Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now completed my first full week and 1000 miles with the car including my Mon-Fri daily commute, and am able to share some observations.

First off; my commute consists of 12 miles across the fens on rural A & B roads, then 30 miles of dual-carriageway (including a few miles of 40mph speed-restricted zone through long-term roadworks on the A1), and then 10 miles of urban roads crossing from one side of Milton Keynes to the other. So it's quite a good mix of real-world driving, and, because of the times of day I am doing it, traffic is not a big factor.
Average speed for each trip works out to be 45-50mph.
Preconditioning is set for each outward trip in the morning, and not for the evening return, but in fact it actually has made no difference to the percentage-used I am seeing.

For the past few years while I have been considering how/if an EV could fit into my lifestyle, I needed to be sure that it would comfortably manage my commute, and I wanted to be able to do the daily run using between around 60% SOC capacity (max 70% on a bad day). I wanted (still want) to set a timed charge to around 80-85% during off-peak tariff, and arrive home each night with 20%+ to keep within the battery pack "sweet-spot" of 20-80%, and when I started doing the calculations Tesla was the only game in town so I planned to use the in-built charging functions to keep within these parameters and protect the long-term health of the battery. Obviously, as we know, the I-pace lacks this level of sophistication for charging strategies, and that remains one of my bigger criticisms of the I-pace.

So after my first 1,000 miles here are some of my thoughts:

The car has a range very capable of completing my daily commute of 104-110 miles, and I can drive at motorway speeds with hardly any adapting of my driving style and arrive home with over 40% charge, so no need for hypermiling or twice-a-day charging. This was the critical thing I needed to confirm as, if I had got the man maths wrong, it could have been a very expensive mistake.

I read a lot of posts where people are basing their range on what the Guess O Meter is telling them, and being delighted that it tells them 280 miles (usually after a reset) or equally disappointed that it has shrunk down to less than 200 a little later. My calculations based on doing the same trip 10 times is that emiles used versus actual miles covered is inaccurate by up to 45% (and averages 20% inaccuracy). Therefore using the range that the screen is telling you, either to estimate how far you can travel, or to assess the health of your battery, is pretty much meaningless.
Based on percentage used for actual miles travelled I calculate my real 0-100% range is between 180-208 miles, and averages out to 193 miles (calculated only on the 52 mile each way trips, and ignoring other smaller trips) and I suspect this is about right for the current time of year and temps. I can't see it getting to 240 miles for me unless I change my driving style radically, but anything over 200 miles is going to be a bonus.
It was fairly mild last week and the starting temperatures ranged from +1 to +12 degrees but it looks like the factor that had the most influence on percentage used was on one day where we had heavy rain, which spiked my usage by 2 or 3%. May be different when we get some sub-zero temps, but at the moment rain (and the increased drag and rolling resistance that comes with it) seems to be the dominant factor. I need to gather more data to confirm this though.

All in all I am very pleased with my choice; the I-pace is an extremely comfortable place to be, very quick from A-B when required, and there is no car I would rather have at this time. Also, at the moment, they are extremely exclusive, I have yet to see another one in the wild.
However, not all is perfect though, and here are a few things I am not happy about:

The delay/lag on the parking sensors and cameras is shockingly bad, to the extent I would class them as potentially dangerous. If you manoeuvre at anything more than a very slow crawl you are going to hit the obstacle before the camera or beeps tell you that you have arrived. This may be standard Jaguar, I don't know, but some unsuspecting people coming from other brands are going to get caught out.

The gesture-operated tailgate is a joke. You can stand there for several minutes looking like an idiot waving your foot around trying to find the exact spot to the millimetre where it may operate, until you give up and press the button. I sincerely hope no one has selected it as an extra-cost option because you are going to be extremely disappointed.

The steering wheel controls are very fiddly and sometimes unresponsive, and, worst of all, they feel cheap compared to the quality of the rest of the car.

The whole infotainment system is laggy, and at times counter-intuitive, but anybody who has done any research at all will be aware of that going in. It does also at times seem to have a mind of it's own. Today for example I could get no sound whatsoever out of any speaker (regardless of source, band etc), then after about the 3rd switch-on/off as I did some small trips the radio started up again as normal.

I accept that being an early-adopter I am going to be a bit of a guinea pig for some of the EV technology, but the above are all car related, and as such should never have got through the pre-production sign-off of an automotive manufacturer.

A small point but the Press reviewers seem to be of the opinion that the interior is surprisingly spacious, but my experience is the opposite. There is less interior room and space than you would find in a standard SUV, and also less space between the rear seat and the drivers seat than there is in a Honda CRV for example. It is not at all a problem for me as the interior space is perfectly adequate, but I mention it because anyone who has not actually been inside an I-pace and is expecting it to be like a tardis with room to hold a ballroom dance competition inside may be disappointed.

The essence of an EV has to be centred around the charging routine, and Jaguar seem to have largely overlooked this. For one, the ability to be able to (reliably) preset a charge period is a basic necessity, and this coupled with the inability to end a charging session at a specific SOC is pretty unforgiveable. It means that the battery pack is sitting at 100% SOC for far longer than is ideal and (in the opinion of everyone, apart from Jaguar, who have anything to do with Li-ion battery cells) will hasten the degradation of the battery pack.

The smartphone app is OK in parts, but doesn't seem very successful when trying to get it to actually do something, so I just use it for checking that my car is still charging and to get the data from my trips.

I have picked out the bad things here, and to be honest a decent software upgrade would fix most of them, but on the plus side the powertrain itself is spot-on, cabin quality is great with no squeaks or rattles, ride is smooth (all things that made me choose Jaguar over Tesla) and, small gripes aside, I don't think anyone waiting for their delivery date will be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Excellent information there. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I should get mine next month and am devouring every scrap of data I can get! I have not found anything so far which gives me real concerns that I have made a mistake. I massively prefer the I-Pace to the only other alternative that I would have considered (Tesla), for all the usual reasons. But I do agree that there are areas where Jag has missed the boat (and I am stunned they never came up in testing). Charging time (off-peak people!) and max SOC charge should be absolute givens for an EV today. I am hopeful they will add it, but this will be my first Jag and what others have said about Jag's lack of response to customer suggestions doesn't bode well. However, at the end of the day I'll do what I can. I'm hoping to find a charger which will allow timed charging and/or an SOC limit to be set. Does anyone know of one?

Again, thanks for the review. It really does help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Pacesetter,
Thank you for your in depth analysis.
There might be couple of things that might help you:
1)Gesture tailgate ,I was also getting frustrated but have now it is a complete doddle. Just play around few times & you will no doubt get your sweet spot.
2)Have had the car for over two months & almost 2300 miles with no issues with parking sensors or information centre. Have it checked out by the dealer.
Warm regards,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi Goshdarnit,
If I didn't have a wall box from my previous car would have fitted:
Zappi charger as they seem to have timed charging.
Octopus energy new EV plan will get you Zappi fitted for £379.00 & to work with it special rate between 12am-4am rate of 5p kwh.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Thanks for the reviews guys, very informative.

I would be interested in this too

Goshdarnit said:
'I'm hoping to find a charger which will allow timed charging and/or an SOC limit to be set. Does anyone know of one?

·
Registered
210 Posts
nipri said:
Hi Pacesetter,
1)Gesture tailgate ,I was also getting frustrated but have now it is a complete doddle. Just play around few times & you will no doubt get your sweet spot.
2)Have had the car for over two months & almost 2300 miles with no issues with parking sensors or information centre. Have it checked out by the dealer.
Warm regards,
You are a lucky lucky man nipri. The parking sensors (and camera!) Are a real joke. The infotainment is also way too laggy today again it took the system (and dash!) About 2 minutes be fully ready. So no satnav until that time, no radio , a different dash view etc. I am loving my ipace but I am gettinf frustrated about these fundamental flaws as a don't expect Jaguar to fix them with software upgrades. I am not an expert but these seems to be hardware related.

·
Registered
233 Posts
pivoking said:
nipri said:
Hi Pacesetter,
Warm regards,
You are a lucky lucky man nipri. The parking sensors (and camera!) Are a real joke. The infotainment is also way too laggy today again it took the system (and dash!) About 2 minutes be fully ready. So no satnav until that time, no radio , a different dash view etc. I am loving my ipace but I am gettinf frustrated about these fundamental flaws as a don't expect Jaguar to fix them with software upgrades. I am not an expert but these seems to be hardware related.
Hi pivoking - I have my i-Pace since Dec 3, with latest sifwate on board for Infotainment System. In this week I have driven 1200 km (i.e. many trips with a car/system start) and I don't recognise the 2 min startup time nor the radio issue. My system starts almost instantly and satnav and radio or other music source start without any delay. I'm pretty sure the issues you are experiencing are software related, maybe your i-Pace has'nt received the latest sofware update to the Infortainment System yet? I would recommend to check this with your dealer, this might not (yet) be an OTA update.

·
Registered
233 Posts
-

·
Registered
233 Posts
-

·
Registered
210 Posts
MartijnEV said:
pivoking said:
nipri said:
Hi Pacesetter,
Warm regards,
Hi pivoking - I have my i-Pace since Dec 3, with latest sifwate on board for Infotainment System. In this week I have driven 1200 km (i.e. many trips with a car/system start) and I don't recognise the 2 min startup time nor the radio issue. My system starts almost instantly and satnav and radio or other music source start without any delay. I'm pretty sure the issues you are experiencing are software related, maybe your i-Pace has'nt received the latest sofware update to the Infortainment System yet? I would recommend to check this with your dealer, this might not (yet) be an OTA update.
Tnx Martijn. However the car already got the latest software update. But still a trip to dealer this week to discuss this issue and some others .
If you get in you car tomorrow morning, do me a favour. Just walk to it. Start, push the screen and try to select a place to navigate to (let's say your working address). Very curious how long it will take you :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
To to ensure I am not only trying to be negative: this morning my trip to work did not take 45 minutes by almost 2 hours. But hey, I am smiling because i am in my ipace :F

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
nipri said:
Hi Goshdarnit,
If I didn't have a wall box from my previous car would have fitted:
Zappi charger as they seem to have timed charging.
Octopus energy new EV plan will get you Zappi fitted for £379.00 & to work with it special rate between 12am-4am rate of 5p kwh.
Thanks.
Thanks! Will look into that!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pacesetter, I was also very disappointed by the tailgate gesture, however, I watched the official video from Jaguar and found that instead of wagging your foot under the bumper, you need to do a kicking motion at the corner of the bumper (either side). The kicking motion needs to be pretty quick. For me it now works 100% of the time and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Goshdarnit said:
Excellent information there. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I should get mine next month and am devouring every scrap of data I can get! I have not found anything so far which gives me real concerns that I have made a mistake. I massively prefer the I-Pace to the only other alternative that I would have considered (Tesla), for all the usual reasons. But I do agree that there are areas where Jag has missed the boat (and I am stunned they never came up in testing). Charging time (off-peak people!) and max SOC charge should be absolute givens for an EV today. I am hopeful they will add it, but this will be my first Jag and what others have said about Jag's lack of response to customer suggestions doesn't bode well. However, at the end of the day I'll do what I can. I'm hoping to find a charger which will allow timed charging and/or an SOC limit to be set. Does anyone know of one?

Again, thanks for the review. It really does help.
Hi
I think that the Zappi might be fit the bill, also great if you have solar panels.

·
Registered
233 Posts
pivoking said:
Tnx Martijn. However the car already got the latest software update. But still a trip to dealer this week to discuss this issue and some others .
If you get in you car tomorrow morning, do me a favour. Just walk to it. Start, push the screen and try to select a place to navigate to (let's say your working address). Very curious how long it will take you :)
Hi pivoking, I did that. Just a couple of seconds and I can start nav, select a destination, and go!

·
Registered
273 Posts
MartijnEV said:
pivoking said:
Hi pivoking, I did that. Just a couple of seconds and I can start nav, select a destination, and go!
I've also timed it and I generally get access to the NAV within one minute of unlocking the car door. The one minute includes opening the door, entering the car, switching it on and waiting for the NAV to be available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
mclarenpaul said:
MartijnEV said:
pivoking said:
I've also timed it and I generally get access to the NAV within one minute of unlocking the car door. The one minute includes opening the door, entering the car, switching it on and waiting for the NAV to be available.
Tnx guys. So it is just my slow car or my enormous impatience! :) Although a minute in my book is still a long period of time to get your navigation to work. But then again, maybe I am too impatient

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.