Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Folks,
Audi dealer invited me to go & discuss the E-Tron as was one of the first depositors.
Prices in UK are as follows:
拢71490
Launch Edition 拢82240
Edition 1: 拢89490. Only 30 available in UK & for depositors only. Thinking about it alongside I Pace馃
Deliveries anticipated early Spring 2019.
Warm regards

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funnily enough did ask & he told me will talk about it once they have confirmed dates on deliveries. From the conversation think so.
Not too sure about Edition 1 as they only 30 have been allocated for UK.

Registered
First test by Dutch car-journalists shows app. 300km of real range with a 100% SoC for the E-tron - tested in Abu Dhabi - In top conditions: 25C, not much highway driving. Real range on long trips (with multiple chargers) will be circa 200km. In bad weather conditions it's lower (given that you probably will not charge above 80% and prefer to arrive at no lower than 10% SoC as a reserve). Audi itself even calls the E-tron not-a-car-for-the autobahn. Obviously that might not be of an issue depending on your driving characteristics.

Registered
A fairly comprehensive review in Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/12/weve-driven-audis-first-proper-electric-car-the-2019-e-tron-suv/

Basically, its only upside compared to the I-Pace is larger cargo capacity. And its design is crushingly boring. I can see getting one of these if you have to haul lots of cargo, but you're not going to have nearly as much fun.

I confess, every time another plausible BEV comes along I read the first reviews with some trepidation, worried that I'll end up regretting the Jag order. So far, hasn't happened. On the other hand, since I've been driving Audi since 2003, I'm a little sad they couldn't bring some inspiration to the table.

Registered
timbray said:
Basically, its only upside compared to the I-Pace is larger cargo capacity.
No. The charge rate is on another planet. Almost twice as much. 150kw vs 80kw.

Registered
FENorway said:
timbray said:
And supporting up to 22kw AC (optional) is a great advantage as well as you will use AC charging most of the times anyway. I really hope my 5.5kw at home will be sufficient most of the times, but could have been easily doubled to 11kw or more with an E-Tron. My office supports 22kw, while I-pace takes only slightly more than 7.... Quite frustrating for a power hungry car.

Registered
Snoerd said:
FENorway said:
timbray said:
And supporting up to 22kw AC (optional) is a great advantage as well as you will use AC charging most of the times anyway. I really hope my 5.5kw at home will be sufficient most of the times, but could have been easily doubled to 11kw or more with an E-Tron. My office supports 22kw, while I-pace takes only slightly more than 7.... Quite frustrating for a power hungry car.
And its interior design (subjective) and quality (e.g screens), sound isolation (according to Autogefuhl) and I expect superior driver assist technology. With fast charging and large storage space, overall practicality seems high also.

Registered
I went to see etron while it was here in the local dealer. Can't say that cargo space is significantly bigger than I-Pace. Back seats has bit more room but the most important driver's seat wasn't as comfortable as in I-Pace. Seat's itself are OK but I couldn't find that relaxing position in it as I do in my Volvo or in I-Pace. Design is matter of taste and while screen layout is similar that JRL using (double screen), I'd like I-Pace better (not to mention Velar). What comes usability, poking few minutes enron's screens I found out that I needed to hit it few times to make it to do what I wanted. So it was either slow to react or bad to recognize my pokes. And I wasn't only one who find that out, few other says same in Finnish EV group. Maybe preproduction problem as I-Pace had. So only feature that matters is 22kW AC charger option, fast DC charging isn't much help here when nearest 150kW charger is 400 km away.

Furthermore, I consider that this topic should be in Offtopics :)

Registered
Well it looks pretty dull & I certainly don't regret my Ipace order. The extra 5 kw/h battery doesn't seem to offset the weight difference & 200 miles (cnet real range estimate) in 25C temps will be drastically reduced in colder climate winters. Does anybody know how it compares with the Ipace from a drag perspective, it doesn't look very "slippery".
I am sure it will be built to the usual Audi standards but I can't see much that makes it attractive to me.

Registered
I don't know if this is true, I know you can't trust the journalists sometimes (if true, I am 100 % sure the i pace gets better range due to lower weight and lower cd)

"
The biggest change to the car's aero flow, though, is the removal of the side mirrors - something Audi's Stefan Dietz called "the dream of aerodynamicists for ages" - for rear-view cameras that Audi calls virtual mirrors. This change was responsible for a .05 improvement in the e-tron's cD number, letting it reach an impressive 0.27. Of course, since these sorts of side cameras are not legal in the U.S., the model here may have a cD of around .32.
"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianblanco/2018/09/18/audi-e-tron-electric-suv-reveal/#13537be3236d

Registered
No option for me. The design work is like.... more of the same... like almost every model of this brand.

Registered
I currently have an A3 etron. Great little car, but I knew it was a transition car for me (which is why I leased it). I was fully expecting that the etron SUV would be a contender for the A3 replacement, but it turned out not to be, for several reasons. One, it is a design compromise. For example, why is the snout so long? Its exterior dimensions could be smaller for the same amount of interior room. Two, I like Audis in general but the looks of this one are sooo boring! It's outright ugly IMO. Three, the performance is underwhelming (except perhaps the charging .. kudos to Audi for making that a priority).

Luckily the iPace came along and I've known ever since the incredibly engaging and informative interview of Ian Hoban and Ian Callum by Jonny Smith that it would be the right car for me (find it on youtube if you haven't seen it). Since then the positive reviews and the awards have just been piling up. Happy to deal with the early adopter bugs given how great of a car this is.

Registered
Chimpils said:
I don't know if this is true, I know you can't trust the journalists sometimes (if true, I am 100 % sure the i pace gets better range due to lower weight and lower cd)

"
The biggest change to the car's aero flow, though, is the removal of the side mirrors - something Audi's Stefan Dietz called "the dream of aerodynamicists for ages" - for rear-view cameras that Audi calls virtual mirrors. This change was responsible for a .05 improvement in the e-tron's cD number, letting it reach an impressive 0.27. Of course, since these sorts of side cameras are not legal in the U.S., the model here may have a cD of around .32.
"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianblanco/2018/09/18/audi-e-tron-electric-suv-reveal/#13537be3236d
a 20% increase in air drag due to 2 side mirrors !?
no. complete nonsense.

If it were true then the mirrors would be being ripped off by all that air drag. Just try bending one back with 2 fingers to gauge the strength of those mirror springs ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts