Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure:
I was a JLR sales guide/mgr 06-13' in Milwaukee, WI. (But born in Sheffield!) Pretending Tata isn't a thing, I do love JLR.
(Sold Lexus 4yrs, churned out 30 a month... but they started badly sucking after their Hybrid RX, and lost their way in every way)

I loved my Jaguar Land Rover job: unique start to finish process of selling, big profit margins, and a unique to car industry- dealership mini off-road course, and full-day off-road owner events.. (Which all evaporated and they switched to quantitative sell, no owner events, and pittance pay)

Of relevance here... I Have had: 03' XJR, 15' XF Sport, 16 F Pace, and now 19' I-Pace.

(Also had 06' RR, 08' RR Sport, 2 Evoques, A Velar, now a Certified RR Supercharged.)

So.... Christmas Day 2020, set off to pick up Mum 170 miles RT.
Fully charged 19' I Pace. 50 degrees F in garage, 40 F outside: Range 220.

85 miles later, at destination, approx 110 mile range left, all good! #YayJagElectric

We depart 2 hours later... outside temp dropped to 20 F. No plug or precondition... but Range plenty good... we start return leg... 50 miles later (on ECO, at 70mph hwy) range now 20: 40 miles left to go. Bad math.
Didn't want to scare mum (I was concerned?) so phone app showed Stage 2 charger just off hwy at a hotel. Figured grab a snack.. get 10-20 miles in 45 minutes... still two hours to Xmas Dinner.

Hour later, Range 25 (5mi in an hr?) 40 miles to go. Turned Every.Thing off. Limped out... 15 miles later, Range 9. Screwed.

Dinner in an hour, 30 minute drive left... parked at gas station (irony) and called Jag Roadside.
Requested merely to be flat-bedded to house, to recharge in garage.
Granted it is Xmas Day, but being badly de-ranged ;( by I-Pace sucked.

Not to worry; Jaguar Roadside Assistance came through...
FOUR EFFING HOURS LATER!
The Jag that stole Christmas.
Boxing Day Dinner. Ouch.
Never been so let down by a new vehicle... crappy 3rd party, outsourced US JLR Roadside... given Range Anxiety by their most innovative model that wasn't even broken down!

Besides the 'Waaaah' I just want to hear from fellow I-Pace owners with this point:

Granted we suffer no charging stations US... (My old cheap-ass dealership only installed a Stage 2!!!) leaving it to us, post-$77,990 sale owners to figure out the home station install...got one straight faced quote of $3,000 to install the Stage 2 (in an attached-garage, 240V service available) socket!!!! Then $650.

Sorry. Off-topic... but here finally is my point/ ask for thoughts:
"Why doesn't JLR make a dealer-installed option, that instead of the useless Frunk, that they offer owners a space-conforming, Range-Extending, Pro- Xmas auxiliary battery (like the ones you can buy for your phone... We know it can be done, right?) that can be topped off during Precondition, that offers 25-50 miles extra range, and/or boosts generic Stage 2 charge times from hours to Not Hours... to keep you going to where you are safe/ near a Stage 3 station, and/or have the Peace of Mind that there is a sensible, after-sale auxilliary back-up, should the IPace Range take a dump for whatever reason?
(And precludes these stories)
Thx,
J

·
Registered
71 Posts
Long trips in am EV requires advance planning.
1. Precondition the car and battery at home before you start the journey. The car has to be plugged in to the charger overnight (well in advance of the journey) to ensure 100%. charge at departure and the cabin and battery are preconditioned for max range.
2. Plan a rest stop every 175 miles, preferably at 125 KW charger to top up your charge. Plug in and charge for 20-30 min while you refresh yourself.
This has worked very well for me on long drives.
You will arrive fresh as a daisy ready to devour the turkey!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry. Off-topic... but here finally is my point/ ask for thoughts:
"Why doesn't JLR make a dealer-installed option, that instead of the useless Frunk, that they offer owners a space-conforming, Range-Extending, Pro- Xmas auxiliary battery (like the ones you can buy for your phone... We know it can be done, right?) that can be topped off during Precondition, that offers 25-50 miles extra range, and/or boosts generic Stage 2 charge times from hours to Not Hours... to keep you going to where you are safe/ near a Stage 3 station, and/or have the Peace of Mind that there is a sensible, after-sale auxilliary back-up, should the IPace Range take a dump for whatever reason?
(And precludes these stories)
Thx,
J
I agree! I know the 'easy' answer is that it would be too heavy to lift but who says it has to be a lithium battery? There are at least two lighter alternatives - neither of which would require long charging times: Firstly supercapacitors (which charge in seconds) and secondly Aluminum air batteries (which are not recharged).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree! I know the 'easy' answer is that it would be too heavy to lift but who says it has to be a lithium battery? There are at least two lighter alternatives - neither of which would require long charging times: Firstly supercapacitors (which charge in seconds) and secondly Aluminum air batteries (which are not recharged).
The easy answer is that SOME owners would figure in the extra range and still come up short due to lack of planning or lack of understanding of the features dictating the expected range. For some EV owners the lack of 150kW chargers at every gas station is unacceptable - eventhough the economics of such would be stupid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going back to the original scenario - 85 miles to go with 110 miles available would be too little margin of safety for me given the cold weather. I would have stopped close to destination for 20-30 minutes at a 50KWh charger, to ensure I made it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts