Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately looks like I have another issue. My car does not like charging! It was tripping out the fuse on the charge point, then it has started tripping out the main RCD.

At first I thought it was my charge point. Engineers have been out and found no fault l. Tried a different charge cable and it still trips out.

The outlander phev charged without issue.

Just connected up using the 13amp charger only for that to trip the main RCD too.

The car is going in on Thursday to Jaguar for the suspension issue so looks like it will be spending a bit more time their 馃槓

Registered
I have the same issue.
I have just borrowed an iPace First Edition for a 2 day test drive and decided I would top up the battery using the 13A Power Supply plugged into my domestic ring main. As soon as I plugged it in the RCD tripped.
I thought this might be due to earth leakage from an appliance that can cause this type of issue so I isolated the Dishwasher, Fridge, Freezer, Tumble Dryer, Washing machine and Kettle and the RCD did not trip. So I then connected everything back again except the Dishwasher and it was still ok but as soon as I connected the Dishwasher by turning on the switch at the fused spur, the RCD tripped. So I isolated the dishwasher again and got the car charging but after 30 minutes with the dishwasher isolated the RCD tripped.
This seems to suggest that there is a very small current flowing in the earth circuit not enough to trip the RCD but when the additional load of the charger (2.4kW) is switched on that 's enough to increase the current to be above the 30mA threshold of the RCD.

Anyway it probably will not be an issue as my impression of the car is not good so I'm not going ahead with it and will probably return the car early. The idea was to replace my Porsche Macan GTS but the iPace falls short in many areas:
- Rear visibility is not as good
- Door mirrors are much smaller
- The 360 degree camera is completely useless compared to the same system in my Macan, the screen resolution at night is terrible and the image is just far too small even zooming does not help
- Parking Sensors and Auto enable of the camera are not as effective as the Macan
- The ride is not so good (My Macan has air suspension too) and the handling just does not come anywhere near that of the Macan
- Having 100% torque from rest is a novelty but it seems to run out once you are up to motorway speeds so on a German Autobahn (which I do drive occasionally) it's not going to work as well as the Porsche.

A real shame as I had high hopes and wanted it to work but Jaguar just is not as good as Porsche, the Macan sets a very high bar so I'm going to wait for the electric Macan due in 2021/22.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car returned Friday having had several software upgrades. Unrated the fuse to the charger to the type b recommended and the car is still tripping out my electrics.

The car charges fine on public points and at the dealership but they can take the current.

Will have to get my electrics checked at home

Registered
I am having the same charging issue with tripping the mains on earth fault. I does not happen all the time but appears to occur when the charging switches off. It occurs on a 7kW connection and a 13A plug. The dealer had it back for a week, but it has occurred again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isolated the charging issue. My consumer board can not take the load of the car charging with other appliances on. Currently sat in a cold house whilst I charge the car, as the electrics for our gas boiler tip the load crazy!🥶

Registered
Although not a good idea to reduce the electrical protection (it is always better to get to the root cause and resolve that), there are RCDs available that have a higher earth fault leakage threshold (100mA vs the standard 30mA): https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-80a-100ma-dp-type-ac-rcd/5948P?tc=NT1&ds_kid=92700038625433734&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2efSkuDd3gIVyrHtCh2gIgJHEAQYASABEgLOgPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Best practice would be to engage the services of an electrician to investigate and resolve the issue.

Registered
Those having problems with the power tripping, can I ask:
1) how much supply do you have to your house, 60, 80 or 100 AMP
2) is your home charger on a separate consumer board, which I was told you must have to avoid tripping other household appliances etc.
I am no expert, and know nothing about power supply etc, only what I've been told when talking to the people I'm getting my homecharger from, which goes in tomorrow. Still not got a car, but that's another story.

Registered
I have a 100A supply with a 30mA RCD. The 7kW Chargemaster point is fed from its separate 32A MCB. The tripping problem I am having is an earth fault tripping the main RCD when the i Pace switches off or on, but it does not happen on every occasion. It seems clear to me that there is a fault with the on board charger. My dealer is unable to replicate the fault at their garage, but they probably do not have a 30mA trip. This has been now been going on for 5 weeks and I am now trying to get Jaguar customer services to inject some impetus into resolving the problem.

Registered
Our twin 7kW charger at work trips regularly. It did it as I unplugged the I-Pace the other evening. However, it happened regularly with my now departed BMW X5 40e, and it still happens with my wife's 330e.

The electricians who installed it say it is fine and blamed my wife's car. Fortunately it is not long for this earth. We are having our car park resurfaced next year and as part of this will be having Pod Point install a whole new multi point system for us.

In the meantime, I've got resetting the RCD myself down to a fine art!

Just to be clear... it is the charger's own internal RCDs that trip. Two identical circuits both with their own RCD.

Just one thing... a Nissan Leaf 2 we have hasn't tripped it yet.

Registered
If your main RCD trips you may find that one of your existing circuits has a constant earth leakage but not enough to trigger the trip on its own. The surge when the Jag starts charging may tip it over the edge.

I had similar issues in the past, and had RCBO's installed on all my circuits so each one would trip individually. I had no problems after this.

I suggest isolating each main house circuit in turn and seeing if the Jag still trips the main switch or not.

Registered
Apparently some EV are tripping mains supply RCDs on earth fault. Mine was OK with a BMW i3 but trips with the iPace. I have now had my Consumer board replaced using RCBOs. I hope this will cure my issues.

Registered
All is well after having a new Consumer Unit fitted. Please note that the UK Building Regs require EV charging circuits to be fed from their own RCD or RCBO. If you have a new charging circuit fitted then please ensure you are given a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate - it is a legal requirement.

Registered
Car won't be here until next March but have arranged for a Zappi to be installed next week by EcoPlugg. One of thier guys came out to take a look and said while we could probably utilise the spare 32amp circuit on my existing consumer board it would be better to have a separate smaller 4way board tailed directly off the mains. Went for that option firstly because if I do have any tripping issues it will only take out the car charging . Also gives spare capacity if we want another charger in future at the front if the house in a few years.

Been very nice people to deal with and the guy that came out was very knowlwedgable and enthusiastic about EV's, Solar etc.

https://www.ecoplugg.co.uk

G

When I had my charger installed about 5 yrs ago people were having the same problems with RCD's tripping and the recommended installation was a separate supply through a special RCCB from Doepke which can handle the DC component that is introduced from the switching of the AC/DC onboard charger. Not sure if the chargers have changed significantly in their design since then but normal distribution board RCD's couldn't handle this component and invariably trip.

Registered
DaveR said:
Car won't be here until next March but have arranged for a Zappi to be installed next week by EcoPlugg. One of thier guys came out to take a look and said while we could probably utilise the spare 32amp circuit on my existing consumer board it would be better to have a separate smaller 4way board tailed directly off the mains. Went for that option firstly because if I do have any tripping issues it will only take out the car charging . Also gives spare capacity if we want another charger in future at the front if the house in a few years.

Been very nice people to deal with and the guy that came out was very knowlwedgable and enthusiastic about EV's, Solar etc.

https://www.ecoplugg.co.uk
Dave, do you have solar or wind power to take advantage of the many Zappi features ? Considering one myself but I don't have either of the above.

Registered
Hi ChrisMC.

No I don't have any solar or wind. May look at solar at some stage but not in the immediate future.

Went Zappi because of its ability to sense the house load and reduce the charge current along with other timing features should I chnage my energy tariff. My charger is going to be remote from the house and Zappi supports having remote 'wireless' CT clamps that measure the grid consumption and transmit it to the Zappi. Also due out is a remote control app. Any enquiries I made to the company producing the zappi were responded to very quickly which gave me confidence that any issues I might encounter once in use would be handled promptly.

And of course it's manufacturef here in the UK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts