Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, having spent a week and a bit in Cornwall, I feel a bit compelled to write this short update/rant on Newquay and local area.

Being somewhat impressed by the charging facilities at Exeter, as I approached Newquay I thought I would pull up at Newquay airport which have a GeniePoint CCS charger for a minor top up. However, it became fairly obvious that the charge station was out of order given that the screen was barely readable with a somewhat stark message stating "CONFIGURATION REQUIRED". As this was the first point of call and still having around 55-60% charge I was not overly fussed as ZapMap gave some assurance there were a few more EV chargers in the area.

Next day, did some touristy type of stuff and then pulled into the town centre car park which had a GeniePoint charger - pulled out the CCS charger and lo and behold the end was completely smashed. There was a 42kw AC adapter which I did try but this struggled to get above 25 miles per hour and to make matters worse you are "fined" £10 if you charge for more than an hour and then fined another £10 for each hour you stay. Not relishing the thought of paying 46p per KW and £10 per hour I decided to take a closer look at zapmap as there was little on device status other than being green. The device comments told a completely different story with lots of people complaining that most of the GeniePoint chargers have been out of service for weeks with very little being done about it. There is a "BP Pulse" EV charger at a 5 star hotel but on arrival there was a somewhat unbelievable sign stating that the device had been out of order for a number of months and BP are refusing to respond to the hotel's request for a repair which the hotel profusely apologies for. Situation was getting pretty dire at this point with around 15% charge left.

So.. decided to head back out to Cornwall services and much to my dismay the entire EV Charging point area was fenced off, I then spotted a single EV CCS charger (50kw) further up the car park and decided to give it a go. Some lady pulled up and when I relayed some of the story she nodded symphanteically and said unless you have your own EV charger (i.e. you live around here or you have accomodation with it's own charger) then you are pretty much stuffed. She then also mentioned that the new EV chargers (ecocity replacements) were meant to be up and running in time for the summer holidays but they've been delayed and to ease the pain the somewhat temperamental (her words) CCS charger standing in front of me was free to use albeit limited to 50 minutes at a time. So two days later managed to get myself to around 55% charge.

Newquay wise - nearly all fast chargers are GeniePoint and every single one is faulty. To get any semblance of charge you need to get out of Newquay to one of the Shell Recharge stations and that is your best bet for a charge but 1) you may have to queue (I did for an hour the second time) and 2) One of the parking bays was ICED by (quite unbelievably) one of the Shell staff! Took a photo and left it on ZapMap - seems I'm not the only person who has had the same argument with the staff member judging by the zapmap comments.

Things I've learned:

• Cornwall Services has one operational 50kw EV Charger at time of writing but it's free albeit limited to 50 mins per session.
  • Shell Recharge stations are your saviours. They have limited Charge Points with 1 at one garage, and 2 at another.
  • At least one Shell staff member is a complete idiot.
  • Forget about having a plan A and B. You need a plan A,B,C and D when in Newquay.

The situation in Newquay around EV Chargers is similar to Newquay itself in my opinion; a lack of investment, a lack of accountability by the local authority and the entire place feels a bit run down. You can only survive so long on past 1980's glories claiming it is part of the charm when in fact it just downright laziness of the local council in many different matters including not holding EV charging providers to account which IMO actually begun to dampen the Cornwall holiday experience.

So there you go, apologies if you are from the area but felt quite annoyed about the entire situation felt the need to warn others.

Reactions: AB-UK and paul_h

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There are 2 fairly ok chargers at Mitchell (Shell) and Scorrier (Geniepoint as I recall)

It is a pain in the arse though charging in Cornwall as a visitor

Reactions: razor777

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's 30 minutes away but there are 2x120 kw Instavolt fast chargers at "Padstow Petrol Station" near the Park & Ride.
These are the most unreliable instavolt chargers I have ever encountered. They seem a different design to the normal Tritium chargers and more like the old ecotricity motorway ones. I could not get my unit to charge the guy in the second bay had his start after 30 mins on the phone to instavolt.

·
Registered
MY20, HSE + Air suspension, Firenze Red
69 Posts
These are the most unreliable instavolt chargers I have ever encountered. They seem a different design to the normal Tritium chargers and more like the old ecotricity motorway ones. I could not get my unit to charge the guy in the second bay had his start after 30 mins on the phone to instavolt.
No problems when I used them about a month ago.

.r

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Was awful in early July, only fair to point that out x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts