Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about expected monthly data volume for 3G/4G connectivity of the car?
It obviously will be highly dependent on what passengers of the car will do through the WIFI hotspot, or how many hours of music will you stream through connected services, map access and the like. But that set aside, there are occasional over-the-air updates to be expected. Was anything published about the maximum size those updates could be? For instance, some iPhone update can easily be 1.5 GB.

What could it be for a wide update of many subsystems of the car IT?
The answer might dictate what level of data service should be chosen.
For instance, in Belgium, through one of the providers, I could select a 4GB/month data-only card for 12€, or a 8GB/month for 20€. There are smaller and larger plans too.

G

·
On my F-Pace I did approximately 9,000 miles a year (750miles a month) . I only used about 400mb of data per month.
Although the F-pace at the time was limited to 3G so often people would not connect to it's wifi but instead use their own 4G on their phones, etc..

The Data was general used for the SatNav, Weather, News, etc... The I-Pace has it's own Sim for OTA updates, etc... so you only need to worry about data you use.

In the UK "Three" network provided a 12gb Sim for 12 months for £30. No idea if they still do that, but I'd expect this to be more than enough for most people. I doubt you'll break 1gb per month ... you'll never be anywhere near 4gb unless you are streaming music all the time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gdank said:
The I-Pace has it's own Sim for OTA updates, etc... so you only need to worry about data you use.
Good to read that. I guess it is time I spend some time in the online manual. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lvrmsc said:
Gdank said:
The I-Pace has it's own Sim for OTA updates, etc... so you only need to worry about data you use.
Good to read that. I guess it is time I spend some time in the online manual. :)
Hmm... This, about software updates: http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4K/2019/T29581/29937_en_GBR/proc/G2214328 says:
The download of data may incur costs.
Yet, the same page also says:
The new software must be successfully downloaded onto the vehicle via the in-built SIM or a personal SIM card.
So it leaves a bit of doubt about the precision of the currently published online manual... Are there bits and pieces left over from an other vehicle manual, left to be proof-read and possibly updated? Is there really an in-built SIM, or not? Does the personal SIM takes precedence of any in-built SIM, including for data transfers induced by software updates?
Is the remark about "possible data download costs" simply a warning because the in-built SIM would be time-limited (one year, three years?) and may require a paid service to extend (which wouldn't be surprising - I wouldn't mind)?

There will be some questions to be clarified by my dealer (when delivery time will approach). :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tophe74 said:
I doubt a month fee for additional data should be a big concern when u buy a car 80k + € :)
That wasn't the exact point of the question, but I'm sorry it might look like. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know. Just a joke.
With my Ausi Etron and google maps i barely use 5go of data and only when i travel and need new pictures.
For music or internet it will use same amount of data than your phone i suppose.
The OTA should use Jaguar build in Sim cards as u have to get them even if u don t use personal sim. And i think its more secure to.

G

·
I'm 99.99% sure Jaguar said somewhere on an official statement that OTA will not require the customer to obtain their own SIM.

I'll see if I can find it, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Edit: BTW all Jag's atm have their own hidden phone sim for emergency & Maintenance calls from the phone, therefore not a stretch that this can be extended to include some data.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Obviously, it all depends on what you and your co-riders use. One of the things to be careful about are streaming services like Netflix. When connecting to the hotspot, the Netflix apps detects the presence of a Wifi network, and automatically switches to the highest quality (because Wifi is free, isn't it ? :)
I have a 1 gig limit/month, and easily blow that away in 1 or 2 hours of "Wifi" netflix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts