Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, perhaps someone smarter than me can understand this. The I-Pace is suppose to:

- Charge from 0-80% in 40 minutes
- Charge 100km in 15 minutes

based on a Fast DC charger capable of 100kW. Now, assuming a WLTP range of 480km, I did some calculations.

if the first statement is true, the I-Pace should be able to charge 144km in 15 minutes. Or 100km in 10-11 minutes. But if the second statement is true, the i-Pace charges from 0-80% in 57-58 minutes.

Also (and I am not an expert on this) I always believed that a 100kW charger is able to charge a battery max. 100kW and hour. I guess even a bit less due to efficiency/heat etc. This means that the maximum that can be charged by a 100kW charger in 40 minutes is 66-67kW. 80% of 90kW is 72kW.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
32 Posts
a range of 480 km is not really realistic, I think that in this case you have to assume the realistic range is about 340 km and then the calculation is correct. furthermore, the available battery capacity is about 85-87 kW according to various sources.

·
Registered
755 Posts
A German test of the fast charging abilities of the I-Pace was rather disappointing. The charging speed was max 83 kw. They where not able to get more than 200A. That was on a 350 kw charger. So either the car or the charger must have a limitation. The car was btw a Prototype.
They also measured the power consumption on North German and South Danish roads. This also was a huge disappointment. 28,9 kwh/100km on average, compared to 20,0 kwh/100km fir a Tesla S driven the same route at the same time.
If the fast charging and consumption is as bad as this I will cancel my order for the I-Pace. 45% more consumption than the Model S indicates that JLR have made almost everything wrong when it comes to aerodynamics and power management.

G

·
FENorway said:
The car was btw a Prototype.
When I spoke to Jaguar at the fully charged show, they clearly said the Prototype's do not rapid charge well as limitations with some of the prototype tech and the software not being optimal.

As for the consumption:-
FENorway said:
The car was btw a Prototype.
If I was you I would wait until these testers / youtubers get a full release version, or just cancel your order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If Jaguar is aware of such limitations, they should demand from testers to put disclaimer, or plainly not allow any further test drives.

I am quite concerned that this is what we will get, and now suddenly Tesla looks much more appealing despite service and quality issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There seems to be a serious issue of consumption and range at least with pre-series/prototipes. In this video, in Spanish,
www.coches.net/videos/vehiculos-electricos-autonomia-real, a Car Magazine tests real autonomy of EVs until their battery is really dead. They do that twice with sevesal models (e-golf, i3, ioniq, Zoe, Tesla S, Tesla X and i-pace) on the same route and days and with very little high speed highway driving. The guys get the cars in a circuit at 60 km/h after the road test and actually exhaust the batteries until they have to push the cars to their parking. Quite funny to watch.

Although they insist a lot that the i-pace they tested (minute 15:50 of the video, fpr those of you that understand Spanish) is a prototype, the results for the i-pace are appalling: 27,5 kWh consumed on average (that is 40% more than a ModelS), 313 km of range (average between the two test drives) and the lowest proportion of all the claimed WLTP range of all testes models, with only 65% when others reached easily 90% of their claimed WLTP ranges.

Quite surprising and reason enough to cancel my order if these results are onfirmed with production versions of the I-pace, Don't you think?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yes that makes you doubt, the results are similar to those of Dirk Henningsen. how much can Jaguar optimize? 5% maybe 15%, it will not be much more, I think. or is it 30 or more percent but does the driving experience suffer from it? we do not know.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don t understand how it can be so bad.
They have the best efficient motors, almost the same battery than the bolt, same weight than tesla and the cx is less important at lower speeds.
Very strange if its the same on production models.
Maybe the DC/AC convector is very bad ...But 40% omg !
But they dud so much comments on how they optimised the efficiency at all stages.
I saw a video where the driver said it was at 18kw/100km on normal driving.
Here :

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's no denying it is worrying. However, the extremely negative reports I have seen like the ones above have all been on prototype cars. The latest Auto Express review was done on UK roads with, as far as I can tell, a production ready First Edition model and they quote:-

"When we first tried the all-new Jaguar I-Pace in Portugal last month, we declared it "the best electric car on sale". But as with any brand-new model, our definitive verdict always hinges on our first drive on UK roads.

Less than four weeks later and we've got Jaguar's first electric car on British tarmac - in fully laden First Edition trim. There's only one 'engine' to choose from at the moment: the 396bhp 90kWh EV400, which offers a 298-mile range (WLTP) in around 12 hours from a 7kW home charger.

On our UK road route, that predicted electric range stayed relatively true - even after several miles of sustained high speed driving and numerous full throttle starts. As a family SUV, many buyers will be looking to use an I-Pace as their only vehicle, so it's good to know the quoted mileage isn't wildly unrealistic."

Don't get me wrong, I am concerned but so far I'm happy to wait for more information.

G

·
It does seem that the I-Pace efficiency appears lower than the Tesla models, but not by as much as the 40% you mention.

Wikipedia numbers for the Model S shows between 20 and 25 kWHr per 100Km, so the I-Pace numbers look about 20% higher. I don't know how much of the problem may be specific to the Pre-Production demonstrators, or if the problem will persist.

If you want the most efficient car you should probably go for the Tesla, but for my usage the I-Pace has enough practical range, and I will stick with it (providing my delivery doesn't slip further - life's too short)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry: what I meant about 40% relates to comparison with the real range shown in the Spanish test by by the Model S, which showed 400km of actual range with a consumption of 20 kWh in those test conditions.

G

·
The Tesla real world range is certainly impressive, but they were testing the P100D, and my budget would only stretch to a P75D for otherwise comparable spec (Air Suspension, great sound etc.). But I would still probably have to swallow a 20% differential in range. Maybe the inefficiency of the Jaguar lies in its regeneration technology.

G

·
I know its only available in the UK, but the Go I-Pace App is telling me I will get less than 320km range out of the I-Pace, based on my driving pattern.

·
Registered
243 Posts
mjc said:
I know its only available in the UK, but the Go I-Pace App is telling me I will get less than 320km range out of the I-Pace, based on my driving pattern.
Mine is saying much the same (194 miles actually) but only a few (8) journey legs so far. But I'm not 100% convinced that the app is logging the full length of each leg - some journeys don't seem to show up immediately or in full, although at least some of these appear to catch up later. I'm not really bothered enough to do a detailed analysis of what the app is capturing and what it might be missing. I'll take what it says as maybe a minimum range to expect.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi,

This guy did a road-trip with the ipace to Berlin. Before departure, he went to a fastcharger for a top-off.
Unfortunately he was (we are) not able to stay in the car while charging!? Hopefully this can be configured manually, else you have to wait outside the car during charing on long trips??

Link (unfortunately in Dutch, with a good dialect, but you can have automatic subtitles.)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Journalists said it as lower regen because they only took in acount the regen with the accelerator. But its only half of the i pace regen. Other half comes from the brake pedal that the tesla doesn do. So with both combined their is 0.4 g deceleration with regen. I think its at least equal to the tesla, maybe even more.
So no i don t think it comes from regen.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Bart said:
Hi,

This guy did a road-trip with the ipace to Berlin. Before departure, he went to a fastcharger for a top-off.
Unfortunately he was (we are) not able to stay in the car while charging!? Hopefully this can be configured manually, else you have to wait outside the car during charing on long trips??

Link (unfortunately in Dutch, with a good dialect, but you can have automatic subtitles.)
That is also a prototype. Jaguar says the software in the prototypes are not the final one.

G

·
mjc said:
That means nothing without context.
How many Km/Miles per day do you do on rural roads / City / Motorways?

For Example, if 320km range is based on your daily commute to work and 90% of that is on motorways at 120-140km/h ... then that's good a range. If however it's based on 100% city driving then it would seem bad (unless the APP doesn't take into account Max Regen Braking).

Can you elaborate on what roads you generally drive on, and if peak/off-peak times ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What we DO know for 100% is that :-

1. A major car magazine did a 295 miles range on a full charge, doing 42mph on the motorway and hypermiling in a full production First Edition.

2. That the Prototypes were at 125-150 miles (200-240km) range when used on the track all day - seen in youtube videos.

3. That the expected normal average range is 200-250 miles (320-400km) range based on mixed roads and weather conditions - based on most reviews.

Either accept that the MIN range will be 150miles (240km) if you have 4 people, boot full of luggage, AC on max, kids in the back charging their iPads, etc... and buy an I-Pace, or don't accept it and get another EV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally IMHO comparing it to a 75d Model S (Rear Wheel Only) vs a 90kw Jag with AWD is really dumb. The Jag weighs more and is AWD. It seems to me there the majority of people here are trying to sift through all the data and get the real figures and have a good discussion about range.
However there are a few people here that are scaremongering (some only registered within the past few days oddly enough) which isn't helping when trying to find out the real facts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gdank said:
Finally IMHO comparing it to a 75d Model S (Rear Wheel Only) vs a 90kw Jag with AWD is really dumb.
I'm not into playing comparisons and I have chosen I-Pace over any Tesla for a number of reasons - so don't get me wrong - but I think the D in Tesla models numbers are for Dual motors. Are these two motors (one per wheel) on the rear axle? Or are these one at the front, and one at the rear (which should qualify for some AWD)?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts