate of available charge points keeping pace? More so, are the available amount of charge points at the same location being addressed. I've seen some locations myself where there are on two chargers available, but being a popular location, placing 4 or 6 chargers, would be a better amount for that local demand.

If locations are not upgraded in terms of either available chargers or improved charging speeds, then I fear "charger rage" maybe become a thing.
I hear people raise this as an issue and a reason not to make the move to an EV.

My response is that if people have home chargers / work chargers - then the % of EV drivers that need to charge will remain low. Why would you pay a premium for power when you could charge elsewhere for less. The number of journeys that most people make will be within the range of their vehicle.

I think that this issue is likely to be with FOC ones that people might hog / or ones that are in a good location (Shopping Centres etc).

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've just jumped provider again, 12.93 p per kWh, I only charge around 15 minutes a week on fast chargers, mainly charge at home.

·
Registered
365 Posts
aquiss said:
It appears "charge rage" has already started according to an article today on the BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-humber-49204522
Seems to me they could have simply put a maximum stay notice and EV only notice on there. You'd have thought they could have got a traffic warden to check now and then. Oh, and the key thing, charge for the electricity and at a rate a little above Domestic to stop the freeloaders. 3 hours would seem fair, 2 hours workable even for an iPace (14% should get you to a Rapid or at least another Fast).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you again for your comments and also I would like you all to know that I was paying for charging .
dwg (davesjag)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I do most of my charging at home but on some longer trips normally plan a top up charge at a holiday inn using polar. I've been lucky so far that every time I've planned to charge the units are available when I arrive. Just once have I had someone arrive after I started to charge. The driver was in a Nissan Leaf and he was more interested in looking around my car and asking questions than trying to move me on. I did offer to leave when the car reached 80% but he was happy and in no hurry. I personally don't see the point in much beyond 90%.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Baikar said:
I do most of my charging at home but on some longer trips normally plan a top up charge at a holiday inn using polar. I've been lucky so far that every time I've planned to charge the units are available when I arrive. Just once have I had someone arrive after I started to charge. The driver was in a Nissan Leaf and he was more interested in looking around my car and asking questions than trying to move me on. I did offer to leave when the car reached 80% but he was happy and in no hurry. I personally don't see the point in much beyond 90%.
Really depends on the circumstances. For example in Scotland that 10% could be the difference between reaching a charger that works with your ipace and having to call Jaguar assist.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Interesting developments in solar panel technology in the US. With this level of efficiency an I Pace solar roof could provide about 1kWh in bright conditions, so 10kWh per day in summer could be achievable. In warmer countries it could even mean no cable charging at all for some drivers. https://news.rice.edu/2019/07/12/rice-device-channels-heat-into-light/

UK charging is in its infancy and once the new clutch of EVs enter the market over the next couple of years the single charger locations will become war zones. Recently at Colchester Holiday Inn Express I arrived to find a Tesla X 100D charging. I joined the queue then a Leaf turned up with a family of four. Their frustration was evident as they were a long way from home and had failed to access another charger. They were desperate and the Mrs was obviously about to vent. They left before the Tesla driver turned up and disconnected at only 50% charge. He was very polite and considerate, only taking what he needed to get to a Tesla charging station. Had they still been there I would have let the Leaf go first, but where does it end? What if another desperate small battery car had turned up, would I have waited for them too? I could not have done so, but it is an indication that the demand for chargers, especially in poorly served areas, is about to become a big problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been 4 times recently to Rugby services at peak usage and have noticed a trend that more owners seem to be leaving their cars to charge to 100% on the rapids. My understanding is that this is not good for battery life but it also causes a queue, especially when the cars have actually completed their charge and they are left to block the bay. I also saw a couple of cars doing the 100% charge at Leeds even though there were 3 other cars waiting to use the chargers.

Should the price per kWh increase once a car exceeds 80% charge?

Should there be a flat overstay fee of £10 once a car hits 100% and the charger shows a green light, ie available, to deter those that can’t be bothered to check on their car?

It has been pretty busy each time I have used Rugby prior to Xmas then again yesterday, but at least yesterday they were down to only 1 non working charger.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have been 4 times recently to Rugby services at peak usage and have noticed a trend that more owners seem to be leaving their cars to charge to 100% on the rapids. My understanding is that this is not good for battery life but it also causes a queue, especially when the cars have actually completed their charge and they are left to block the bay. I also saw a couple of cars doing the 100% charge at Leeds even though there were 3 other cars waiting to use the chargers.

Should the price per kWh increase once a car exceeds 80% charge?

Should there be a flat overstay fee of £10 once a car hits 100% and the charger shows a green light, ie available, to deter those that can’t be bothered to check on their car?

It has been pretty busy each time I have used Rugby prior to Xmas then again yesterday, but at least yesterday they were down to only 1 non working charger.
Best way is to start charging per minute after 45 min charging as some operators doing here. Another one is charge per minute after your car hit 80%.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I recently had to do what was for us a fairly long journey from Cornwall up to Nottingham. I planned my route and had a number of planned charging stops, with alternative chargers within easy reach so as to cover all eventualities.

I had seen this thread a few days before our journey, so was dreading getting into any sort of alteration with other drivers.

We stopped off at the Donington Park "services" on the M42, basically just to top up as I didn't really want to be charging whilst we were in Nottingham.

We were just about to start a charge when another car pulled up. The driver mentioned that he was trying to get to London and had only got about 10% charge left. As we were nearly at our destination, I couldn't find it in me to charge first, so I said to him that we were quite happy to go and have a cup of tea whilst he charged his car, but before he left would he come and get us so we didn't lose our spot in the queue. 40 minutes later a very happy Volvo owner came and thanked us for our thoughtful kindness. We swopped the cars over and he went on his way.

I thought that this is how charging etiquette should be done. It was no problem for us, but obviously a lengthy wait for him wouldn't have been very nice. Hopefully one day he will "pay this on" and be kind to someone else.

On the way back we charged at Gloucester Services on the M5, and again at Exeter which gave us plenty of gas to get back to Cornwall without having to worry about speed and estimated arrival SOC.

I'd forgotten just how comfortable the I-Pace is for long journeys.

Kind regards,
Nigel

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently had to do what was for us a fairly long journey from Cornwall up to Nottingham. I planned my route and had a number of planned charging stops, with alternative chargers within easy reach so as to cover all eventualities.

I had seen this thread a few days before our journey, so was dreading getting into any sort of alteration with other drivers.

We stopped off at the Donington Park "services" on the M42, basically just to top up as I didn't really want to be charging whilst we were in Nottingham.

We were just about to start a charge when another car pulled up. The driver mentioned that he was trying to get to London and had only got about 10% charge left. As we were nearly at our destination, I couldn't find it in me to charge first, so I said to him that we were quite happy to go and have a cup of tea whilst he charged his car, but before he left would he come and get us so we didn't lose our spot in the queue. 40 minutes later a very happy Volvo owner came and thanked us for our thoughtful kindness. We swopped the cars over and he went on his way.

I thought that this is how charging etiquette should be done. It was no problem for us, but obviously a lengthy wait for him wouldn't have been very nice. Hopefully one day he will "pay this on" and be kind to someone else.

On the way back we charged at Gloucester Services on the M5, and again at Exeter which gave us plenty of gas to get back to Cornwall without having to worry about speed and estimated arrival SOC.

I'd forgotten just how comfortable the I-Pace is for long journeys.

Kind regards,
Nigel
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I quite often have stopped charging because I realised someone else just needs a little to get home and I was in for the long haul! It's a matter of respect and understanding. I will only charge what I need. A couple of times I have asked people because I had to get home to pick up my children if I could give the car a quick 20 mins and people have always been kind. I fear now everyone is getting an EV it may not be the same, especially as most chargers don't work and so it will be a battle! I have learnt to make sure I have a charger just for me at either end of my journey and not rely on anyone else. I don't know whether anyone else is the same but my iPace needs to have at least 25 miles above what the car says it will do. So if its 32 miles to home and i'm on 17 miles, I will charge till it says at least 55 miles. I have been caught out too many times not adhering to this!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think the idea of being flexible to move if someone has a greater need (often I need to charge on the move simply to have a more fun and faster ride home) but many of us tend to hook up to a charger and then go and do something else rather than sit in the car whilst it charges. This feels totally legitimate to me especially if parking charges also need to be paid.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts