Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
No but I am interested in possible options... I currently have a BlackVue DR650-2CH and I might just move it to the I-Pace, unless significant better options are available (like using the build-in camera's...)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a front and rear camera that I'll be moving from my current car - it has parking record too, so I just need to work out the best way of parting the trim panels and find a permanent 12V feed. Hopefully, there's something suitable in the overhead electronics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are camera's on the car already for parking assistance....

I wonder .... couldn't we simply reuse them? Front/back, all angles, that would be superb wouldn't it? Just wondering/dreaming.

·
Registered
478 Posts
funkwhiz said:
There are camera's on the car already for parking assistance....

I wonder .... couldn't we simply reuse them? Front/back, all angles, that would be superb wouldn't it? Just wondering/dreaming.
I had this discussion with a purchasing executive at Jaguar about 18 months ago and he confirmed it was the sort of thing they were working on. Unfortunately he subsequently left Jaguar and I know longer have anybody I can ask about it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer has told me today that they can't undertake this work prior to delivery (which seems odd) and that I will need to find a separate installer to do the work after I take delivery of the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When the car is fitted with cameras , it does seem strange not to enable them with the ability to record.
Isn't that what Tesla have just done?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
richardw said:
When the car is fitted with cameras , it does seem strange not to enable them with the ability to record.
Isn't that what Tesla have just done?
One reason is that in different countries the laws about photographing people in public are different.
In the UK, if you are in a public place you can photograph everyone and they can't sue. They can object but you are not breaking the law.
Go onto private land and all that changes.
If JLR use the camera data for an illegal operation they can be sued or even charged with aiding and abetting a crime.
Tesla might have been lucky and no one has sued them or the driver yet. In some places, you need a signed release from everyone even in a public place and even if their face is not visible. Imagine that and them put it into a moving car in a city centre...

Adding your own cameras makes you liable for damages (possibly both criminal and civil) if things go wrong.

Yes, I know thousands or people do it. I have a rear facing camera on my Motorcycle to catch the tailgaters but if I go abroad it is removed.
IANAL but I think it is a legal minefield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought my XF, my dealer advised they will not install any aftermarket items they didn't sell. It is a liability issue for them.

I am having front and rear dash cams as well as my radar detector hard wired tomorrow in my I Pace. The installer was a little concerned as there is no information online anywhere as the car is so new.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I want to get a dash cam, i'd like a front and rear one. Would be useful if it had wifi / car parking/knock sensors etc but I want something really discrete. Ideally it would just have small cameras on the screens and the DVR unit somewhere else (maybe the glove box etc).

Would be interested in what cameras people have that they would recommend

·
Registered
22 Posts
DaveR said:
I want to get a dash cam, i'd like a front and rear one. Would be useful if it had wifi / car parking/knock sensors etc but I want something really discrete. Ideally it would just have small cameras on the screens and the DVR unit somewhere else (maybe the glove box etc).

Would be interested in what cameras people have that they would recommend
DaveR I bought Thinkware. Not sure if they are available on your side of the pond. They do have quite good reviews and do everything you are looking for. Here is a link to the cameras (It is Canadian)

https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/collections/thinkware/products/thinkware-f800-pro-d-dual-channel-dash-cam?variant=13008129720343

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks Martin. I'll take a look!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.