Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The illustration in the owners manual for jump lead connection to the 12V battery negative terminal is not very clear. Which is the correct point to attach
the negative boost lead if attempting to jump start the I-Pace, area 1 or area 2?

Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
87 Posts
You do not jump start an I-pace. Was you thinking charging the battery or get it working. I case it do not matter whether you use 1 or 2, if you are able to open the hood.. I prefer to connect the negative cable to the car body to prevent any sparks close to the battery, but not sure about I-pace...never tested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do not jump start an I-pace. Was you thinking charging the battery or get it working. I case it do not matter whether you use 1 or 2, if you are able to open the hood.. I prefer to connect the negative cable to the car body to prevent any sparks close to the battery, but not sure about I-pace...never tested.
I do need to jump start, as I have a faulty 12V system and I am waiting for a replacement 12V charger module. I have successfully jump started on three occasions, but am wondering whether I am connecting the booster battery negative lead to the correct point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You might have two batteries like I have - a big one that is shown on you picture, and a smaller one the left side seen from the driver position. They are not connected as far as I know. On later cars there is only one... Mine is from June 2019.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I do need to jump start, as I have a faulty 12V system and I am waiting for a replacement 12V charger module. I have successfully jump started on three occasions, but am wondering whether I am connecting the booster battery negative lead to the correct point.
The resistance between 1 and 2 is so low that it should not matter where you connect it. If you are in doubt connect to 1 as the booster then will mimic a working battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you connect a 12V booster to the car's starter battery, connect the negative lead to '2' above or other body ground point. Using 2 allows the BMS (battery monitoring system) know about the voltage going in. Connecting to 1 bypasses the BMS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you connect a 12V booster to the car's starter battery, connect the negative lead to '2' above or other body ground point. Using 2 allows the BMS (battery monitoring system) know about the voltage going in. Connecting to 1 bypasses the BMS.
Thank you Ayepace. I have been connecting to 2, would there be any problem if connecting to 1?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts