Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in one of the videos that there was an option for 'creep mode' as well as a choice for high or low regen.

What do people think about 'one pedal' driving vs traditional automatic 'creep mode'?

Personally I do see the appeal of the one pedal approach but I also think that it is it he cause of more than a few of the 'sudden uncommanded acceleration' incidents on other EV's, especially when performing slow parking manoeuvres.

Also a few comments elsewhere about rear-end collisions possible being caused by a lack of brake lights alerting following drivers to slowing down...

It would be good to hear at what point the regen braking triggers the brake lights on the i-Pace...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've driven a Model S for 4.5 years and 160.000km. Single pedal driving is absolutely awesome and ultra-relaxed, you'll never want to drive a car without it again. But for the record, it isn't a matter of "creep vs one pedal driving". You can use creep or not independently of whether you use one pedal driving. One pedal driving is turned off by disabling/lowering the level of "regen". Creep only determines if it stops completely, or keeps rolling softly like a conventional automatic gearbox.

On the Model S, breaklights come on when the car slows down quicker than a conventional car would when you let go of the accelerator. On the dasboard is a rendering of the car that shows you if they are on or not. If anything, I would say they even turn on a bit earlier than you would expect rather than later.

Obviously, I can only hope that Jaguars implementation is similar.

Furthermore, stories about "uncommanded acceleration" are an often debunked urban myth; if you have your foot off the pedal, it wil not accelerate, period. And "one pedal driving" has nothing to do with it, it only determines how fast you slow down when you take your foot off the pedal, it doesn't change anything in how the car accelerates. And when it comes to "creep", the reason I never use it is because it actually gives me less control over the way the car behaves, certainly not more. With my foot, I can easily make the car move much, much slower than "creep speed", for hairpin accuracy when parking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly I agree that 'uncommamded acceleration' is a myth, but 'unintended acceleration' does get reported and in the case of Tesla at least, it is easily shown from data logs that the driver was pressing the 'go' pedal at the time even though they may believe otherwise.

It will be interesting to see exactly how the Jaguar implementation works, but as a long term auto driver I naturally lean towards creep on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think a lot depends on how precise and intuitive the accelerator pedal is implemented. On the Tesla, for me this offers such easy and extreme control, from neck snapping acceleration to hardly-visible millimeter-by-millimeter movement, that I now find using "creep" making the car want to move on its own, and using the brake to "hold it back" to obtain the same "mm-by-mm" speed, feels contra-intuitive.

I guess it is very much a personal preference, and that is why manufacturers like Tesla and Jaguar have implemented this as options; you can choose to use high regen and turn off creep and come very close to "one pedal driving", or set regen to low and creep mode on, and get more "classic" behavior.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly.

We have to wait and see how good the Jaguar implementation is and any specific idiosyncrasies it may have.

After that it is all personal choice and muscle memory :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts