Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
G

·
mitrovic said:
Anyone an idea why they start with 1 Phase AC charging?
Because unless you own a mansion I doubt you have 3 Phase in the a house!

The general idea behind all electric cars at the moment is you use a 32A supply at home. At 220-240 That's around 7KW.

Then you use the DC fast chargers for quick pit stops on long journey's.

Therefore why spend cost on a car for tech that isn't being used much atm ?

Only places that will have 3-Phase are large buildings, factory's, hotels, etc... but they can supply a Rapid DC charger instead anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
A few months ago I had to upgrade the power supply to my house to 3 phase and so I made sure that the meter and distribution board was fitted in the garage ready for my electric car. Does anyone know how much chargers are and if I will have to pay much more for one that can use my 3 phase supply?

G

·
Thincat said:
A few months ago I had to upgrade the power supply to my house to 3 phase and so I made sure that the meter and distribution board was fitted in the garage ready for my electric car. Does anyone know how much chargers are and if I will have to pay much more for one that can use my 3 phase supply?
Firstly ... you must have one hell of a large house!

Seasonally, a 7kW 32A Single Phase charger is £200-400, but no idea on a 3 Phase. Technically you could have a 12kW DC supply but no idea where you would buy one ... you could even get up to a 25kW ... however would depend a lot on the Total Supply Amps you have.

G

·
mitrovic said:
And now I read it is not 7kW, it is only 4.7 kW!
Link ? As 4.7kw would probably be USA on a standard plug as they are 110v and 42A.

That's a problem with the USA not EU/UK.

G

·
Ok time for a little electrical lesson for beginners :-

In essence Kw = Volts x Amps

If you are at home in a standard UK/EU house, then your supplied Volt's will be 220-240v per phase. In the US it's 110v.

Ok, now a typical house distribution board that's single phase in the UK/EU will only allow you to fit a max 32A fuse. In the US people tend to have 42A socket in a garage, etc.. for washing machines / dryers / etc.... that they use for EV's.

So in the EU/UK with a dedicated charger it's 220 x 32 = 7040w (or 7.04Kw)

However, you CAN plug into a standard wall socket. In the UK this is limited to 13A, so that's 13A x 220 = 3kw (ish)

In Germany I believe the supply is 220-230v ... therefore I have no idea why they say 4.6kw in the literature ... maybe a mistake ... or in the EU you can do 20A from a standard house socket, which would mean 230v x 20A = 4.6kw.

Therefore this is my guess, that in Germany you can do 20A from a house wall socket. However if you get a dedicated charger fitted you can fit a 7kw at home.

https://pod-point.com/products/homecharge

In the US this is 110v x 42 = 4620w (or 4.62Kw) - this is why it's better to try and get solo panels installed and use the power from this - you will only be restricted by the battery output, or try and get a 3 Phase supply and your own transformer.

-----

The car has 2 options to charge ... directly DC into the batteries. Or Via on the on-board AC to DC Transformer, which is can only take single phase atm. However this would not stop you having 3-Phase at home, buying an AC to DC transformer, then connecting that to a DC connector, where you could get 25Kw.

Saying all this though, Telsa, Nissan, and Chevrolet, all stay that slow home chargers are better for the battery in the long run, this is why a rapid charge slows greatly down after 80% full.

----

Just for people who really want to know .... 3 Phase 400v x 125A = 50kw Chargers, and 100kw is just a 250A supply. I have no idea what a 150kw uses, but on maths I'd guess they would be using a 350-400A breaker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My brochure says you can charge AC with 7 kW, but at home it will be only 4.6 kW.

The maths: In Switzerland you have at home mostly: 240 V and 16 A 3 phases. Sometimes you have a little bit more A.
So, as the I-Pace has only a 1 phase charger it is at home 3.8 kW. Same as my Tesla Roadster

·
Registered
243 Posts
mitrovic said:
My brochure says you can charge AC with 7 kW, but at home it will be only 4.6 kW.
Clearly there will be per-country variations and constraints, according to the different electrical systems & regulations.

But, as Gdank explains, in the UK it's possible to have 7kW AC charging at home, with a suitable charging point installed.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.