Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my i pace for three weeks now, two and a half years old, absolutely live it. Just a concern charged to 100% overnight and range says 219 miles last week on 100% it was 235miles any idea on the reason for the reduction?

·
Registered
179 Posts
The car recognising that you like to drive in enthusiastically whilst enjoying the air conditioning perhaps.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
100% battery failure, get it back to the dealers ASAP.

Nah only kidding :)

Get yourself into the mindset that the GoM range indicator is not 100% accurate and is nothing more than an estimate. This will change week by week depending upon the season, local weather conditions and your driving style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys much appreciated, i so love this car its the best motor I've ever had by a mile and first electric one, there is a few months Jaguar warranty left so im going to get it checked by Dick Lovett a jag dealer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For what it's worth, all of us were first time EV owners at one point, so we do understand range anxiety... or more accurately, charger anxiety. If you are asking the dealer to do a general health check before the warranty expires fair enough. But if you are bringing it in to check why the GoM is down by 20ish miles then you are wasting your time and theirs to be frank.

Would you be asking them to check it if you suddenly saw the GoM jump up by the same amount?

Might be worth asking how much for an extended warranty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just wanted to add some annecdotal evidence on why a GoM is at best a rough aproximation and at worst almost useless. We took a drive to the seaside today in the E-Tron 55 that I had charged to 100% this morning. Sunny clear weather, 16.5c to 19c and mild breeze. So decent weather for EV efficiency.
  • At 9:30am it had 223 miles of estimated range at 100% SoC
  • When we began the trip it was 3:30pm and the GoM was showing 225 miles of range. This extra 3 miles is because the car was sitting in the sun most that time.
  • We drove 23 miles on purely B roads and arrived with the GoM showing 223 miles of range. Yep, we drove 23 miles but the GoM dropped only 2 miles.
  • We took a 38 mile scenic route back through the Mourne mountains, which is an uphill climb to 1300 ft, then back down again to home. At the top of the climb my GoM was showing 168 miles of range.
  • We arrived home with 75% SoC and 184 miles of range left and 61 miles driven.
  • Efficieny was 3.1 mi/kwH (32 kWh/100 mi in I-Pace speak). Average speed was 33mph.
If I were to charge it to 100% again it would show an estimated range of ~245 miles. Yet if I drove it on a motorway that 245 miles of "range" would drop like a stone. If I was not an experienced EV owner I would be appalled at this major discrepancy.

I watched a Youtube review of an I-Pace a few days back and a Canadian couple were disappointed that the car gave them 50 kilometres less range than the GoM had estimated. The thing is they also hinted that the trip they were "testing", was an out of the ordinary event from their normal driving/trips. I instantly knew that what they were describing was actually 100% normal. I would bet money they went from mostly urban/rural commutes to a long motorway trip and the GoM was simply readjusting in real time.

In fact my annecdote above shows how the GoM can also gain phantom range. As you gain experience with how conditions and driving style effect your range, you will find yourself "knowing" what range to expect and stop relying on the GoM. In fact you will eventually reach that state where you are right far more often than the GoM is. At that point range anxiety will be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the advice, i suppose practical experience and driving is the best teacher here, where are you based? I’m in the UK in the South West, a bit nervous with a 260mile round trip tomorrow, probably a stop at Chieveley services on the way back for a top up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am in Northern Ireland. A 260 mile round trip on mostly motorway in an I-Pace, will require a top-up of about 60 - 70 miles to leave a ~20 mile range buffer.

It is a good idea to have a plan B but contrary to myths, it does not take meticulous planning to do a long trip in an EV.

If you plan to stay for a number of hours a destination charger could do the job if there is one available? Though I suspect if your I-Pace is 2.5 years old, it has 7kW max AC charging. So you would need to be on a 7kW charger for about 3.5 hours at ~17 miles per hour charging speed.

You should be OK on a 50kW rapid charger for about 35 minutes, or about 15 minutes on a 150kW charger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that, we were in Christchurch last week for a short break i used a fast charger in a car park put on 80 miles in 40mins, should be ok at Motorway Services. What do you think of the i pace. Ive got the HSE with loads of extras and 22inch wheels, i just live it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't have an I-Pace yet, should be getting an lease HSE next month. I currently lease an E-Tron 50 but am using a loan E-Tron 55 while the charging ports on the 50 are repaired.

For reference and to avoid confusion (I had this myself at the start), there are threef typical types of charger. Home, fast and rapid.
  1. Home chargers are usually 7kW. Think chargers that will be used at work places, at home, or destination chargers such as hotels, supermarkets and shopping centres etc.
  2. Fast chargers are the AC ones that charge at up to 22kW, but most EVs will charge at 11kW (or only 7kW for older I-Pace pre 2020). These are the ones typically found in town car parks.
  3. Rapid chargers are 50kW, 125kW and 350kW. The I-Pace will charge at no more than 110kW even if you find the ver fast ones. These are typically found in Motorway service stations.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I nearly got caught out last week the route was Warwick, Yeovil, charge at Amesbury
started 238ml full charge, plenty of range.
Weather 8C, light rain, 70mph max, heater and wipers, I did make Amesbury but only just, I lost about 50 miles, low temperature and rain makes more difference than you think.

Reactions: KapilDev

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for that, we were in Christchurch last week for a short break i used a fast charger in a car park put on 80 miles in 40mins, should be ok at Motorway Services. What do you think of the i pace. Ive got the HSE with loads of extras and 22inch wheels, i just live it.
If you do want to maximise your range, one of the first things you should consider is downsizing your wheels. Saves a load of weight and adds (just a little bit) more comfortable ride.
My 22's have sat in storage for the past 3 years and will go back on just before it goes back to the leasing company.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts