• <t>First Edition (panoramic as standard)</t>

Votes: 21 17.5%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have ordered but not added the panoramic roof as I don't use it in the Evoque and always have the blind closed.

For those of you that ordered an Ipace did you opt for the panoramic roof?

Don't want to pay £950 For an option I'm not fussed about and I think may add a fair bit of weight to an already heavy car but I also don't want to regret it come re sale time if every else is spending them.

For those that placed an order lease help relieve my roof anxiety and let us all.know what you opted for?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm consciously planning not to include the panoramic roof in my build. This is not on cost grounds at all but because:

1. In sunny weather I suspect that there will be a significant amount of solar gain through the roof, which will cause the aircon to work harder and hence ultimately have a small effect on comfort and range. Since the roof has no blind, it's not possible to mitigate this effect.

2. I'm a little concerned about the vulnerability of the roof to eg stone damage and then how costly/difficult it might be to replace if damaged. (Which also might not be covered by insurance, given that it's not a windscreen and wouldn't be covered by warranty either, assuming that the damage was externally-caused, eg stone damage.)

3. There seem to be reports of the information screens being prone to reflections, partly caused via the glass roof.

I accept that the interior will be somewhat darker, but (a) not sure how big a deal this really is and (b) am specifying the light seats etc anyway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I ordered the panoramic roof. I have it in my Volvo and I like it. Even Volvo has a curtain for it, I seldom use it. Only in mid winter when temperatures drops below -20C. Mid summer sun isn't any problem here, maybe in southern places it might get bit hot.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had an Evoque with no glass roof, I now have a Discovery Sport with a panoramic glass roof, to be honest, I doubt I would specify it again, I never use the blind on mine now, and have also read about glare on screens etc on the I pace but not really sure if they are valid or not.

With regards insurance, I know of a few people who have had cracks, stone chips etc in their panoramic roofs on their DS, most have managed to get them replaced on their insurance, but it does depend on your insurance company and how they view it e.g. windscreen or other type cover

·
Registered
325 Posts
Also keep in mind that if you want to use a roof rack, you'd rather not order the panoramic roof. We are heavy kayakers, also on white water and have seen a couple of cars (different brands) with cracks in their panoramic roof due to heavy load combined with bumpy roads. Apparently there is some force on the roof due to the weight and instead of bending a bit like a normal roof, it just cracks... So never a panoramic roof for us!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Strike! No. 1 with black contrast roof. 😄😄😄

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the glass roof on my I-Pace. Was a bit skeptical since I had mixed experiences with it on our previous BMW.

So far I am impressed. Does not seem to add any extra noise. There are some reflections on the lower screen, bit since it is only used for climate settings it is no big deal.

If you drive alone mostly I would drop it, but with kids in the rear seat I think it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Initially I wasn't going to have the panoramic roof but that was when I was going for a white car with ebony / oyster leather trim. Now that I have changed my mind and gone for a grey car with ebony / ebony trim I added the roof because I felt it might look a bit sombre inside without. I have a panoramic roof in my Peugeot 3008 and I virtually never use the blind. It doesn't cause any reflection on the LCD display bit this is virtually vertical in the Peugeot and that may make a difference. I have had four cars now with panoramic roof and not once had any issue with chips or cracks but then I have never carried anything like a kayak either. The trouble with specifying this car is that it looks so good in most of the colours and combinations!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
When I had a test drive my friend, who was sitting in the back, found the reflection from the glass roof very distracting. He said it felt like having a huge mirror showing an upside down view of the front seats. Without a blind there is nothing you can do about that.
I have the full opening glass roof on my F-Pace and find I always keep the blind closed. The only time I use the roof is to keep the car cool whilst stationary and that is not often. I opened it for the first time in several weeks last week and it jammed partly open so I had to call out Jaguar Assist. While it is being fixed I have been loaned an E-Pace with a fixed roof and a blind. I can't see the point; particularly as this car has privacy glass and dark headlining. So I'm very pleased that I have not ordered the glass roof. The money is much better spent on a heads-up display!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've ordered a panoramic roof as well, if I find it to distracting i'll cover it up with a wrap...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love the panoramic roof. It gives more head room and a magnificent ambiance. It is not distracting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've ordered the glass roof. I have both a Thule towbar mounted cycle carrier and the Thule towbar mounted cargo rack. We done a tour from Finland and all round Denmark in the summer using the towbar mounted cargo rack in my A4 convertible, it worked ace. So I'm used to not using roof racks. Indeed I don't like roof racks because they affect airflow. The Thule cargo rack behind the back of vehicle is awesome. I just hope Jag releases a towbar for I-Pace. My dealer wasn't too sure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
FinlandTony said:
. I just hope Jag releases a towbar for I-Pace. My dealer wasn't too sure.
The towbar is already released and the first pictures of owners of an i-pace with towbar (with jaguar logo) can already be found on this forum!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am reviving this thread again, as I now have a MY21 on order, but I understand that the build is not yet locked-in. I originally decided against the panoramic roof (the typical "what's the point of a sun-roof you can't open?" logic). But now I am having second thoughts, as I have seen that many people have indeed included this feature in their builds. So I am looking for some new advice from those who have opted for it.

- My concerns for including it: possible over-heating in summer, glare on the screens, distracting reflections for rear passengers, not much benefit to driver/front passenger, no electric sliding shade (just a clip-on arrangement).
- My concerns for omitting it: potentially missing out on better ambiance in a dark cabin (I have ordered dark seats and headliner), better headroom for rear passengers(?),

BTW, I am coming from an F-Pace which had an opening roof. I rarely used (closed) the electric sliding shade on that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.