Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
I installed the BlackVue 900, it was super easy on my driver side (which is the left side) and the supplied cable was of sufficient length. I would assume that running the cable on the right side should be equally easy. Took me about 30 minutes, the I-Pace clips are of good quality so no worries there. I used a fusetap in the fusebox.

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/matc-tp/mini-blade-fuse-tap/1.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Garmin 55 DashCam Parking Mode Installation:
I've now completed the installation. Here are some pictures to show the various stages in running the extension cable between the passenger fuse box beneath the rear seat and the DashCam mounted behind the rear view mirror.
The Current consumption is:

1) 236mA operational
2) 206mA standby
3) Parking mode 200mA
4) Parking mode timeout: 0mA

Dashcam switches off if 12V supply goes below 11.8V and switches back on at 12.3V

Parking mode triggers when activity is seen...... not sure if it triggers on movement as I haven't tried it yet.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Just had a Blackvue DR900x-2CH installed by Baros - brilliant job by Paul. But no GPS, have read about this same problem in the forum. Paul tested the GPS signal throughout car but no joy. Experimented with a temporary GPS repeater and worked, so waiting for the final piece of installation. It appears to be the Solar Plex glass used for heated windscreen causing the problem. So beware. Paul has fitted many iPaces and had only another issue like this before mine. Blackvue reckon the GPS reception may be on the on the limit with respect of the windscreen, so hence why some cars work and others do no. Not sure if all models have a heated windscreen. So if fitting a dashcam - test for a good GPS signal beforehand. Hope this helps
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
775 Posts
Geoffham said:
Just had a Blackvue DR900x-2CH installed by Baros - brilliant job by Paul. But no GPS, have read about this same problem in the forum. Paul tested the GPS signal throughout car but no joy. Experimented with a temporary GPS repeater and worked, so waiting for the final piece of installation. It appears to be the Solar Plex glass used for heated windscreen causing the problem. So beware. Paul has fitted many iPaces and had only another issue like this before mine. Blackvue reckon the GPS reception may be on the on the limit with respect of the windscreen, so hence why some cars work and others do no. Not sure if all models have a heated windscreen. So if fitting a dashcam - test for a good GPS signal beforehand. Hope this helps
I also have a blackvue 900-S and we tried to find a spot with a good GPS signal using my phones GPS test App. No avail, the Blackvue still cannot get a GPS signal despite our efforts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I also fitted a BlackVue DR900-2CH system and found I never got any GPS except when left stationary for some time. This being on an HSE model - where I Strongly suspect this is due to interference from the Front windscreen mounted Lane Control Radar. Would love to know whether any 2021 models suffer the same fate as apparently they don't have this radar.

I have since fitted a GPS Aerial/PreAmp module inside the rear spoiler base (where I'd previously routed the Rear Camera cable through). The amplified GPS signal is routed in coax to the front camera via an RF choke and 3.5v regulator circuit tapped off the Camera Power cable.

The coax then feeds to the front camera, centred just below the RV Mirror, via a connector to a rectangular wire aerial fashioned to fit tie-wrapped to the front of the camera. I now get a continuous GPS signal! Both the coax and the connector are as per the specs for the rear camera's coax feed and connector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
@JAGiAM, there is no radar fitted to the windscreen, just a camera (or two) plus the light/rain sensor.
It might be because of the heated windscreen or one of the many treatments applied to the glass itself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Ok so maybe there is no microwave radar involved. The heated windscreen does not significantly affect the 1.56Ghz GPS signal. The glass InfraRed/UltraViolet treatment certainly should not affect RF UHF /sub-microwave signals at all! Using a GPS signal tester, I found that the signal was completely blocked by emissions from the overhead camera locations whenever I "Started" the car - so I put this down to un-suppressed signal processor interference from the cameras and/or inadequate earthing of the diecast camera housing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Finally my Blackvue 900x-2ch has been fitted with full gps reception. Work done by Paul Coles of Blackvue UK aka Baros. As stated before the solar plex glass in panoramic roof and windscreen made it impossible to receive a GPS signal anywhere in car. Paul fitted a GPS repeater next to front dash cam, wired from a receiver in front boot. All wiring concealed - a great job. Appreciation to Paul for great service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Geoffham said:
Finally my Blackvue 900x-2ch has been fitted with full gps reception. Work done by Paul Coles of Blackvue UK aka Baros. As stated before the solar plex glass in panoramic roof and windscreen made it impossible to receive a GPS signal anywhere in car. Paul fitted a GPS repeater next to front dash cam, wired from a receiver in front boot. All wiring concealed - a great job. Appreciation to Paul for great service.
Maybe put his contact details in here so others that want to use his services, can do so.

Nothing like a community recommendation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Geoffham said:
Finally my Blackvue 900x-2ch has been fitted with full gps reception. Work done by Paul Coles of Blackvue UK aka Baros. As stated before the solar plex glass in panoramic roof and windscreen made it impossible to receive a GPS signal anywhere in car. Paul fitted a GPS repeater next to front dash cam, wired from a receiver in front boot. All wiring concealed - a great job. Appreciation to Paul for great service.
Where to run the cable to the front boot?
Do you have some pictures?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Hi,

Have you had any problems with the Matrix Headlights as I was told the sensor is behind the rear view mirror and the Black view might block it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Matrix headlight uses the camera mounted on the Windscreen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I'm copying below a post I put on the Introductions forum as it's probably more relevant here and will hopefully get more views:

This has got me thinking. As my car is a 2020MY I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the rear mirror although it doesn't bother me too much and I accept it for what it is. However, if there was a decent aftermarket camera mirror available I'd go for it. The eBay link gives lots of choice at reasonable cost but they all seem to be a combined mirror and front and rear dash cam which I don't particularly want. Also, I assume that installation involves cables running all over the place and I wouldn't want that either.

Has anyone on here fitted one who can give the benefit of their experience?


Hope someone can help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
frogmill0 said:
I'm copying below a post I put on the Introductions forum as it's probably more relevant here and will hopefully get more views:

This has got me thinking. As my car is a 2020MY I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the rear mirror although it doesn't bother me too much and I accept it for what it is. However, if there was a decent aftermarket camera mirror available I'd go for it. The eBay link gives lots of choice at reasonable cost but they all seem to be a combined mirror and front and rear dash cam which I don't particularly want. Also, I assume that installation involves cables running all over the place and I wouldn't want that either.

Has anyone on here fitted one who can give the benefit of their experience?


Hope someone can help.
I've just ordered a Pormindo Mirror Dash Cam Front and rear reverse car camera from Amazon. It appears to be the only unit with a DETACHED FRONT CAMERA and has several good reviews including YouTube videos. The next step is to work out how to install it. I'll let you know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Thincat said:
frogmill0 said:
I'm copying below a post I put on the Introductions forum as it's probably more relevant here and will hopefully get more views:

This has got me thinking. As my car is a 2020MY I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the rear mirror although it doesn't bother me too much and I accept it for what it is. However, if there was a decent aftermarket camera mirror available I'd go for it. The eBay link gives lots of choice at reasonable cost but they all seem to be a combined mirror and front and rear dash cam which I don't particularly want. Also, I assume that installation involves cables running all over the place and I wouldn't want that either.

Has anyone on here fitted one who can give the benefit of their experience?


Hope someone can help.
I've just ordered a Pormindo Mirror Dash Cam Front and rear reverse car camera from Amazon. It appears to be the only unit with a DETACHED FRONT CAMERA and has several good reviews including YouTube videos. The next step is to work out how to install it. I'll let you know how it goes.
That's the one I have. Not that difficult to install. Tucked all the wires in the headliner. Used an OBD power adaptor to power it, running that cable along the headliner, down the A pillar to the OBD port near the brake pedal. That just saved me running it all the way back to the fuse under the rear seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
[/quote]

That's the one I have. Not that difficult to install. Tucked all the wires in the headliner. Used an OBD power adaptor to power it, running that cable along the headliner, down the A pillar to the OBD port near the brake pedal. That just saved me running it all the way back to the fuse under the rear seat.
[/quote]

Interesting; Can I ask where is the best place to get an OBD power adaptor?
Also, where did you fit the rear camera? and where did you fit the front camera? How about some photos?
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Frogmill0
Have you tried Google?
I am looking at adding myself having installed previously in my F Pace,
Just searched and there are many links videos available such as https://www.i-paceforum.com/threads/diy-for-blackvue-dashcam-installation.3513/
If it's just a front facing camera then Nextbase offer a number of these.
I suggest investing in Trim removal kit if you don't have any, makes life so much easier and your not going to damage plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Thanks, Barthog24. Yes, I did Google it and found the choice rather bewildering so I thought putting the question on here would come up with something of particular relevance to the I-Pace. That does seem to be happening so thanks to those who've replied so far.
 
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Top