Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having driven i-Pace yesterday, I'm somewhat confused by one of the more basic functions of the car - the electronic parking brake.

Coming from Audis which I've driven for two decades, I'm used to never ever having to touch a switch for the EPB - when leaving the house for example, it's climb in the car, press start, put into reverse and press the throttle pedal - the car automatically releases the EPB. Now this functionality is the same for i-Pace.

However, I then came to a standstill at traffic lights in i-Pace, took my foot off the brake and the car crept forward, so I had to either put my foot on the brake, or press a switch below the light switch. In Audis, you stop at lights, you take your foot off the brake and the EPB is automatically kept on until you pull away.

Am I missing something of the functionality - or do I really have to either keep my foot on the brake, blinding those behind me, or do I have to press a button each time? I believe this is the same for most new Jaguars, so perhaps a seasoned E- or F-Pace driver can enlighten me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Propbaly a creep mode was on. Settings for one pedal drive is that creep mode, which is like old automatic ICE, or a stop mode when the car stops if you take your foot off the pedal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I've read in the manual that on an incline (up or down), the car will hold itself, so it would be odd for it not to do the same on the flat.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks MiCohi for raising the question and answering mine in the process.

Like MjrPayne indeed said very likely creep mode was on - it will be something I will have switched off but then indeed got concerned about standing still at traffic light on a incline/decline if I then need to hold the brake or not.

Very happy to hear that the manual indicates the car will hold itself (forgot to test that during my test drive) - it does raise the question how this would then work when you are in the mountains and actually want to car the coast down the hill just on gravity.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Going downhill in mountains you need to regulate your speed with a pedal or a cruise control. Or then switch of regen and use brakes to slow down if going too fast. My choice would be setting regen to max and use the cruise control. Or if you go offroading, then use downhill control.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now I have my i-pace I can confirm that "Brake Hold" does not work if you are going downhill, unlike the equivalent Audi functionality which will always activate brake hold when you stop.

I had a bad experience the first time I used this downhill, as when I took my foot off the brake the i-pace rolled forward towards the car queuing in front of me.

Brake Hold does work on an incline which is what the manual says, but it is dangerous and non intuitive not to work downhill.

So beware. Keep your foot on the brake, or press "P" or put the Electronic Parking Brake on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On RHD it is a silver lever with a Black "P" alongside the internal buttons for boot and bonnet just to the right of the steering wheel. I think it is badly positioned - I have to stretch too far to reach it.

Yours will be the mirror image - There is a picture included in post 6 of this thread.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes I found it. So with this it activates the automatic parking ? Or u have to use it each time u want the park break ? The manual (8n french) is not very clear.
It's like to setup the opening high of the tailgate. The manual says that u have to wait at least 2 seconds when the tailgate is at the desired high then press the close button. But in fact u have to press the close button for 2 seconds . I bumped my tailgate on my basement roof because of that mistake .... But at least no damages. Maybe a translation mistake.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It seems like mine is activated easily. Just release the brake pedal and then push it again once. The car maintains it position waiting for a traffic light (for example). Haven't tried this down hill. But I can confirm that my car will stop rolling backwards if I do this. Oh, creep mode disabled

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's one of the (small number of) things I dislike on the iPace - it's a bit of a stretch to reach the parking brake button - much easier on the i3. And the brake hold feature I think only lasts for a few second and then releases, so no good for any stop more than a few seconds. It did occur to me that popping in Park is easy (that actuated the parking brake automatically), but you would then I think have to put foot on brake pedal to select drive to move off again, which will flash the brake lights just before you go

G

·
I have an automatic ICE jaguar and haven't used the parking brake for over three years - sounds like I will not have to start learning for the I-pace :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Audi's have hill hold, not to be mistaken with hill hold assist. If you push the break all the way down when at a stand still this illuminated a green light on the dashboard and the car won't move.

Mercs, Tesla's and volvos have this amounts otheres. I do think any jlr product has it which is a shame cos it's lovely.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The I-Pace does do the same
Press the brake pedal , on any direction sloping road when you come to a stop , and READY will be illuminated , in green , on the top centre of the speedo
The temporary brake is now applied , so you can lift your foot off any pedal and you wont move .
To move off simply press the accelerator again

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
malcolm said:
The I-Pace does do the same
Press the brake pedal , on any direction sloping road when you come to a stop , and READY will be illuminated , in green , on the top centre of the speedo
The temporary brake is now applied , so you can lift your foot off any pedal and you wont move .
To move off simply press the accelerator again
That doesn't seem to always work is my own experience - specifically on downhill slopes or when you come to a rolling stop despite pressing the brake after stopping and "ready" popping up in HUD.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
malcolm said:
I shall check it out again on my next journey ,
are you guys driving with creep on or off
Creep off - I hate creep it creeps me out :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts