Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me the biggest concern when (in the future) driving my I-Pace is the absence of a reliable fast charging (100kw) network.

Thankfully Ionity is working hard to solve this problem. I am checking their website on a daily basis and notice that the number of locations is increasing fast. Currently they have 9 stations in operation and 7 under construction.

By the time most of us have our IPace hopefully this has increased to c.50

Keep up the good work Ionity!

Www.ionity.eu

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Pete said:
For me the biggest concern when (in the future) driving my I-Pace is the absence of a reliable fast charging (100kw) network.

Thankfully Ionity is working hard to solve this problem. I am checking their website on a daily basis and notice that the number of locations is increasing fast. Currently they have 9 stations in operation and 7 under construction.

By the time most of us have our IPace hopefully this has increased to c.50

Keep up the good work Ionity!

Www.ionity.eu
The more parties joining the super chargers the better - Fastned is also expanding and upgrading and also started outside NL borders. I am feeling confident that by start 2021 there will be such a network of super chargers that you drive all routes to the main holidays destinations.

That said my bigger concern that the number of supercharge locations is the faster growing BEV population thus resulting in waiting for free supercharger which unlike normal petrolstation the wait is much longer. Highway petrolstation are pretty much every 50-100km on both sides and usually with 15+ pumps. Ionity is building a network but each station only has 6 chargers.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Do Ionity have plans to install a network in the UK does anyone know, couldn't find anything on their website.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
ChrisMc said:
Do Ionity have plans to install a network in the UK does anyone know, couldn't find anything on their website.
Yes they wanted to install a network all across Europe in the major markets which I assumr would include UK. Just not sure if there might be delays in investing till there is more clarity with Brexit. But would also expect that local providrs in UK would start to install super chargers.

In NL which seems to be a front runnng country we see more and more parties including the big oil companies slowly starting to get interested and planning to add chargers to that petrol station. It would be a relative cheap investment as all the infrastructure is almost there except the chargers.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks Jelle, yes some large oil companies are installing chargers on their petrol station forecourts over here too.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
ChrisMc said:
Thanks Jelle, yes some large oil companies are installing chargers on their petrol station forecourts over here too.
News article today (sorry in Dutch) - that Shell wants to place 500 350kW Ionity at 80 highway fuel stations across Europe with more less powerful chargers at more stations.
https://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws/shell-richt-zich-op-laadpalen-bij-tankstation-2/

Same article sadly also shows that Shell does not yet really get it and their pace is incredible SLOW for a multi billion profit per quarter company.
"In 2025, the company wants electric cars to be able to charge at 1,500 stations, about one-fifth of Shell's total in Europe."

At very tiny cost Shell could have all stations with chargers, just a simple calculation, Shell has 7,500 stations and they put 2 DC chargers per station = 15,000 chargers at €10k per charger that is ONLY €150 million of an investment which is absolutely peanuts for Shell. Yes I know there is maintenance and network cost but that is tiny compared to the already existing operating expenses of a fuel station, for me it showed how smart Tesla was to install their own network because if gave Tesla a HUGE sales advantage or even it enabled them to sell their cars. Looking at the cost to install those chargers it is peanuts in the overall cost of setting up factories, battery plants etc.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Interesting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts