Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to install a DashCam requiring Ground, Battery 12V, and Accessory 12V connection for recording whilst parked. I've had a quick look at the passenger side under-bonnet fuse box but can't see an easy way to route the cable into the passenger compartment.

The cable supplied with the DashCam allows recording for a fixed time after the car has been switched off.

Here's an image of the fuse box that I mentioned Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
When I had my BlackVue front and rear installed, the Halfords installer connected the dash cam and the low power module (Magic Pro) to the fuse box located under the rear seats. This allows me to record both front and rear while the car is parked using a it's motion detection feature and also powers off the dash cam if the 12v battery goes too low.

The cables are nearly tucked away and the installation only cost me an extra £49 (I think) and took about an hour.

Not sure if BlackVue still provide the best combination of features but I know they aren't/weren't cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
The Power Magic Pro isn't required for an iPace. The car will keep the 12v battery topped up even when not in use. The camera would have to eat through your 84 kWh HV battery pack before the Power Magic Pro would cut in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all,
Very useful information...... just have to decide on OBD2 connector or rear passenger fuse box. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm using the Garmin 55 installation cable and this allows you to set the parking "on" time via the dash cam ...... reduced power when in parking mode and then zero power when the timer switches off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Goshdarnit said:
The Power Magic Pro isn't required for an iPace. The car will keep the 12v battery topped up even when not in use. The camera would have to eat through your 84 kWh HV battery pack before the Power Magic Pro would cut in.
Tesla has a mode called "Sentry". This uses the onboard cameras and eats through the battery in about 2 weeks. Users advised to disable that feature if going off on long holiday :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Just be aware that not every OBDII connector for BlackVue will work. I had one that worked fine with my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but failed to work with my I-Pace.
I had to rewire to the fuse box under rear seats, easy job to do. The hard part was to wire the rear camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
Chewy said:
Goshdarnit said:
The Power Magic Pro isn't required for an iPace. The car will keep the 12v battery topped up even when not in use. The camera would have to eat through your 84 kWh HV battery pack before the Power Magic Pro would cut in.
Tesla has a mode called "Sentry". This uses the onboard cameras and eats through the battery in about 2 weeks. Users advised to disable that feature if going off on long holiday :)
Very different system. People often forget that sentry mode was a total afterthought, created when people realised that they could break into Tesla's without any alarm going off as they didn't bother to include internal alarm sensors. It uses massive amounts of internal processing power and numerous cameras as well as communications with the mothership. My blackvue system uses much less power. And even if it did, all the power magic pro would do is let the car run down to zero and then shut down when the HV was no longer capable of topping up the 12V battery. You'd be no better off than you would without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Goshdarnit said:
Tesla has a mode called "Sentry". This uses the onboard cameras and eats through the battery in about 2 weeks. Users advised to disable that feature if going off on long holiday :)
Very different system. People often forget that sentry mode was a total afterthought, created when people realised that they could break into Tesla's without any alarm going off as they didn't bother to include internal alarm sensors. It uses massive amounts of internal processing power and numerous cameras as well as communications with the mothership. My blackvue system uses much less power. And even if it did, all the power magic pro would do is let the car run down to zero and then shut down when the HV was no longer capable of topping up the 12V battery. You'd be no better off than you would without it.
[/quote]

I'm not a Tesla fan but when something is better, it's better. The Sentry mode uploads video to Tesla, which is great if the car has been stolen as it allows 72 hours of tamper proof video to hand to the police/insurance. I'm sure pretty soon it will also include the internal camera which can capture who has broken in, as long as they are not covering their faces.

With our dash cams, if the car or the dash cam is taken, the footage is gone. I know with BlackVue you can upload the data to their cloud, but there's a data cost to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
fa147 said:
I'm not a Tesla fan but when something is better, it's better. The Sentry mode uploads video to Tesla, which is great if the car has been stolen as it allows 72 hours of tamper proof video to hand to the police/insurance. I'm sure pretty soon it will also include the internal camera which can capture who has broken in, as long as they are not covering their faces.

With our dash cams, if the car or the dash cam is taken, the footage is gone. I know with BlackVue you can upload the data to their cloud, but there's a data cost to that.
Wasn't a review of sentry mode. Was a direct response to Chewy using sentry mode's battery usage to explain why he thought a power magic pro was a good idea. I agree sentry mode is a good idea but the reason it is so inefficient is because it was never a planned design feature of the car. It was a response to a number of high profile break ins. However I think its power consumption is so high that it renders it useless in the sort of situations I'd most want to use it (leaving the car at an airport car park for two weeks). I'd rather have an alarm with internal sensors and dashcams which I can actually leave enabled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Goshdarnit said:
Wasn't a review of sentry mode. Was a direct response to Chewy using sentry mode's battery usage to explain why he thought a power magic pro was a good idea. I agree sentry mode is a good idea but the reason it is so inefficient is because it was never a planned design feature of the car. It was a response to a number of high profile break ins. However I think its power consumption is so high that it renders it useless in the sort of situations I'd most want to use it (leaving the car at an airport car park for two weeks). I'd rather have an alarm with internal sensors and dash cams which I can actually leave enabled
I didn't mean to suggest it was a review, but I was also responding and saying for everyday use, it is better than our dash cams. Yes, for long periods it's not ideal, but then again neither is our BlackVue cameras, unless you have it sending the images to the cloud. The other thing is that our dash cams will not capture keying or damage to the side of the cars. There's been so many people being caught keying Tesla's due to the side camera's and we'd be stuck unable to prove the actual act.

I understand the % usage given that it isn't just 2 cameras being recorded, it is actually 4 cameras (V10), but again there is the choice to turn it off. Or factor it in when leaving the car, i.e. 2 weeks = 14-16% battery usage, so maybe just have the car at 90% SoC and when you are back the car will still have 75% charge, which is normally enough to get to a charger for 5% charge before arriving home. I know sometimes it's not an option, so I guess each to their own. I also appreciate the quality is not great, but then again, I would prefer to have the Sentry mode system on our I-Paces (4 camera reading around the entire car) and know/deal with the consequences if I decided to use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
****** said:
The Power Magic Pro isn't required for an iPace. The car will keep the 12v battery topped up even when not in use. The camera would have to eat through your 84 kWh HV battery pack before the Power Magic Pro would cut in.
Thanks for this! I was told I needed the Power Magic Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
jasonwaler said:
****** said:
The Power Magic Pro isn't required for an iPace. The car will keep the 12v battery topped up even when not in use. The camera would have to eat through your 84 kWh HV battery pack before the Power Magic Pro would cut in.
Thanks for this! I was told I needed the Power Magic Pro
I was told this too. While going through the thread on the forum, I read that when the 12v battery is low it takes charge from the main high voltage battery but equally I also read that there is potential for the 12v battery to be drained if it's not plugged in as the charge for the 12v is only take from the HV battery when it is plugged in.

In the end I was confused and just threw caution to the wind and also asked for the Magic Pro to be installed. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
baz99 said:
Thanks all,
Very useful information...... just have to decide on OBD2 connector or rear passenger fuse box. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm using the Garmin 55 installation cable and this allows you to set the parking "on" time via the dash cam ...... reduced power when in parking mode and then zero power when the timer switches off.
Just be careful to pick the correct ODB2. I bought one that worked fine in other cars, but not in my Jaag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which route did you take the cable from the rear seat fuse box to the front dashcam and was it easy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
baz99 said:
Which route did you take the cable from the rear seat fuse box to the front dashcam and was it easy?
I have a Nextbase camera but had to buy a longer cable from Ebay as the routing across the top of the windscreen, down the passenger A pillar and then along the door sills was too long for the included cable. I think I went for a 5m one in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was it easy to bring the cable into the rear fuse box and is it possible from either passenger or driver side? I assume the cable is hidden between the plastic trim panels and carpet along the sill.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top