Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Pormido Mirror Dashcam comes with a trim removing tool. So far I have connected it up to test it and I am very impressed with the quality of the unit and the pictures.
I've just ordered a "Camway Universal Dash Cam Hardwire Kit 12V-24V to 5V OBD Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Mini to Micro USB Plug" from Amazon for £9.99 and a right angle mini USB adapter in case it is needed.
I'm planning to fit the rear camera in the center of the rear spoiler which I'm expecting to have to remove.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great plan, please post some pictures. Is there enough clearance for the plugs when the Promido is clipped on?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Topdown said:
Great plan, please post some pictures. Is there enough clearance for the plugs when the Promido is clipped on?
Yes, the plugs fit fine and although the new mirror is 12" wide it doesn't look out of place and makes it easy to find a good spot for the (very small) front camera. I think it's going to take some work hiding the cables and connectors behind the mirror but it might be sufficint just to tuck them into the rubber straps that hold the new mirror on top of the old one.

I do plan to take photos and/or a video but in the "heat of battle" I might have other priorities!
One thing I found daunting is there are lots of videos about how to fit a dashcam but none specifically about fitting one to an I-Pace. I will be aiming to address that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks what model of Pormido have you bought and where from?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's the one I have. Not that difficult to install. Tucked all the wires in the headliner. Used an OBD power adaptor to power it, running that cable along the headliner, down the A pillar to the OBD port near the brake pedal. That just saved me running it all the way back to the fuse under the rear seat.
[/quote]

Interesting; Can I ask where is the best place to get an OBD power adaptor?
Also, where did you fit the rear camera? and where did you fit the front camera? How about some photos?
Thanks.
[/quote]

Got mine on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164197308157

In Car Dash Cam DVR Hardwire Kit Tools 12/24V to 5V/3A OBD Cable

Has a switch so you can choose between on all the time, or switching off about 5 minutes after power down.

I fitted the rear cam in the car, stuck on the plastic at the top of the rear windscreen. There is a short run of cable visible before it goes into the headliner. Did this so there is no drilling/damage to the lease car. I will try to post some photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Topdown said:
It's a "PORMIDO Mirror Dash Cam Front and Rear View Reverse Car Camera,12 Inch Dual Dashcam with Detached Front Camera, Anti Glare Full Touch Screen HD1920P, Sony Lens, Night Vision, Parking Monitoring" purchased from Amazon for £189.99. It's the model PR996 with the separate front camera.

I bought this one because I was worried that there is so much stuff already on the screen behind the mirror on the I-Pace that the built-in camera on the cheaper (£149.99) model might have some of its view obscured and I didn't want to take the chance. If someone else had already fitted one to an I-Pace successfully I would have probably gone for the cheaper one because there is less wiring to hide.

I don't intend to use the reversing feature, because I already have the surround camera in the HSE,
I am looking for 3 main benefits:
1. Overcoming the restricted rear view caused by the small rear screen, large rear head restraints, And when I have a full load in the back.
2. The lack of a rear screen wiper meaning the rear screen gets obscured when it rains or snows.
3. The bonus of having front and back dashcam coverage with constant recording even when the car is parked

For the price of a two-camera dashcam system, I also have an electronic rearview mirror which I would have paid over £200 to have fitted to a new car (if it had been available).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thincat said:
Topdown said:
It's a "PORMIDO Mirror Dash Cam Front and Rear View Reverse Car Camera,12 Inch Dual Dashcam with Detached Front Camera, Anti Glare Full Touch Screen HD1920P, Sony Lens, Night Vision, Parking Monitoring" purchased from Amazon for £189.99. It's the model PR996 with the separate front camera.

I bought this one because I was worried that there is so much stuff already on the screen behind the mirror on the I-Pace that the built-in camera on the cheaper (£149.99) model might have some of its view obscured and I didn't want to take the chance. If someone else had already fitted one to an I-Pace successfully I would have probably gone for the cheaper one because there is less wiring to hide.

I don't intend to use the reversing feature, because I already have the surround camera in the HSE,
I am looking for 3 main benefits:
1. Overcoming the restricted rear view caused by the small rear screen, large rear head restraints, And when I have a full load in the back.
2. The lack of a rear screen wiper meaning the rear screen gets obscured when it rains or snows.
3. The bonus of having front and back dashcam coverage with constant recording even when the car is parked

For the price of a two-camera dashcam system, I also have an electronic rearview mirror which I would have paid over £200 to have fitted to a new car (if it had been available).
Thanks,

I have ordered the same and will look at mounting the rear camera outside just under the spoiler. A spoiler off job will help in feeding the wire thru.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Topdown,

Is the rear camera waterproofed?

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lobster said:
Hi Topdown,

Is the rear camera waterproofed?

Cheers, Steve
waterproof backup camera

Waterproof & Weather Resistant Rear Camera
You can install the rear camera inside or outside of the car with included brackets or fix it upside down, there is a "Rear Image Flip" function at the menu setting. The backup camera is waterproof and stands well outside even in extreme temperature during 4 °F to 190°F under various climates.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had just uploaded my YouTube video of fitting a mirror dashcam to an I-Pace.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great video. Spoiler removal and fitting the cable thru were the main issues and you have shown howto and the potential pitfalls. Really helpful.

·
Registered
471 Posts
POTENTIAL PROBLEM!
Yesterday, about 24 hours after fitting the Mirror Dashcam and 3 days after getting the car back from the dealer following replacement of the Battery Charger Control Module I came to use the car and found multiple errors and I could not drive it or even lock it. I called out Jaguar Assist. and they diagnosed a flat 12V battery. I thought that I had left the dashcam turned off using the in-line switch built into the ODB power adapter, but I disconnected it as soon as I realised there was a problem. The Jaguar technician identified that the 12V battery was flat and spent about 30 minutes charging it up and while waiting he updated no less than 8 software items that were due. They were: ABS, BCCM, BECM, BCM, EPICB, EPICC, GWM 5 and he said that all of these should have been updated by the dealer. Recharging the 12V battery fixed all the problems and I took the car out for a trip to the shops without incident. It was not possible to identify the cause of the problem but it was likely to be a problem caused by having the battery discharged at the dealers for 5 weeks, apparently, the 12V battery only charges when the car is driven and in 5 weeks it had traveled less than 30 miles, I assume that the dealer checked the 12V battery before returning the car but the fact that they had failed to update the software makes me wonder. Alternatively, the drain could have been caused by the dashcam. It took about 8 hours to fit, during which time the car was unlocked and the JLR technician said that the low voltage protection built into the ODB power supply was too low , cutting out at 11.6V. I have disconnected the dashcam because I have an important road trip this weekend but after that I plan to cautiously experiment with different power supplies - using the cigar lighter and the fuse box under the read seat. I will report back on the outcome in about a week.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thincat said:
POTENTIAL PROBLEM!
Yesterday, about 24 hours after fitting the Mirror Dashcam and 3 days after getting the car back from the dealer following replacement of the Battery Charger Control Module I came to use the car and found multiple errors and I could not drive it or even lock it. I called out Jaguar Assist. and they diagnosed a flat 12V battery. I thought that I had left the dashcam turned off using the in-line switch built into the ODB power adapter, but I disconnected it as soon as I realised there was a problem. The Jaguar technician identified that the 12V battery was flat and spent about 30 minutes charging it up and while waiting he updated no less than 8 software items that were due. They were: ABS, BCCM, BECM, BCM, EPICB, EPICC, GWM 5 and he said that all of these should have been updated by the dealer. Recharging the 12V battery fixed all the problems and I took the car out for a trip to the shops without incident. It was not possible to identify the cause of the problem but it was likely to be a problem caused by having the battery discharged at the dealers for 5 weeks, apparently, the 12V battery only charges when the car is driven and in 5 weeks it had traveled less than 30 miles, I assume that the dealer checked the 12V battery before returning the car but the fact that they had failed to update the software makes me wonder. Alternatively, the drain could have been caused by the dashcam. It took about 8 hours to fit, during which time the car was unlocked and the JLR technician said that the low voltage protection built into the ODB power supply was too low , cutting out at 11.6V.
I have disconnected the dashcam because I have an important road trip this weekend but after that I plan to cautiously experiment with different power supplies - using the cigar lighter and the fuse box under the read seat. I will report back on the outcome in about a week.
I have not installed mine yet and am going to use the Promido hard wire kit to the fuse box under the rear seat. The voltage cut off can be set to 12.1. The leads are a bit short and will need extending. Most of the time I will be able to select parking monitoring off and see how it goes. The 12 volt AGM battery also gets charged when the traction battery is being charged. You can see this on the app.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks very much Thincat for the detailed installation video!

However, after 43 minutes, I was expecting to see the mirror in action for at least a few seconds. Please post some eye candy! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did a dry run and the rear cam view from inside the back window, is as good as mounting the camera outside on the spoiler. The window is quite dirty as well. Disappointing is that when the Promido screen is attached to the mirror the Promido Cam and power cables even with angled plugs are tight against the roof trim which means the screen is tilted down. As it is a video picture this is not a problem but just looks wrong.I am going to try packing between the mirror and the Promido so that the Promido screen is in the correct position 'as a mirror'. Good news is that the GPS signal is good when the receiver is located at the top of the screen in the RF TAG area. Will post some pics on next dry run.

·
Registered
471 Posts
symos said:
Thanks very much Thincat for the detailed installation video!

However, after 43 minutes, I was expecting to see the mirror in action for at least a few seconds. Please post some eye candy! :)
Sorry for the excessively long video and lack of conclusions; I have called a halt to my experiments after the 12V battery was flat the next day and it might have been because of the Mirror Cam, I can't afford problems for the next few days as I have some very important trips this week.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Topdown said:
I did a dry run and the rear cam view from inside the back window, is as good as mounting the camera outside on the spoiler. The window is quite dirty as well. Disappointing is that when the Promido screen is attached to the mirror the Promido Cam and power cables even with angled plugs are tight against the roof trim which means the screen is tilted down. As it is a video picture this is not a problem but just looks wrong.I am going to try packing between the mirror and the Promido so that the Promido screen is in the correct position 'as a mirror'. Good news is that the GPS signal is good when the receiver is located at the top of the screen in the RF TAG area. Will post some pics on next dry run.
I considered the inside the back window but I was concerned about frost/snow/dirt/rain on the window. The cable still has to be run through the rubber concertina and I think you will still need to take the spoiler off to do that.

I agree with your comment about the plugs against the roof trim. Have you considered trying the longer rubber fitting bands to allow more flexibility on fitting?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Moving the Promido out a few mm and down should help. Agree the spoiler has to come off Next weather window I'll do the install but will have the granny charger on to keep the 12 v topped up to avoid perhaps your problem. A good tip on a video was to use a phone screen protector to try different camera positions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Product Luggage and bags Bag Bumper Rectangle
Topdown said:
Moving the Promido out a few mm and down should help.
I have solved the problem of the cables not allowing the mirror to be fitted in the right position:
I cut a piece of rubber foam (polystyrene would work just as well) into a wedge-shaped block 9cm long, 2.5cm wide, 1.5cm on the narrow edge and 2cm on the wide edge. I stuck this on the back of the new mirror with double-sided tape so that the narrow edge was at the top. I then angled the original mirror as far down as it would go and fitted the new mirror using the longer rubber straps provided in the kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thincat said:
1 Foam block & large straps.jpg
Topdown said:
Moving the Promido out a few mm and down should help.
I have solved the problem of the cables not allowing the mirror to be fitted in the right position:
I cut a piece of rubber foam (polystyrene would work just as well) into a wedge-shaped block 9cm long, 2.5cm wide, 1.5cm on the narrow edge and 2cm on the wide edge. I stuck this on the back of the new mirror with double-sided tape so that the narrow edge was at the top. I then angled the original mirror as far down as it would go and fitted the new mirror using the longer rubber straps provided in the kit.
Perfect solution. Having the Promido in position as a mirror gives the clearance. Ref the under back seat fuse box all the empty fuse positions are Batt + - power with ignition off. Going to use a piggy back off 5 for the ACC +.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts