Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Having modified the end of the YouTube video to include footage of the modifications needed to get the mirror position right it now has a new URL:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Doesn't say much for Jaguar if some of their technicians don't even know that the Auxillary Batteries are continuously monitored and maintained at all times - whether parked and locked or driven - so no need for battery cut-off circuits! (Continuously drawing typically less than 5 watts or 450ma, a dash cam will consume less than 0.840 Kw per week or less than 50 Kw/Year from the 90Kw Traction battery).

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I was working on prep for installing the Dashcam checking for fuses - doors open/ closed powering up and powering down for about 2 hours when I moved the car I got a traction battery fault proceed with caution. I notice that the 12v Battery was getting. 15v charge. After driving for 10mins this error was gone. I believe it is possible to deplete the 12v battery so when working on the car in future I will have the granny plugged in.

Reactions: Thincat

·
Registered
478 Posts
Topdown said:
When I was working on prep for installing the Dashcam checking for fuses - doors open/ closed powering up and powering down for about 2 hours when I moved the car I got a traction battery fault proceed with caution. I notice that the 12v Battery was getting. 15v charge. After driving for 10mins this error was gone. I believe it is possible to deplete the 12v battery so when working on the car in future I will have the granny plugged in.
I suspect that may be what happened to me. I was working on the car for at least 8 hours and for most of that time the door and tailgate were open so although I didn't connect it up until the end, there would have been other things draining the battery, The ODB power supply is 'always on' and although I think that I had turned it off, that may not have been the case. In particular, the Mirror has a time-out display that turns it off after between 1 and 3 minutes so I may have thought it was off. Since I don't often need the camera recording when I'm not driving I think I am going to connect to a power supply that goes off with the ignition and incorporate a switch that allows me to change between the 2.

I tested the unit last night and was very impressed with the night-time image. I've just been out to the car to get the memory card so that I can extract a still to post and found (1) that you have to remove the power supply to get at the SD card and (2) despite me thinking I had switched off the power supply the cameras had been recording all night. Checking on WhatCat showed that the Aux battery voltage has dropped from 12.9v to 11.7v in about 15 hours, which is worrying.

The video that these stills came from was taken on a wet, dark evening but there is no dazzle from the following car's headlights and the picture includes my rear screen (not obvious from the very narrow display)

Automotive lighting Sky Astronomical object Science Star

Astronomical object Science Midnight Space Electric blue

Automotive lighting Infrastructure Road surface Lighting Hood

Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Hood Road surface

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Vey good image quality. Doing some more research I think the OBD power supply is not best for the Promido but ok for other dash cams as they have rechargeable batteries. The Promido requires power and 3 amps is big draw on the 12V. Not sure why your 12V battery is not getting a top up when the car is shutdown. I have seen mine drop to 12.4 but overnight is is back up to 12.8 just before I unlock. As the 12v battery is an AGM it is never charged to 100% but floats around 12.8 when everything is powered off.
I'll update when I have tapped into the under seat fuse box. I noted that the rubber tubes on the tail gate that the LH is not a 'busy' as the RH so am going to use it. ...Just need some weather!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I removed the memory card at about 9:30pm last night and left the power connection to the mirror off overnight. This morning I went to the car at 10am, planning to reinsert the memory card and change the power supply to use the cigar lighter. I was able to unlock the car with the fob but everything else was dead. Called Jaguar Assist and they sent an AA patrol within 15 minutes; the 12V battery was down to less than 10V. They recharged the battery and I removed the ODB connector and connected the alternative cigar lighter supply. The car has worked fine since then (on a 50m return trip to Birmingham and 2 local trips this evening. The mirror works very well but for some reason, WattCat is still reporting that the 12V battery is at 10.7%. I'm confused!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My installation was more basic, with the rear cam inside the car, with a short length of wire visible there. But all easily removable with no lasting damage to the car. There is some reflection from the boot cover, which is noticeable but not distracting.

Mirror Hood Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive design

Front camera
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Hood

Power cable down driver A pillar
Window Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

To OBD port (timed/permanent)
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Cable to rear camera running along passenger roofline
Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design

Excess cable stored in roofline above B pillar
Furniture Plant Automotive tire Hood Chair

Location of rear camera
Car Motor vehicle Window Automotive design Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Light

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Since changing from the ODB power supply to the cigar lighter I have had no problems with the battery and everything is working as I want it to.
lynCognito - I notice that you are using an ODB power supply; it will be interesting to see if you have any problems with your 12V battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Haven't had any 12v battery issues. I have had the dashcam with the OBD power for about 9 months. Usually, I leave it on the ACC mode, which switches off 5 min after power down. However, it has been contantly on for like a week or so at a time when I have accidentally kicked the OBD switch. Only noticed it cause the screen was on all the time. Not caused any issues. I have noticed that if the 12v battery voltage starts to drop (seen on WattCat app) , it then automatically gets topped up by the traction battery.

·
Registered
478 Posts
IynCognito said:
Haven't had any 12v battery issues. I have had the dashcam with the OBD power for about 9 months. Usually, I leave it on the ACC mode, which switches off 5 min after power down. However, it has been contantly on for like a week or so at a time when I have accidentally kicked the OBD switch. Only noticed it cause the screen was on all the time. Not caused any issues. I have noticed that if the 12v battery voltage starts to drop (seen on WattCat app) , it then automatically gets topped up by the traction battery.
Interesting; I perhaps had a faulty ODB power supply. Also, my 12V battery doesn't appear to charge from the main traction battery unless I'm driving.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Topdown said:
I have not installed mine yet and am going to use the Promido hard wire kit to the fuse box under the rear seat. The voltage cut off can be set to 12.1. The leads are a bit short and will need extending. Most of the time I will be able to select parking monitoring off and see how it goes. The 12 volt AGM battery also gets charged when the traction battery is being charged. You can see this on the app.
How can be the Pormido hard wire kit voltage set t 12.1V?
Where in the rear seat fuse box is better to connect the cam, if I want it to turn off when I get out the car?
I figured my dash cam take power from auxiliary AGM battery (15Ah) not from starter one, isn't?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The hardwire kit has a voltage control monitor that if the supply drops below 12.1v it cuts off the power. I would not use the small aux 15 Ah battery in the frunk. The promido you can turn off the parking monitor then it will not power up when the car is locked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Topdown said:
The hardwire kit has a voltage control monitor that if the supply drops below 12.1v it cuts off the power. I would not use the small aux 15 Ah battery in the frunk. The promido you can turn off the parking monitor then it will not power up when the car is locked.
I got that voltage control kit and connected through the rear seat fuse box.
As I constant get 12V issue, I wonder if can be related to the Pormido cam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had decided to install a dash cam into the I-Pace as apparently tackled by many intrepid owners on this forum. As many have found the GPS signal is nigh on non existant so I thought the best way to start was to look at the practicality of the well mentioned GPS Receiver/Transmitter modules. Today I spent over 2 hours trying to see how to get a simple antenna cable from the front of the car to the inside and have failed. Many people have mentioned putting the receiver module under the plastic wiper shroud but I can't see how this can be done due to the accessiblity of cable grommets or spaces to drill your own. Has anyone got a good description of how and where they have actually managed to thread the required cable?
Thank you.

Dave

·
Registered
194 Posts
The is a good GPS signal on the windscreen at the black hatched area next to the mirror. I stuck mine on the inside.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is the Promido with a separate GPS receiver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Update.

Since installation with the hardwire kit there has been no battery problems and have got so used to the rear camera view that I don't switch on the rear screen heater...that will give a few battery miles... :). The other day however the rear camera image was upside down and checked everything reset etc. Was almost going to take the spoiler off. then I noticed that with the Camera you can move the image view up / down and what I was seeing was a reflection of the rear screen as I had move the view too far down...(idiot)

So 'clear sight' with Dash cam front and back on a budget. GPS takes 3-4 minutes to locate the signals with the Sensor on on the hatched area of the screen.

The rear camera seems to keep itself clean even in the rain.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree, no further problems with the 12V battery, I'm increasingly convinced that several weeks with the main battery discharged followed by 8 hours of me having the doors open whilst fitting the mirror cam meant that there was no real chance of recharging the 12V battery. For the last few weeks I have been powering the unit using the 12v socket behind the front seats and eventually, I will connect it to the fuse box under the seat but in the meantime, it works very well, the rear camera doesn't need cleaning, there is no need for the rear screen heater and the dashcam has already recorded one road rage incident when the driver of a V8 Land Rover was upset that I out accelerated him at a junction.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts