Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an option for which side to have the charging port in the UK?

Want to set up the charging equipment in the garage, but having the port on the left will leave it inaccessible for plugging in when parked .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a double garage so have to park on the left hand side (if I parked in the right side I couldn't get out as the door unless I jumped over to he passenger seat). Once its parked up the only way to reach a passenger side charging port would be to straddle the bonnet. Surely this is a common scenario and that Jaguar would offer a driver side charging port to address this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ASM35 said:
I have a double garage so have to park on the left hand side (if I parked in the right side I couldn't get out as the door unless I jumped over to he passenger seat). Once its parked up the only way to reach a passenger side charging port would be to straddle the bonnet. Surely this is a common scenario and that Jaguar would offer a driver side charging port to address this.
no manufacturer that I know of offers this as an option, either for petrol caps or electric charging caps, so what makes you think it's either possible or easy ?

Audi designed the eTron with a charging port on both sides, but all the cars are built that way so there is no "option". It's quite a good idea.

But designing in a feature from the beginning is completely different to "offering it"; maybe you've already thought about the cost of redesigning and remanufacturing all those body panels, new covers, new internal wiring looms, certification etc etc ?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have a 10 metre cable in my double garage.
No problem at all to charge the Opel Ampera-e even if the cable must lie around the Jag.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I understand the Audi etron has an option to have an extra one on the right side but has one on the left as standard. Jag has one on the left with no option for the right

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
oop north said:
I understand the Audi etron has an option to have an extra one on the right side but has one on the left as standard. Jag has one on the left with no option for the right
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the two charging ports are standard on the E-Tron (both the SUV and the GT).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Goshdarnit said:
oop north said:
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the two charging ports are standard on the E-Tron (both the SUV and the GT).
The E-Tron I saw in a showroom had CCS/Type 2 on the left side and Type-2 on the right side.

·
Registered
528 Posts
MjrPayne said:
Goshdarnit said:
oop north said:
The E-Tron I saw in a showroom had CCS/Type 2 on the left side and Type-2 on the right side.
Correct - I think their logic is to have Type 2 on both sides to accommodate the "on street parking" situations when using Type 2.
For CCS charging bays there is no need to have such a feature.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Billy Bunter said:
Correct - I think their logic is to have Type 2 on both sides to accommodate the "on street parking" situations when using Type 2.
For CCS charging bays there is no need to have such a feature.
Yeah that is much better - the charger port place in the I-pace is really not convenient. To use some chargers I need to park in a unconventional way as most DC chargers cables are relative short. Both sides or charge port in front/back would make live better.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had a Pod Point charger with a fixed cable fitted in my double garage and I have made a hole in the wall so that I can pass the plug through it and use it outside but I have found that the cable is really too short to use outside the garage unless I take great care to get the car in the right position. The car has not arrived yet so I'm not faced with an immediate problem and I have been considering what to do.

Having the cable swapped for a longer one would cost more than having an additional charger fitted :shock:

So I searched to see if it was possible to buy an extension lead and it turns out that you can get them for between about £150 and £200 depending on the supplier and the length. You can get 3m, 5m, 7.5m, 10m ... even as much as 20m

You do have to be careful that the cable has been designed for this particular use otherwise the pins transmitting the signals are not long enough to make contact.

I imagine that if you carry the extension cable with you, you could access a public charger that is ICED up :lol:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Yeah that is much better - the charger port place in the I-pace is really not convenient. To use some chargers I need to park in a unconventional way as most DC chargers cables are relative short. Both sides or charge port in front/back would make live better.
My situation is the reverse to yours. My Home Charger is on the wrong side for my Outlander unless I reverse into my drive but perfectly positioned for my I-Pace (when it arrives that is).
The 5m Charging lead that I bought does allow me to charge the Outlander but the cable has to run over the roof as the CP is close to the front nearside wheel and the Connector is on the rear offside wheel.

You can't win them all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Revisiting this thread.

Unfortunately the issue of not being able to charge my car in the garage has let me to declining the i-pace.

To those talking about lengths of cable - this is not the issue. A cable a million miles long will not solve the problem.

The issue is, i will not be able to reach the charging port when the car is parked in the garage as it will be close to the wall with no gap at the from to get to it. Unless i build some contraption to allow me to hover over the bonnet!

I'm sure this problem will become apparent to all those who have a double garage with two separate doors. Park on the left, can't reach port. Park on the right, can't get out the door!

How Jaguar have not considered this in the design is baffling. Hopefully a future JLR model will have a port on the right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tophe74 said:
And what about parking the car in other side ? If u can go out of the car u can charge it , it's same side.
C'est pas possible, monsieur. Remember our driver's side is on the right so won't be able to get out of the door due to being right up to a wall. And jumping over to the passenger side to get out is virtually impossible, the central console is massive.

Out of interest, are the charging ports on the (left hand) driver's side on the continent?

·
Registered
325 Posts
ASM35 said:
Tophe74 said:
And what about parking the car in other side ? If u can go out of the car u can charge it , it's same side.
C'est pas possible, monsieur. Remember our driver's side is on the right so won't be able to get out of the door due to being right up to a wall. And jumping over to the passenger side to get out is virtually impossible, the central console is massive.

Out of interest, are the charging ports on the (left hand) driver's side on the continent?
Yes, charge port is at the driver's side in NL, fortunately...

·
Registered
153 Posts
ASM35 said:
Tophe74 said:
How about reversing in to the garage? Could you reach the port from the front of the car?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.