Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again my 500mb was used in 3 days this month. Hotspot is not turned on so there are no devices connected to it. Anyone know what it might be and if there is a way of determining what is using the data?

cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem, all my 500mb on Ubigi has gone and I've had the car only 4 days! I don't stream, music and have disabled all the satellite view options for nav. I had about 380mb this morning, and drove to Birmingham and back (great Instavolt charging experience in Solihull). Accidents and traffic meant total time was about 6 hours. Had sat nav running whole journey with live traffic. Data ran out about 1 hour 30 from home according to my phone notification but tbh didn't notice any difference on the sat nav? Does anyone know what the centre console sim actual is used for?

Also, a lot of people have discussed the 24gb sim from three available on Amazon. Does this need activating in any way, or does it just work if you just bung it in the slot in the car?! Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Simonmac said:
I had the same problem, all my 500mb on Ubigi has gone and I've had the car only 4 days! I don't stream, music and have disabled all the satellite view options for nav. I had about 380mb this morning, and drove to Birmingham and back (great Instavolt charging experience in Solihull). Accidents and traffic meant total time was about 6 hours. Had sat nav running whole journey with live traffic. Data ran out about 1 hour 30 from home according to my phone notification but tbh didn't notice any difference on the sat nav? Does anyone know what the centre console sim actual is used for?

Also, a lot of people have discussed the 24gb sim from three available on Amazon. Does this need activating in any way, or does it just work if you just bung it in the slot in the car?! Thanks
I have the 12GB SIM from Three in my 911 (not the Macan but that's because connectivity was an option I didn't tick when I bought the Macan but its now standard on all Porsche models ) and it activates as soon as you have inserted it. You should also receive an SMS with a password which you use on a computer with the SIMs number to set up a My 3 Account so you can see data usage and top up. The Porsche PCM displays the text message in its Phone menu but as I don't have an iPace yet (ordered Tuesday 27th) I don't know where it would show. I never top up as it's cheaper to just buy a new SIM as the 12GB data is available for the full12 months and not pro rata per month like other ISPs here in the UK. Not sure why it should use so much in your iPace if you are not streaming music, I only used about 6GB in a full year but if you have enabled the WiFi Hotspot in the iPace and set up a connection to a phone that phone will automatically connect and start using the internet connection through the SIM in the iPace. You may not even realise it's happening hence why your data gets used rapidly. I did have this issue with an iPhone and my 911 because the iPhone automatically connects to any Wi-fi network it has been previously connected to. The solution was to disable Auto Join (in the iPhone settings menu) for the Wi-fi hotspot in the 911.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simonmac said:

Yep exactly this. i'd prefer not to throw money at it though! My hotspot is disable so something is hungrily chewing up data. I am using car play nav now as traffic data is really important to me

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pbay said:
Again my 500mb was used in 3 days this month. Hotspot is not turned on so there are no devices connected to it. Anyone know what it might be and if there is a way of determining what is using the data?

cheers!
Can it be an OTA running in the background or does that only work on WiFi?

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Raeth said:
Pbay said:

cheers!
Can it be an OTA running in the background or does that only work on WiFi?
I thought the "Jaguar stuff" like OTA updates, In Control etc were handled by the onboard sim, and that "Your stuff" like internet, traffic info etc were handled by your personal sim.

Installing a personal sim is not required, so it would be unlikely that OTA updates are done via personal sim.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Billy Bunter said:
Installing a personal sim is not required, so it would be unlikely that OTA updates are done via personal sim.
Though it's not impossible that there's a bug in the firmware that allows/causes the personal SIM to be used for default processes if one is installed. (Not saying that this is the case, but just floating the possibility).

·
Registered
48 Posts
POR991 said:
Not sure why it should use so much in your iPace if you are not streaming music, I only used about 6GB in a full year but if you have enabled the WiFi Hotspot in the iPace and set up a connection to a phone that phone will automatically connect and start using the internet connection through the SIM in the iPace. You may not even realise it's happening hence why your data gets used rapidly. I did have this issue with an iPhone and my 911 because the iPhone automatically connects to any Wi-fi network it has been previously connected to. The solution was to disable Auto Join (in the iPhone settings menu) for the Wi-fi hotspot in the 911.
Thanks for the confirmation on the sim. I'll just put in and see what happens! I've doubled checked settings and no hotspot enabled, and no OTA changes either. I 'shared location' whilst driving that may have caused an issue, so I'm turning everything off except live traffic and will see what happens. May have to wait for Ubigi to re-enable at end of month to check the usage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this problem too. I have spoken to Jaguar techs who said they have no idea. I think it may be the In Control App. If it is not fully off on your phone (Ie swiped to switch off) it seems to update your car status every minute or so. However that is just a guess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I seem to be using an average of 15 MB a day (or roughly 150 km). Not really sure where the Sim is used for because the JLR sales told me the navigaton would be much richer due to more data, but i dont see any difference at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same issue. 1GB data used in a few days without doing something data intensive myself. After searching through the options I found some navigation settings concerning data. Turned off the options that were marked as "high data usage" and now data usage is "normal", a few MB's per day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fox_nl said:
I had the same issue. 1GB data used in a few days without doing something data intensive myself. After searching through the options I found some navigation settings concerning data. Turned off the options that were marked as "high data usage" and now data usage is "normal", a few MB's per day.
Thanks will try this!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I "think" that traffic may be being supplied by Sirius and Not the personal SIM. Can any verify this ? I say this because I do NOT have an Active Personal SIM (The dealer never even set-up the trial) yet I still get traffic info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fox_nl said:
i did this but still have the problems, anyone else still having it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts