Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting a new thread to prevent taking over the "Rear Brake Disc Corrosion" thread.

In that thread there has been discussion around how the rear pads are wearing quicker than the fronts due to pad dragging, with the auto hand-brake, and traction control.

I have taken photos showing the difference in pad wear after 15k miles - front pads approx 11mm left and rear pads approx 4.5mm left. Yes, that's right, only 4.5mm on the rear pads. In both photos the brake disc is on the right of the photo with the tape-measure butted against the disc.

Is it excessive pad wear on the rears? Hoping similar-mileage I Paces have similar levels of pad wear. Needless to say, I will be replacing them within the next 5k miles. Hopefully EBC will have their "EV" pads available, due in 2022 they tell me.

I guess this is also an issue for ICE vehicles and that EV braking regeneration only goes to slow pad wear. Were it not for regeneration, the rear pads would have already worn out!!!

Does the I Pace have wear sensors?

Front Brake Disc and Pad:
Temperature Measuring instrument Font Gas Auto part

Rear Brake Disc and Pad:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tape measure Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I saw them whilst taking the picture of the pads last week lol.
yellow cable and only one per axel. Mine were front left and right rear.
but at about £25 a pop if the pads low change them before you wear into it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barthog24, thanks for the info. For the wear sensor, is it an easy change from old pads to new? I have found in the past that these wear sensors are quite brittle and break easily if you try to remove them.

Can't find any YouTube clips of people changing the rear pads, anything special to look out for or just a standard change?

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found another thread on excessive rear pad wear. No-one with quite as much rear pad wear as mine :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tallphil,
I am talking from experience on my F pace earlier this year. looking at my Ipace and the setup is the same.

Tools for Pads, req Hex socket for removing Caliper Bolts one was 11mm for F pace! Front was different so check and order before starting if you dont have as I found out.
We’ll know car Accessory shop. Has them.
If replacing Disc then Star spline needed plenty off WD to help release as pretty tight just go easy back off forwards etc (normal thread)
Copper grease
Brake caliper rewind tool £13 Screw*****x others available.

Fronts normal pad/disk swap and yes the sensors are brittle be gentle and watch out for tiny spring clip has to be in place before pushing back onto new pads.
Rear main stumble was figuring the Automatic Hand Brake and how to release, many options on web,
simple for I Pace look in IPace Guide full instructions there.
you basically turn them off in the released position no need to remove motors as in other posts.
and they reset on pumping brake after fitting.
I can Recomended the Green stuff pads and the initial coating is V abrasive and should clear a lot of the rust if you have that during break in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barthog24, brilliant, thanks for the reply. Just one question, which IPace Guide are you referring to in your post? Thanks again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just taken delivery of some new rear pads, EBC Greenstuff. New rear pads come with 9mm of friction material so my current pads are "only" half worn, not :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry thought it was in I-Guide,
follow this link.

haven’t tried myself just off away for the weekend, if someone wants to give it a go or I will when home and post.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks, got that one. Useful to know the brakes are the same as the F-Pace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts