Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long wait is finally over, this Thursday I can pick up my I-pace at the dealer!
To ensure that it isn't stolen from the driveway within a week :) , I wondered if you could disable the keyless entry? Or do I have to keep my keys in an RF shielded key box.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wouter said:
The long wait is finally over, this Thursday I can pick up my I-pace at the dealer!
To ensure that it isn't stolen from the driveway within a week :) , I wondered if you could disable the keyless entry? Or do I have to keep my keys in an RF shielded key box.
This has been discussed in other topics:
https://www.ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=428

I would not see how it is possible to de-activate it considering you have no key to open the car nor start it. There are various solutions like Faraday pouches or keep your keys further away from front door & windows. My son and I did a test and the keys must be within 2 meters for the door to open whereby 1.5m-2m from the car it doesn't work 100%.

Based on that I am keeping the keys 5 meters away from any window/door that should be sufficient to avoid criminals picking up any signal.

G

·
So I need two biscuit tins at home (one for each key), a biscuit tin at work, and a biscuit tin to take into restaurants if I park outside? I can see that I am going to get fat on biscuits :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
... My son and I did a test and the keys must be within 2 meters for the door to open whereby 1.5m-2m from the car it doesn't work 100%.

Based on that I am keeping the keys 5 meters away from any window/door that should be sufficient to avoid criminals picking up any signal.
Are you sure that the (consumer) hardware these thieves use has the same sensitivity as your car? They seem to use tablets and phones which might be able to pick up a signal from a key further away. Haven't looked into it, though. For now, I will use a Faraday bag.

If you buy one, make sure you test it! A colleague of mine got one that didn't work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
I would not see how it is possible to de-activate it considering you have no key to open the car nor start it.
The problem is keyless-entry, not the key itself. If you disable keyless-entry you can still use the buttons on the key to open the car. I am not willing to give that up though, so I will use the Faraday bag at night.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
pavadeli said:
Are you sure that the (consumer) hardware these thieves use has the same sensitivity as your car? They seem to use tablets and phones which might be able to pick up a signal from a key further away. Haven't looked into it, though. For now, I will use a Faraday bag.

If you buy one, make sure you test it! A colleague of mine got one that didn't work.
No I am not - I didn't consider that the receiver in the car could be the limiting factor determining the distance. So far my assumption was that the signal from the key was the limiting factor hence the conclusion I drew - which very well could be wrong indeed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
pavadeli said:

No I am not - I didn't consider that the receiver in the car could be the limiting factor determining the distance. So far my assumption was that the signal from the key was the limiting factor hence the conclusion I drew - which very well could be wrong indeed.
Well, I'm sure the car limits the distance, not the key. The thieves' hardware could send out a more powerful signal that the key will most certainly pick up. Then the same hardware needs to be able to pick up the response of the key. The other thief will always stand within 1 meter of the car.

Some time ago there was a wave of car thefts in my neighborhood. They would silently break into the house, look for the car key for only a minute or two and then get out. Very "professional" and clean. They tried to enter my house as well but didn't succeed, fortunately. It happened only a few feet from the open window of my bedroom where I was asleep, so one can only marvel at their silent skills.

A Faraday bag will not help against that, I'm afraid. Hopefully, the integrated car-tracking is any good.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
pavadeli said:
Some time ago there was a wave of car thefts in my neighborhood. They would silently break into the house, look for the car key for only a minute or two and then get out. Very "professional" and clean. They tried to enter my house as well but didn't succeed, fortunately. It happened only a few feet from the open window of my bedroom where I was asleep, so one can only marvel at their silent skills.
Well that is what has me in doubt what is better - really hide the key which might result the thieves becoming violent against the residents to obtain the keys or having the key just in normal place - YES have your car stolen (insurance should cover as break into your house) but no violent / unpleasant interaction with criminals.

As you said - if they break into your house the whole Keyless entry discussion becomes pointless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jelle v/d Meer said:
pavadeli said:
Well that is what has me in doubt what is better - really hide the key which might result the thieves becoming violent against the residents to obtain the keys or having the key just in normal place - YES have your car stolen (insurance should cover as break into your house) but no violent / unpleasant interaction with criminals.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the I-pace really an interesting car for thieves?! I mean concidering that the avarage lowlife criminals (purchasers) wont be interested in the whole EV story with registered charging, limited range etc...eastern europe also still has a very poor charging infrastructure (not insinuating anything here ;) )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the I-pace really an interesting car for thieves?! I mean concidering that the avarage lowlife criminals (purchasers) wont be interested in the whole EV story with registered charging, limited range etc...eastern europe also still has a very poor charging infrastructure (not insinuating anything here ;) )
Tesla of my neighbor got stolen a while ago, Police mentioned that they are tearing it apart and sell it in parts in particular to the taxi industry.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
mjc said:
So I need two biscuit tins at home (one for each key), a biscuit tin at work, and a biscuit tin to take into restaurants if I park outside? I can see that I am going to get fat on biscuits :)
Well, I'd suggest parking a bit farther from the restaurant window and buy a tin big enough for two keys (you must buy really small biscuits). If you park that close to the office at work (lucky you) then yeah a second tin for there. But honestly, I think it's really at home overnight where the biggest risk is. One tin.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There was a recent report by ADAC and the I pace is one of only a few vehicles that can't be opened in this way so I would worry too much about biscuit tins. By all means use an extra layer of security by storing the key in a pouch.

·
Registered
528 Posts
pavadeli said:
Jelle v/d Meer said:
pavadeli said:

Well, I'm sure the car limits the distance, not the key. The thieves' hardware could send out a more powerful signal that the key will most certainly pick up. Then the same hardware needs to be able to pick up the response of the key. The other thief will always stand within 1 meter of the car.

A Faraday bag will not help against that, I'm afraid. Hopefully, the integrated car-tracking is any good.
both triggering & collecting the signal with a sniffer depends of course on both the key and the sniffer.

Since we don't know anything about the sniffer equipment, it is impossible to use the behaviour of the car-key combination to make any form of comparison.

"Well, I'm sure the car limits the distance, not the key...." this is a misconception about RF link budgets: it is an RF transmit-receive system so neither one nor the other limits the distance. More powerful key transmitter = longer range. More powerful car receiver = longer range. Both are equally important. Change the receiver (eg use a sniffer receiver instead of a JLR car receiver) and the whole thing changes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
.... as a side note, on my car order there is now a costed option for an increased level of security (this option wasn't in the configurator last year).

It costs about 250 Euros, and links the specific physical keys that have been delivered to the car. Even if a thief steals the entry codes using a sniffer and drives away, the car somehow knows that the registered physical key is not present and alerts the tracker alarm centre.

I don't know the technology used of how this works or why it beats the sniffer, but it is an option.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Billy Bunter said:
.... as a side note, on my car order there is now a costed option for an increased level of security (this option wasn't in the configurator last year).

It costs about 250 Euros, and links the specific physical keys that have been delivered to the car. Even if a thief steals the entry codes using a sniffer and drives away, the car somehow knows that the registered physical key is not present and alerts the tracker alarm centre.

I don't know the technology used of how this works or why it beats the sniffer, but it is an option.
As stated previously, the I-Pace, in common with the Range Rover and the Discovery, cannot be taken using this method.

No need to worry, at least about this type of theft.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Chewy said:
As stated previously, the I-Pace, in common with the Range Rover and the Discovery, cannot be taken using this method.

No need to worry, at least about this type of theft.
At least until the criminals upgrade their equipment. Security is no different than other cars. Only the type of signal is different. It hops via different frequencies like Bluetooth. And for Bluetooth, sniffers are already available that hop the frequencies in same order as sender/receiver. So this is more or less security by obscurity and time will proof that. But for now, it is indeed incompatible with the known criminal tools.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts