Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning our first long journey from Lancashire to Crantock Cornwall in November. I have kind of sorted charging points from home to Bristol but would appreciate any suggestions of reliable charging points whilst driving around Cornwall. Any experience \ advice to get around and then be ready for drive home would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
2Badgers said:
We are planning our first long journey from Lancashire to Crantock Cornwall in November. I have kind of sorted charging points from home to Bristol but would appreciate any suggestions of reliable charging points whilst driving around Cornwall. Any experience \ advice to get around and then be ready for drive home would be very much appreciated.
Bought mine in Cornwall and drove back to Lancashire but had no need to drive around much in Cornwall. Do you have access to any charging at your destination?

On the way back a top up at Exeter and again nr Brum should do the trick

·
Registered
640 Posts
You need to check on Zap-Map there is a reasonable selection around Plymouth, in Cornwall it's rather thin provision, rapid chargers at St Austell and Truro amongst others most are Geniepoint so you need their App or RFID card.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Geniepoint app takes money from the bank account that you have registered with them (it's a sort of rolling, 10quid a time, Direct Debit). If your bank account has a Debit Card then register that card with Geniepoint and everything can be initiated by tapping the card.

Despite what it says on the charger, it is best to start the charge before plugging the cable into the car. The Geniepoint chargers seem to be very sensitive to electrical switching such as opening and closing doors.

There's a good selection of 50kW and 100kW chargers just off-motorway at Cribbs Causeway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 x Shell Recharge 175 kW units at Kingsley Village, also Shell 50 kW chargers at Carland Cross, both near Crantock. Excellent success at Kingsley Village during holiday
to Crantock earlier this year.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Recently used the new chargers at Exeter Services on M5 (J30). They have 4 new Gridserve units which are much better than the old Ecotricity ones. As a backup, Ikea is only a mile down the road and they also have a couple of chargers.

We used to go up to Cheshire from Cornwall and back again regularly and found the Services at Gloucester (between J12 and 11a) to be particularly good. There is also a large field where dogs can go off-lead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for your replies, we will be sure to call on them during our stay. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would agree chargers are thin on ground in some parts of Cornwall. We are here at moment in padstow area.
Jamaica Inn worked as did shell recharge at Kingsley village services. However, although shell advertised as 150kwh, it only charged at 38kwh and then dropped to 22kwh after about 45 mins. I had a similar experience at an eon charger near Preston, also advertised as 150kwh. Anyone had similar experiences.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It is a lottery just because it says 150 kw does not mean it will deliver, some posts have suggested switching the emergency flashers on fools the system. I've not needed to try that because I only use enroute chargers as a top up to get home, if I'm away overnight I make sure there is a destination charger closeby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts