Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

First full home charge

16K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  ChrisMc 
#1 ·
See my first home charge to capacity with my new home charge point from charge master 214 miles
Max charge - seems low to me any comments?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What, the indicated range seems too low? It's actually about what I would expect - we know that WLTP figures are significant overestimates.

But, at the same time, it will depend almost entirely AIUI on how and where you were driving it before charging. The range will be based on the average watts/mile figure in the pre-charge period - in this respect it's much the same as an mpg indication on a conventional car. So if you'd just come back from an extended motorway drive at 80mph then you'd expect to see a fairly low figure for 100%, maybe even eg 180 miles. Conversely if you been doing a rural drive with lots of limited acceleration and then regen with an average speed of eg 40mph you could see 230-240 miles range. Isn't this why Bjorn refers to the range indicator as the 'GOM', ie Guess-O-Meter? It's only an indication and only as reliable as the extent to which your next drive resembles your recent past drive(s).

#3 ·
Hi Kororu,

Thanks for sharing and good to see real owners with real cars now giving information. Will be interesting to see how this evolves in the future based on your driving habits. Although, 214 miles is not too bad. A general question, is it OK to charge regularly to 100%? I understood this was bad for the batteries.

G
#4 ·
mclarenpaul said:
Hi Kororu,

Thanks for sharing and good to see real owners with real cars now giving information. Will be interesting to see how this evolves in the future based on your driving habits. Although, 214 miles is not too bad. A general question, is it OK to charge regularly to 100%? I understood this was bad for the batteries.
Fast Charging to 100% is bad ... slow charging to 100% is fine.

And why I say "slow" I mean "fast" ... not Rapid .... ohh this stupid naming system! I mean 7kw. compared to 50kw Rapid.

#5 ·
Hi Kororu, My first charge was 261 miles. My charging has not gone down from 255 miles. It will get better with time according to someone high up at JLR HQ. Cold temperature has a bearing in reducing the estimated mileage.

#7 ·
Gdank said:
mclarenpaul said:
Hi Kororu,

Fast Charging to 100% is bad ... slow charging to 100% is fine.

And why I say "slow" I mean "fast" ... not Rapid .... ohh this stupid naming system! I mean 7kw. compared to 50kw Rapid.
Besides, 100% is not 100%. The battery should have at least a capacity of 90 kWh, of which you as a the owner/driver has about ~85 kWh to ~86 kWh available (about 95 to 96%). The remaining ~4 kWh should be split between a top and a bottom margin (of which I do not know the ratio). So that the car never ever really tries to hit physical 100% and more importantly never ever let the battery slip to zero. Both extremes are bad for batteries, especially the zero.
When you see a WLTP range being quoted for a BEV, start by reducing it by 5%, no matter what BEV it is. You'll be a bit closer to the theoretical maximum range achievable while driving the car in the same specific and artifical conditions as the WLTP tests impose. In all cases that range value will be offset from reality driving experience, being a ICE car or a BEV makes no difference.
The only value of WLTP range figures is to help compare one car and another, based on a specific test which you can be confident it has been performed in very controlled similar conditions. The purpose of those standardized tests is not to give real life experience data, but standardized comparable data. Over the time those tests have evolved to try to get closer to real life range expectancy because car makers tend to present the range as a real-life attainable range, or forget to explain what a WLTP range is and is not. In that view, WLTP is much better than the very old NEDC test. And the EPA test is generally much closer to common life results. But in the end, the real value of these announced ranges is to be able to compare two cars ranges on paper based on their common test pattern. Not to draw conclusion about wether I can drive from Paris to Brussels or not in one shot, not even talking of wether I will drive on motorway of through countryside.

#11 ·
My best so far is 285 miles on home charge you have to treat her gently to get good range. I've been 160 miles out and back to day with 1 x 30 mins fast charge on Motorway took me 4 stops to find One (Ecotricity) that was working properly though that's nothing new! So 320 miles that's my furthest run to date in One day. Much Much better than my previous BMW i3 range extender it looks like and drives like a proper grown up premium car, and no more Petrol stops very happy so far.

#13 ·
Thank you all for your comments I have reset mine just to see how we get on loving every minute of driving the I-Beast

#14 ·
Liberal_Baggie said:
My best so far is 285 miles on home charge you have to treat her gently to get good range. I've been 160 miles out and back to day with 1 x 30 mins fast charge on Motorway took me 4 stops to find One (Ecotricity) that was working properly though that's nothing new! So 320 miles that's my furthest run to date in One day. Much Much better than my previous BMW i3 range extender it looks like and drives like a proper grown up premium car, and no more Petrol stops very happy so far.
That's good news, 320 miles on the motorway with only a 30 min intermediate charge is good enough for me.

#16 ·
current iPace has only a 1 phase charger and you have 1 phase in your home.
The iPace 1p charger is limited to 7.4kW (ie: 240v x32A). So you can charge from home using a 1 phase home charge point at any current up to 32A - any more than that and the iPace cant use it so even a higher supply won't help.

So you only need 32A for the iPace.

Of course, your home consumes other stuff. I think in the UK that standard supply is 50 or 60 A ?
An upgraded 80A supply will leave you with 80-32 = 48A for other stuff which is huge.

Depending on what other stuff you have you might not need the 80A upgrade, but only you can decide......

#18 ·
Billy Bunter said:
I think in the UK that standard supply is 50 or 60 A ?
An upgraded 80A supply will leave you with 80-32 = 48A for other stuff which is huge.
Older homes have 60amp supply newer normally have 100amp in UK

#19 ·
You have to drive in Eco mode with little use of anything and yes then with only 30 miles or so left charging overnight I got 285 miles of range the next day available.But if you push it like a Jag then it's more like 235.Go slowly and the range is remarkable. But when you want the full heated seats and and a bit of fun it goes like stink.18 inch wheels SE White Stourbridge

#20 ·
Billy Bunter said:
Depending on what other stuff you have you might not need the 80A upgrade, but only you can decide......
You need the advice of a certified electrical engineer / approved installer unless you are qualified yourself.

#21 ·
Thank for the comments about the requirements for your home supply to accomodate a home charger. I currently have 60AMP, as my house is an older build. To go to 100 AMP isn't cost effective, as it would need a whole lot of trench work etc. As a result I'm upgrading to 80AMP, which I understand will be suffice for a 7 kWh home charger. Especially if charging over night, when little else is consuming any power.
Time will tell. I was interested to know what other people had experienced, as I hadn't even thought about having to upgrade my home electricity supply, until I had placed my order!

#22 ·
Cornishblue said:
Thank for the comments about the requirements for your home supply to accomodate a home charger. I currently have 60AMP, as my house is an older build. To go to 100 AMP isn't cost effective, as it would need a whole lot of trench work etc. As a result I'm upgrading to 80AMP, which I understand will be suffice for a 7 kWh home charger. Especially if charging over night, when little else is consuming any power.
Time will tell. I was interested to know what other people had experienced, as I hadn't even thought about having to upgrade my home electricity supply, until I had placed my order!
But the question to me is still why you had to upgrade your home electricity supply, because 60Amp is more than enough in normal situations. Even with 7,5kW charging in use, you still have 28 Amp available which seems more than enough for any normal house? In The Netherlands, many people have either 3x25Amp or 1x40 Amp. The 1x40 is a bit tricky, but there are solutions to lower the output to the car when you consume a lot of energy in the rest of your house (load balancing). So during the night, you would get full power to the car, while the car will charge slower when you use induction cooking, your kettle and your oven at the same time ;-)

Is 60Amp really insufficient for your situation?

#23 ·
Snoerd said:
But the question to me is still why you had to upgrade your home electricity supply, because 60Amp is more than enough in normal situations. Even with 7,5kW charging in use, you still have 28 Amp available which seems more than enough for any normal house? In The Netherlands, many people have either 3x25Amp or 1x40 Amp. The 1x40 is a bit tricky, but there are solutions to lower the output to the car when you consume a lot of energy in the rest of your house (load balancing). So during the night, you would get full power to the car, while the car will charge slower when you use induction cooking, your kettle and your oven at the same time ;-)

Yeah wondering what kind of electronic gear people have - my house runs on 1x 35A and because I have no gas connection we also cook on Electric,
never had any issues with insufficient capacity.

That said I am considering upgrade my house to 3x 25A due to the incoming I-pace as drawing an extra 16A might cause problems :-(. My earlier plan for 32A load balancing I scratched as too much hassle for too little gain also the monthly cost for load balancing was not worth it - I can charge 32A at work without problem, there is a free 50kW DC loader at the nearby Lidl and any direction I travel for longer distances there is a Fastned charging station most being upgraded to 175kW.

#24 ·
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Snoerd said:

Yeah wondering what kind of electronic gear people have - my house runs on 1x 35A and because I have no gas connection we also cook on Electric,
never had any issues with insufficient capacity.

That said I am considering upgrade my house to 3x 25A due to the incoming I-pace as drawing an extra 16A might cause problems :-(. My earlier plan for 32A load balancing I scratched as too much hassle for too little gain also the monthly cost for load balancing was not worth it - I can charge 32A at work without problem, there is a free 50kW DC loader at the nearby Lidl and any direction I travel for longer distances there is a Fastned charging station most being upgraded to 175kW.
Isn't switching to 3x25A in fact a downgrade..? You'll have max 25A available to charge your I-Pace, while you've got 35A now... Investing in loadbalancing would be a better idea in my opinion?

#25 ·
Melkie said:
Isn't switching to 3x25A in fact a downgrade..? You'll have max 25A available to charge your I-Pace, while you've got 35A now... Investing in loadbalancing would be a better idea in my opinion?
Well going from 35A to in total 75A for me is a massive upgrade to ensure sufficient capacity for the long term future.
I expect my current house runs between 25A-35A meaning adding 16A charger will for sure put it over capacity and don't want to hassle about timing when to charge. Global warming already made me think to install air conditioning so would need that extra capacity anyway.

Even with load balancing the max I can get is 25A instead of 16A - better for sure but for me not worth the monthly money. For me home charging will be my secondary way of charging, charging at work at 32A is my primary way of charging - this also being far cheaper for my employer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.