Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell from experience whether EVs have a battery reserve the same way ICE cars have a fuel reserve?

Surely there is some sort of security built in to prevent customers from getting stranded once the range indicator reaches 0, right?

Would be great if you guys can share experiences on this even if it includes some embarrassing stories :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am aware that the Merc B250e has a reserve of about 10 miles when the indicator hits zero. However, it's not good practise to regularly deplete the battery so much, in a similar way to when you run a tank dry you will ingest all the rubbish at the bottom onto the fuel filter.

Whether the Jag has a similar reserve, I don't know for sure, but I'll be doing my best never to find out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the Leaf the car will show 0 km left and continue at very low speed on limp mode for 2-3 km max. Not a good idea to test the limit and not good for the battery either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
r0bs0n said:
Can anyone tell from experience whether EVs have a battery reserve the same way ICE cars have a fuel reserve?
You may find this Spanish video production (in English language) useful, it covers the very thing you are asking about, including the I-Pace . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
catwoman said:
r0bs0n said:
You may find this Spanish video production (in English language) useful, it covers the very thing you are asking about, including the I-Pace . .

Great video, really helpful, thanks!

Let's hope the i-pace production model can find some more range.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I seem to remember around about 1st March when the I-Pace was launched that a Jaguar engineer said that because they expect most I-Pace owners to be coming from ICE cars they have built in a 25 mile reserve into the range meter - so zero means 25 miles left.

Initially I thought great, just like an ICE - zero doesn't mean zero - however now I'm starting to think maybe this could be the reason why the I-Pace is not getting near its expected range.

Does anyone know what's involve in the WLTP tests and would this reserve have been included in that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't imagine there will be a 25 mile reserve, or indeed any reserve. There was a lot of confusion because the battery is 90kWh but some of that is "reserved" for battery maintenance. So basically you can charge the battery to full without affecting its life (not an advice) was the theory - I don't know whether JLR are still saying that fully charging is fine - I imagine not because you lose out on battery recharging when the battery is full (unless ...nah) - like I say lots of confusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts