Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last wednesday my first trip outside the Netherlands with my I-pace was a complete disaster.... just before the border did some fast charging in the Netherlands which went fine. But in Germany I was unable to use a fastcharger, I tried 3 different chargers (Allego, Innogy, EnBW)! So ended up using a slowcharger but that also caused problems.

The fastchargers, first none accepted my card (I have Nuon and Maingau) so I needed to install an App for each provider and pay by creditcard. After I paid the charging process tried to start but stopped in all 3 locations 'initializing'. Only Allego had an phonenumber on the chargingstation so I called and the operator informed me there is a known issues with the fastcharger they are using and the I-pace. A patch is available and will be deployed on November 15th to there fastchargers??? Anoyne heard of any issues with fast chargers, I googled but couldn't find anything.

The slowchargers (11/22kw) also caused issues. the first just stopped after 40 min. The second one activated the alarm on the I-pace. First I thouhgt there was a theft action so I stayed with the car and after a couple of minutes the alarm activated again so I was called by the Tracking Call centre. So I decided to stay in the car but with doors closed the alarm was activated again... ended up charging with the door open and after 2 hours just had enough energy to reach the first fastcharger (Fastned) in the Netherlands which worked like a charm again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Very unpleasant first experience indeed!
I have a NewMotion card which works fine almost everywhere and the EinfachStromLaden card (Maingau) also worked fine in Germany sofar on Allego, EnBw.
Please note that if possible to reach that, the free Lidl, Aldi or Ikea chargers offer 50kw charging. Some will only charge or can only be reached at opening times, some 24/7. They are only visible on the ChargeEv app (which gets it information from the website www.goingelectric.de
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
For fast charging and normal charging in Germany (but also for the rest of Europe) I can highly recommend to use Plugsurfing. This provider will almost always help out if other charge cards don't work. Plugsurfing has the largest and best roaming agreements with many charging providers throughout Europe.

Plugsurfing (Plugsurfing.com) has an app (also available as a Jaguar branded app*) that you can start and stop most charging sessions with. The app also shows available charging points on a map. You can also get a free Plugsurfing charge card/dongle. Once you have set up your account and payment method inside the app you are ready to go (charging :D ).

*) Plugsurfing partners with Jaguar by the way for the on-board data on charge points and the 'Jaguar Public Charging' app - which is in fact a Jaguar branded Plugsurfing app. So you can also choose to use the Jaguar version of the app.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
DrPhil said:
Very unpleasant first experience indeed!
I have a NewMotion card which works fine almost everywhere and the EinfachStromLaden card (Maingau) also worked fine in Germany sofar on Allego, EnBw.
Please note that if possible to reach that, the free Lidl, Aldi or Ikea chargers offer 50kw charging. Some will only charge or can only be reached at opening times, some 24/7. They are only visible on the ChargeEv app (which gets it information from the website www.goingelectric.de)

More information in Dutch language on free chargers in NL and Germany https://www.leaseblog.nl/blog/gratis-snelladen-bij-de-lidl-en-bij-de-aldi-overzicht-van-alle-locaties/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good tips, I allready had the Jaguar Public charging app but didn't realise I could pay with this app.

However my main concern is that I was unable to charge at 3 different fastcharger, after I succesfully paid the charging tried to start failed at initializing. I haven't read any other bad experiences with fast charging so I wonder if it is problem with my car. However fastcharging in NL works like a charm. Made an appointment with the dealer to check the car also why the alarm started several times when connected to a german (slow) charger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The alarm setting off is odd too. Did the call centre say what had tripped the alarm?

I haven't heard of any issues with those (Siemens?) chargers. Used them ok myself. Are you planning on testing out some other chargers in your car or has the experience put you off going anywhere?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alarm centre and my app gave an error on cable unexpected disconnected. This was very strange since the (slow) charging did continue.

And yes I will definitely test other charges since I am planning this summer to go to France with the family. I have regular business trips to Germany so will test it next time but will make sure I will visit the last fast charger before the border :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Today I briefly glanced through a Dutch car magazine, Autovisie, and they had a short article on driving long distances with the I-Pace in Germany. And it was a world of pain, at several charging station their various charging key, credit credit etc did not work at all. Calling the sport number didn't do anything so the limped off to a 3.7kW (or something) charger to get some juice and try to get to the next one, which also didn't work.

Is the fast charging network only working in NL and are all other countries rubbish? And where are the German I-Pace drivers btw?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
mca2 said:
Today I briefly glanced through a Dutch car magazine, Autovisie, and they had a short article on driving long distances with the I-Pace in Germany. And it was a world of pain, at several charging station their various charging key, credit credit etc did not work at all. Calling the sport number didn't do anything so the limped off to a 3.7kW (or something) charger to get some juice and try to get to the next one, which also didn't work.

Is the fast charging network only working in NL and are all other countries rubbish? And where are the German I-Pace drivers btw?
22 I-paces sold in Germany YTD - so probably not a lot of German I-pace drivers or folks waiting on their DE I-pace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I only tried one fastcharging-point in Germany (Ionity close to Magdeburg) and it was a complete disaster! At least 2 of the stations did not accept the Maingau-card. The hotline-lady was friendly but useless. So I moved to to closeby 50kw-station.

Error reports for this station are common, but I don't if only Maingau-users have the problems. I also don't know what's going on at the other Ionity-stations...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I am probably (hopefully) going to receive my I-pace within the next two weeks or so. Just after Christmas I'm planning to drive from home (Heerlen NL) to Uttendorf in Austria. This is about 837 km's. Although I dont mind a bitt of adventure, fact is that I will be carrying my family along with me.. my wife and three daughters in age 11, 4 and 2. When I'm reading all experiences so far, the sweat starts to break out slightly. I have done all the possible planning through "GoingElectric" and downloaded the apps from Newmotion, Maingau, ChargeEV, etc. So in theory I would be able to drive to Austria with three stops every 200 km's or so. But somehow I dont feel to comfortable at all with the whole idea. Especially considering all the stories of people saying that the chargers just won't work. In my mind I can already picture the nightmare that would unfold concidering the "load" I'm carrying :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Last week I made a trip from Amsterdam to just beyond Koln. 300 kms each way. I had a 2 hour meeting and left art 07:00. I did it in a VW e-Golf, so the range was about 50% of the I-Pace. All in all, I managed to get home by 22:30. (!).
The charging situation in Germany (A3) is horrible. Most chargers are out of order, stop functioning after 15 minutes and are next to impossible to find. If you do find one, there's typically only 1, so if another car arrived before you did, you have to wait double time. I have to pity the people that go on vacation driving through Germany on days that other EV drivers do the same.
When I told the people at the company I was visiting (and where I arrived way too late as a result of the German chargers), they laughed at me and told me that only Dutch people are stupid enough to drive an EV in Germany... and come to think of it, they are right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
IPNL said:
When I told the people at the company I was visiting (and where I arrived way too late as a result of the German chargers), they laughed at me and told me that only Dutch people are stupid enough to drive an EV in Germany... and come to think of it, they are right.
not in general - located near Amsterdam we've been to Davos, Rome, France, Tuscany (many times) London, Berlin etc since december 2013 driving a Tesla S -like so many other Tesla drivers. . It takes about 10% to 20% more time for charging compared to driving with an ICE. Given that one needs some toilet/dinner etc stop anyway that's just fine. The Tesla superchargers are just awesome, very reliable, between 4 and 32 stalls per location. In-car real-time info on current usage/availability. Integrated in in-car-navigation - no up-front planing needed. It's so easy - I don't understand why the competition does not just copy this model. I just don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
IPNL said:
Last week I made a trip from Amsterdam to just beyond Koln. 300 kms each way. I had a 2 hour meeting and left art 07:00. I did it in a VW e-Golf, so the range was about 50% of the I-Pace. All in all, I managed to get home by 22:30. (!).
The charging situation in Germany (A3) is horrible. Most chargers are out of order, stop functioning after 15 minutes and are next to impossible to find. If you do find one, there's typically only 1, so if another car arrived before you did, you have to wait double time. I have to pity the people that go on vacation driving through Germany on days that other EV drivers do the same.
When I told the people at the company I was visiting (and where I arrived way too late as a result of the German chargers), they laughed at me and told me that only Dutch people are stupid enough to drive an EV in Germany... and come to think of it, they are right.
Did you see/ use the Tank Und Rast fast chargers at the various Raststätter (restaurants, fuel service stations) along the Autobahn? There are many of those in Germany, and my experience with these is that they always work and provide a lot of convenience. I have been from The Netherlands to Stuttgart and Frankfurt multiple times with a Renault Zoe (40kWh battery) using only those chargers along the way, which was perfectly doable. In most cases I experienced that the Zoe was fully charged sooner than that I finished lunch or dinner.
See: https://maps.rast.de/?view=eladestation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
MartijnEV said:
Did you see/ use the Tank Und Rast fast chargers at the various Raststätter (restaurants, fuel service stations) along the Autobahn? There are many of those in Germany, and my experience with these is that they always work and provide a lot of convenience. I have been from The Netherlands to Stuttgart and Frankfurt multiple times with a Renault Zoe (40kWh battery) using only those chargers along the way, which was perfectly doable. In most cases I experienced that the Zoe was fully charged sooner than that I finished lunch or dinner.
See: https://maps.rast.de/?view=eladestation
You're right, at many of these Raststätten there are charging stations. Consider please:

- you'll always find chargers out of service, reason unknown.
- they only provide 50kw. This will result in lonnng breaks for guys with a 90kwh battery.
- positve: Some chargers are free to use.
- I only found chargers with ONE CCS-connetor. If it is occupied you have to wait.

If you are related to Louis Armstrong it is ok for you: „We have all the time in the world." ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Darkhelmet said:
MartijnEV said:
Did you see/ use the Tank Und Rast fast chargers at the various Raststätter (restaurants, fuel service stations) along the Autobahn? There are many of those in Germany, and my experience with these is that they always work and provide a lot of convenience. I have been from The Netherlands to Stuttgart and Frankfurt multiple times with a Renault Zoe (40kWh battery) using only those chargers along the way, which was perfectly doable. In most cases I experienced that the Zoe was fully charged sooner than that I finished lunch or dinner.
See: https://maps.rast.de/?view=eladestation
You're right, at many of these Raststätten there are charging stations. Consider please:

- you'll always find chargers out of service, reason unknown.
- they only provide 50kw. This will result in lonnng breaks for guys with a 90kwh battery.
- positve: Some chargers are free to use.
- I only found chargers with ONE CCS-connetor. If it is occupied you have to wait.

If you are related to Louis Armstrong it is ok for you: „We have all the time in the world." ;)
My last trip to South Germany was a while ago and at that time the Tank&Rast chargers were always free and always operational (and for free indeed!). Bad to hear that the service levels of Tank&Rast fast chargers have decreased so significantly the past quarters... :-(

Secondly: if you want more than 50kW, i.e. 100kW, in Germany, then Ionity is about the only choice at this moment...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I did manage to find 2. One was out of service, and the other one died on me after 15 minutes (but they did charge me €7,95 for that session...). It might have been a stroke of bad luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Some good news:
The brandnews Fastned-station at highway A7 close to Hildesheim (south of Hannover) is working perfectly. Although only one fast charger is operational at the moment. The Maingau card is accepted there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did get my €7,95 charge for all unsuccesfulll charge attempts back, my credit card was invoiced but all orders are cancelled. I need to visit Germany again next month so really hope the situation will improve at the fastchargers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
EDi99 said:
not in general - located near Amsterdam we've been to Davos, Rome, France, Tuscany (many times) London, Berlin etc since december 2013 driving a Tesla S -like so many other Tesla drivers. . It takes about 10% to 20% more time for charging compared to driving with an ICE. Given that one needs some toilet/dinner etc stop anyway that's just fine. The Tesla superchargers are just awesome, very reliable, between 4 and 32 stalls per location. In-car real-time info on current usage/availability. Integrated in in-car-navigation - no up-front planing needed. It's so easy - I don't understand why the competition does not just copy this model. I just don't.
This. It's so logical, only legacy thinking drives this "solution" (despite 5 years of evidence that the Tesla solution works).

This is why we are keeping our Tesla for now, alongside the I-Pace.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top